Forums Latest Members
  1. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Hello All, I am brand new here so I appreciate any help/advice that you may be able to give me.

My father recently passed away and I inherited his Omega Speedmaster Pro.

I know that it hadn't been worn for over 2 decades but just stored away so therefore I have sent it to Omega to firstly find out what model of watch it was and the year of manufacture, I asked about the year because after doing a bit of research the back plate didn't have any working about first watch on the moon etc, so I thought it could possibly be slightly before the moon watch release.

Omega have confirmed it is a 1969 manufactured watch but that's about all I know.

Omega are advising that I have a full service on the mechanism and to replace the dial, bezel, pushers, crown and plexiglas crystal.

After looking around on your forums and previously on others I am on the understanding that if I get it serviced it would be best to not replace the dial and bezel which I think look in pretty ok condition or would you suggest that I agree for Omega to replace these?

I will proceed with having the mechanism fully serviced and also a new plexiglas, possibly pushers and crown also, but not sure about getting it polished.

If you could let me know if what I am saying about is the correct thing to do or if you have any other advice I would be very grateful. Details and pics of the watch are below, apologies for the bad images but they were taken with my phone in bad lighting. 20170612_213306.jpg 20170612_221126.jpg 20170612_214754a.jpg

Watch Specification: Collection SPEEDMASTER
    Brand Omega
    Watch Reference 145022 -69 ST
    Serial Number 3131xxx9
    Movement Type CHRONO MANUAL AUTOMATIC CAL.
    Dial Color BLACK
    Size MEN
    Case Type STEEL
    Bracelet Type STEEL
    Bracelet n° 1170633

Thanks in advance

Justin

nonuffinkbloke and Vulffi like this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 27, 2017

DO NOT SEND TO OMEGA FOR SERVICE!!! GET IT BACK!!! Where are you located?

propervinyl and mr_yossarian like this.
  3. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Just outside London UK. Any reason Omega is a no no? Thx

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 27, 2017

Omega's policy it to put the watch in "like new" condition which destroys the collector value and is usually more expensive than watchmakers who are sympathetic to vintage watches. It's your father's watch so you're probably not going to sell it but you probably want to keep it in the condition your father knew it.

You're lucky to be in the UK, you have two good choices that I'm aware of: STS http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk/ or Simon Freese http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/ If you do a site search for either, you'll see they are both highly respected.

5. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Awesome, thanks so much for the advice, I will immediately recall my watch from Omega! :)

mr_yossarian and efauser like this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 27, 2017

Just to add my 2c. The main advantage you will have when dealing with STS or Simon Freese (there may be others recommended) is that they will discuss and advise just how much should be done to strike a balance between mechanical reliability and vintage preservation. It's not an all or nothing choice as per Omega.

I can understand the warnings about Omega and their service policy and these have been dissected ad nauseam. If you want to search this forum, you'll find plenty of discussions to allow you to make an informed choice.

7. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Ok thanks understood about this now, I will for sure be contacting Simon Freese for a chat. He does have a 3 month waiting list but hey ho that's not an issue. Thanks again for the advice people

8. mr_yossarian Sep 27, 2017

STS is excellent too, even after Simon has left them :) So you might contact both to see how long it would take.

9. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Okey dokey good shout thanks I will.

10. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 27, 2017

One thing you may want to consider is ordering an Extract of the Archives from Omega, while they have it. Then you would have Omega's records to support the provenance of your father's watch. You can do a site search for more information.

propervinyl and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  11. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Ah ok..something I didn't know about but sounds like a good plan, thanks again efauser :)

12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 27, 2017

You're welcome. Please keep us updated on your progress and, of course, post photos after service.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  13. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Yes for sure, I'll do that with pleasure :)

propervinyl likes this.
  14. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Sep 27, 2017

Hello @Buzz73 . Lovely watch mate!:)

I came here last year with my Dad's watch in very much the same circumstances as you. All the advice I got was the same as you are getting now. It is excellent advice and I'm pleased I took it. I drive up to London from Dorset on a regular basis and arranged to nip over to Swiss Time Services, in Essex, in March this year.

My Omega Speedmaster 105.012-65 was expertly assessed by Simon Freese and serviced thoroughly but in a way that preserved it's vintage components. The results were very good indeed.
    As you have been informed Simon is no longer with STS, but this now gives owners and collectors additional choice for top quality vintage watch service and repairs . 'For Gawds sake' don't let Omega start 'fakkin about' with it!:eek:

(As requested in your reply below) Here it is before the service. Dirty with incorrect (although now vintage) service hands and crown. The bezel had somehow rotated to an incorrect position and the crystal had some scratches.
    20170115_013348-1.jpg

It went to STS in need of a full service and with 50 years of grime. Here is how it came back. All correct parts with a complete service, cleaned but not polished. They just did what was needed to bring it up to scratch. The 1171/633 bracelet is an early 1970's service replacement that my Dad had fitted.
    20170503_163331.jpg
    20170515_173002-1-1.jpg
    20170507_170222-1-1.jpg

You will get lots of great advice on this forum Buzz. In addition the web site 'Speedmaster101' which is written by a well respected member of this forum, @Spacefruit, should answer any questions you have regarding your watch.

Also if you live near London you may want to go along to one of the 'Time4apint' meet-ups organised by Chris, @tyrantlizardrex. They meet up in London once a month.I went a few months back, it was a very interesting evening and I got some helpful face to face advice from expert collectors.

Cheers.:thumbsup:
    Jonathan.

Edited Sep 27, 2017
  15. ck77 Sep 27, 2017

Welcome to the forum.

Your serial is quite close to mine, 31317xxx
    Production in April 1971

You may use this link below created by our wonderful forummer here to check the production date.

https://www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com/productiondateprediction/

Nathan1967 likes this.
  16. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Thanks Jonathan and yep so pleased I came on board here and asked some question! Do you have pics of before and after for your speedy that I can take a look at?

Nathan1967 and nonuffinkbloke like this.
  17. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Sep 27, 2017

Just edited the post.

18. Buzz73 Sep 27, 2017

Hi ck77, interesting! I tried the link but it also said April 71 predicted, but Omega say 1969. I have requested an Extract of Archives as recommended by efauser, so will hopefully know a bit more soon

19. ck77 Sep 27, 2017

The 69 is the reference stamped behind the caseback, not the production date.

You may also read more here, also created by our forummer.

http://speedmaster101.com/145-022-69/

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  20. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 27, 2017

Once you get your extract, upload it to www.ilovemyspeedmaster.com to further refine the database.

propervinyl likes this.