Forums Latest Members
  1. Psych Jun 7, 2014

Back in February I bought a bezel-less 2915 through the Watches for Sale part of this forum. I know that I am never going to find an original 2915 replacement bezel. I have bought a new one which was advertised on ebay as suitable for a 2915, but when I try it on the watch the effect is that the bezel is too dominant a feature compared with images of original watches. I have noticed this in some of the other 2915s pictured with modern replacement bezels and it is a bit displeasing.

I think my options are to (1) leave the watch incomplete but original, (2) learn to live with an over dominant new bezel, (3) ask my watch mender to somehow grind the base of the bezel so that it sits in a less obtrusive position.

Are there other alternatives? I'd be really interested to know what forum members would do.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 7, 2014

Actually the bezel you have is 1mm larger than the original.

Also, an original bezel on your watch would have lost profile over time.

I am in the process of "adjusting" a bezel now. It is a slow process, as me, the bezel and the watch are rarely in the same place at the same time.

I feel the new bezels are far too new and fat compared to the old, and while grinding some metal off the edges and distressing the rest wont disguise the modern font, it will look a whole lot better.

Psych likes this.
  3. Psych Jun 7, 2014

Truly very helpful - many thanks. Do please post some images of how it turns out. To my eye, the most attractive -1s and -2s have bezels that are worn so that you have to look twice to see they are there.

4. NiklasARvid Jun 8, 2014

I just rounded off the edges on a bezel for a 2915-ish 105.003-franken I had a while back, easy and ok.
    [​IMG]

Psych and Spacefruit like this.
  5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 8, 2014

On another note, were you able to locate the correct dial for the watch?

6. Psych Jun 8, 2014

No Mike - Sadly not. Finding 2915 dials might be easier than stainless steel bezels - but still very difficult. If anyone knows where I might find one, I'd be grateful for a tip off.

Niklas - Franken or whatever, your rounding off of that bezel makes the watch look much more attractive than many of the real 2915s I have seen with replacement bezels. Great job and I will show your image to my watchmaker with instructions to try and copy what you have done.

Thanks to you both for your interest and advice.

Spacefruit likes this.