Forums Latest Members
  1. stokey Feb 25, 2015

This is my 65 speedy I know the full history of the watch from new, it was serviced by Omega in the mid 80, s
    and a new plexiglass fitted, it appears at that time the factory retouched the lumes?, I know the dial, bezel, pushers
    and crown etc are all original and dial , hands have 2015-02-25 12.15.40.jpg 2015-02-25 12.10.40.jpg 2015-02-25 12.04.22.jpg faded evenly it appears.
    It was last serviced late 2012, inc fitting new main spring, runs perfect , pushers are smooth and resets to zero.
    Comments on general condition please.

2015-02-25 12.11.19.jpg 2015-02-25 12.05.10.jpg
  2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 25, 2015

Photos are slightly awkward to interpret because of lighting and angle. Better than most though.

Correct non pro, close T, AML dial. With slight tropical accents. Untidy lume, but I cannot decide why. I would not have called re lume until you suggested it. I like the dial.

Hands are probably replacements, but can't quite make out for sure. Don't like them.

Nice bezel, DO90 in not bad condition.

Over polished case. Many of these reference are, but it's still a shame, and again, it is possible the photos exaggerate this.

On a watch like this, if the dial looks nice, the things I mention tend to be overlooked by buyers at the moment. Well those on the bay or Antiquorum.

For values see the price chart on www.speedmater101.com.

Edited Feb 25, 2015
  3. richardew Feb 25, 2015

I wonder if the hands were touched up when the dial was. I hope that that relume wasn't done by Omega. The application is uneven and on several of the plots (6,7,9,& 10) extends beyond the plots.

4. Lofidelity Feb 25, 2015

5. TNTwatch Feb 25, 2015

6. stokey Feb 25, 2015

Well spoted guys!, it was on ebay but the transaction did not go though,
    It is great to have some opinions as to what is not correct, just to clear up
    a few points, I made suggestion on the lume to find out if this was done by Omega
    as matter of course during a service of glass change?, I know when it was done
    in the 80, s all I asked for was a service and glass.
    The dial and hands have not been changed, the bezel is original.
    I was going to relist it, but is it worth getting the lume corrected if possible first?
    It is a honest watch that I have had from new, it seems a shame to mess with,
    just my thoughts.

7. TNTwatch Feb 25, 2015

Oops! So I guess the winner bailed because he read the other thread after winning it. :whipped:

I think Omega would rather replace the whole dial than relume it. My observation is tritium material does not always degrade to the same shape, form or colour, even on the same watch. Can you shine a flash light or a bright light source on the watch and let us know how long the luminosity last and any spots brighter or last longer the some others (including on the hands and dial)? If they all last just a few second with the same dullness then I think they are original. Even so, however, most people would prefer everything to be consistent and conforming to a perceived standard/norm and put more value on it though.

8. justwatching Feb 25, 2015

Does omega service center relume dials? I thought they just change the whole dial?

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 25, 2015

In the 80s I would have expected they'd be replacing, but I guess the question is was it actually serviced by Omega Bienne or was it serviced through an AD or a local service agent in the 80s.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 25, 2015

well the OP photos are better than the ebay ones

11. stokey Feb 25, 2015

Hi thanks for that info TNT very helpful , yes you are right on the bail out!, tbo it was a nightmare.
    I am no expert but looking at achieved sales for watches to my non expert eye were not as good as
    mine, I put a honest description forward with loads of photos shot in macro, and what I thought
    was a fair price.
    Anyway thats history so back to the lume!, the plots that have been done, hands all lose there
    luminosity at the same rate, around a minute I would say.

12. TNTwatch Feb 25, 2015

Do they have the same brightness or some brighter than others? If the same, I do not see any reason to say they've been redone.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 25, 2015

A fair price? mm. That's always a hard definition.

Your asking was 4750stg which is $7360.

For this money I would expect no problems on the dial, and a less polished case.
    With this reference I don't think anyone will steal it via a no reserve Ebay auction. I honestly feel it is worth $4000 - $5000.

To reach the "good" category the case cannot be polished, the dial must be seen to be untouched. I initially thought that this was worth more, because of the brown tint shown in the OP photo, but not in the ebay.

Recent 105.003's have sold over a wide price range. It has become clear that a small difference in quality, such as the dial, can result in a large difference in resulting sale price.

If the dial is very good, with pleasing colour to the body and the plots, then it is possible to break $7500, possibly $8000. But to be this high, the dial must be unblemished and the case not overpolished, and of course the bezel and hands correct.

ANY small defect, or omission can result in the price plummeting.

Which is all part of the fun

gemini4, Lofidelity and TNTwatch like this.
  14. stokey Feb 25, 2015

Dsio, you have valid point it went via one of the largest Omega watch dealers for plexiglass and service, so who
    actually carried out the work is anybodies guess , and 30 odd years ago the paperworks long gone.
    The latest service was done by a guy that is highly qualified, and has serviced /repaired watches all
    his career, Rolex/Omega dealer, his only comments were favorable as to its condition.

15. stokey Feb 25, 2015

Sorry TNT, you can see a small difference I would say there is a 'step' the proud area is that members are pointing out,
    is brighter than the background if that makes sense? ! But all the components glow the same.

16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 25, 2015

I know that there are some on here that think a 321 can be cared for by a "highly qualified" person, but unless he has a parts account, or a stock, then from my experience, he can do no more than clean and oil.

This makes it less valuable to me, not more.

I do not believe Omega would relume.

Look this is an interesting watch. But it is what it is. A well used example that someone who wears watches will love and enjoy greatly. This category does not command the rare air price of a "Good" condition watch.

imexian likes this.
  17. TNTwatch Feb 25, 2015

I think they are fine in terms of lume originality since the background areas appear to have less lume material left. The excellent analysis from Mr. Spacefruit is more important though.

18. Davidt Feb 25, 2015

I still think this is a relume. I can't see how the lume could have stayed such a neutral colour and yet expanded as it has.

Hitting it with a camera flash and then taking a picture of it with no flash, in a dark room will reveal a lot.

Without any other knowledge I'd also be thinking the hands were replaced at the same time as the lume was done.

It's possible both are original, I'd just be surprised.

What is the history? Was it worn daily for ten years then put in a drawer, or has it hardly been wirn since new?

19. stokey Feb 25, 2015

David,
    Worn as best for its early years until plexglass and service, then put away, only really had more use in
    last few years up to last service, I have several other watches so had a easy life I guess.
    My thoughts at present are to either relist or wear and keep as is and enjoy,
    do not think the trouble and expense of trying to correct the lume is worth it.
    But thanks for all your comments.

20. Davidt Feb 25, 2015

Try and get a pic of the lume in a dark room once its been excited by a camera flash or other bright light. Some pics from a couple of side angles would also help determine case condition.

Like has already been said, these can command a pretty penny. People just (rightly) want to be sure they know what they're getting before they part with their cash.

Then again, if it was mine, I wouldn't sell it!!