Forums Latest Members
  1. JohnSteed Dec 17, 2013

Thinking about this one ... but wanted to check if anything seems out of place.

From a newbie view, lots to love here.

Dealer, not eBay, indicates this is all original and placement of chrono hand at six o'clock belongs at 9 o'clock [was put there in a service, perhaps, for aesthetics].

Thanks in advance

omega-speedmaster.jpg

omega-speedmaster.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2013

Dial has T-T marked on it for tritium, which doesn't fit with a 2998, alpha hands are off a Seamaster and don't reach the outer edge, caseback has had it, and the lugs are polished round.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 17, 2013

Just saw he's asking 9,400 Euro online... he's kidding himself

4. JohnSteed Dec 18, 2013

Thanks - This makes me want to quit vintage Speedies.:(

Especially for that much, I wonder if they know? ::facepalm1::

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 18, 2013

003 dial

wrong pushers

movement from a -61 or -62

bezel is nice though

not worth a third.

6. JohnSteed Dec 18, 2013

Wow!!! a franken? Looking at the offering, says all original. Caveat emptor and all that ... Better still to ask a few experts here!!

:eek:

7. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 18, 2013

wow,wow...... that does not make it a FRANKEN; whatever that means anyway. for a 1962 there are a few flaws, but nothing dramatic. it has seen a few alterations and is not all original. the pusher`s have the wrong "bullets", to make up for the movement holder thickness. but, again, nothing dramatic. exept for the price. that is dramatic. $ 5-6000 is better. kind regards. achim..... i know of a very nice one in the USA......

JohnSteed likes this.
  8. cristos71 Dec 18, 2013

The price really doesn't surprise me, there are two Amsterdam dealers with actual premises and they seem always to be extremely expensive with everything they sell.

Nice for window shopping, but that's about it.

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 18, 2013

I respectfully have to disagree about it being nothing dramatic.

The heart of any watch is the dial, and here is an expensive example with not only an incorrect dial, also the wrong pushers and the wrong hands, and the shop cant even organize the correct subdial hands. A watch without the most central elements is surely fairly dramatic?

A 2998 dial is very hard to find, as are the correct hands. Possible but challenging. I have not seen a dial for sale on the internet at all.

I suppose it is a good basis for an ongoing restoration, at a price.....but why bother when there are as WW points out plenty of decent ones available with the correct parts.

Also is is a 2998-62. Of all the 2998's this is the one I would least choose. I would choose a -1 (because its the first) or a -2 (if it had the lollipop) or the -3 because I have never seen one. I realize that is just me, being picky.

10. JohnSteed Dec 18, 2013

Much to consider here, given price at which the watch is offered. I really had not seen the issues you are pointing out. I do appreciate these comments - Please, keep them coming. Thanks

The movement - I'm guessing its good and no problem since that has escaped comments, so far ??

11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2013

2998's are the trickiest, especially as there are 3 variations. Start with the later models as they are easier to learn and identify - 105.003, 105.012 and 145.012.

JohnSteed likes this.
  12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 18, 2013

I don't care for the look of that movement + the spacer looks like it was attacked by a rodent. Achim mentioned the problem with, "bullets", i.e., the Zero Stem/Hour lever combo, it looks to me that they are replaced with some sort of homemade replacements = trouble.

13. JohnSteed Dec 18, 2013

Vintage ... Life lessons! Love the challenge though. Got one 145.012, getting one 105.003 soon. Missed out on a nice 105.012 recently ... 2998 driving me up the wall. That's as it should be, I guess. Still love it!

edit: Still love the chase, not that timepiece at that price..

14. JohnSteed Dec 18, 2013

thinking all the cash this one costs and issues not disclosed by seller (and not to mention headache) you've all saved me from ... Guess a restoration project is ok, but really should start below ten grand, right?

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 18, 2013

John
    I understand.
    Be as patient as you can, but my own experience is that I do not really learn until I own.
    Its not a cheap way to learn, but it is the way I learn - I tried the sitting around reading method and it just doesn't work.
    My first 2998 was this:

P1110744.jpg

Its shocking, the movement number was 24m and the dial is brand new. It did come with these hands, which I took off:

P1110735.jpg

It got me started on hunting down all the right parts to go in it, but in the end i realize the only value is in the case. It is prohibitive to buy in the parts, except to be very, very patient. Which is why it is still looking like that. To be fair, it was $3000 so I don't give myself a hard time. But the experience has enabled me, or shall I say catalyzed my ability to buy this:
    (Which was a little more than $3000 I can tell you....)
    2013-06-14-23.28.37 ZS PMax.jpg

Notice the focus stitching? look at the second hand(s)!

Happy hunting! Don't give up, and don't stop asking questions.

JohnSteed likes this.
  16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 18, 2013

Prices?

5k for a multiple problem watch, post -2
    10k for a black dial Base 1000 -1 or -2 just serviced looking nice and unpolished.
    20k for a perfect example with a perfect brown dial.

And everything in between, which is of course the challenge!

NiklasARvid likes this.
  17. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 18, 2013

Disagree about the brown dial - perfect example will have the original dial totally unblemished. ;)

watchyouwant likes this.
  18. JohnSteed Dec 18, 2013

Thanks to all!! Comment are very helpful

Will get to 'work' so all this is assimilated practically

::stirthepot::

19. JohnSteed Dec 20, 2013

Perhaps as others may think, but more so IMHO (as a newbie) ... something I just wanna get off my chest

Frankenwatches ("FWs") are made up of part(s) from other watches, likely assembled to make a complete watch or to enhance appearance to an unsuspecting buyer. Sure, for some, FWs could potentially be great bargains if all a person seeks is a bit of 'cool factor' for the wrist. Seems FWs may take on negative vibe if a seller doesn't disclose to a potential buyer the watch is assembled from parts taken from other watch(es), even if the parts are 'original' in terms of manufacture... LoL. If not original to that particular watch [or period?], seems original would be not really be accurate a reflection in spirit. A buyer should really get the truth about what's staring at them in the headlights (meaning what buyer is looking at, contemplating a purchase).

At approx $12k I may not LoL at all.

Many Thanks for all your insights. This is a great forum.

20. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Dec 20, 2013

yes and no. vintage watches change hands a lot over the years. or watchmakers repair them or change things. we will never know, unless youy believe the term " one owner watch " so, disclosure only works as far as the last owner....... kind regards. achim