Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 1863 completely stopped working

1. Jon_Dong Dec 20, 2018

I just bought a second hand Speedmaster,a 2006 cal 1863 privately. All was going well for the first 3 days of ownership but the bracelet needed a polish and a link putting in as it was too tight. I took it to a local, reputable jewler and then did a great job. The problem was that when I got it back, nothing was working! The second hand, chronograph, all of it completely jammed? The only way it begin to tick over was if you applied upwards pressure to the crown and the second had would start to move along with the chrono second hand if it was engaged.

Not really sure how it could go so wrong. You can repeatedly push the chrono stop button and it clicks every time and not just when disengaging it.

Does anyone have any ideas. I have taken it back to the shop and they have sent it to their watch maker. I'm not sure if they are liable as they didn't do anything to the internals. However, it did go in a working watch and came out the opposite.

Any help appreciated. It's a beautiful watch and I really wanted to have it for Xmas day.

2. Lbreak Dec 20, 2018

in the worst case, you might want to consider sending it back to Omega for a complete service. They will replace all damaged parts and restore the watch back to factory standard.

2006 is still modern, I won't bother too much about Omega replacing components. Be prepared to pay quite a bit for that service though, I remembered it would be near 1k dollars for chronograph, the exact price is listed on Omega website.

Jon_Dong likes this.
  3. JeremyS Dec 20, 2018

I’d bit the bullet and send it into Omega. The full service is $750, and covers most commonly replaced parts plus a two year warranty.

Jon_Dong likes this.
  4. Jon_Dong Dec 20, 2018

It was only just serviced by WatchFinder 6 months ago. The guy I bought it off got it from them and I spoke to the company to make sure he wasn't having me on. Be gutted if it's a full service. Watchfinder will not pass the warranty on with a private sale.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 20, 2018

How well do you know the person you bought it from? Perhaps they can return it to watchfinder for repair under the warranty.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 20, 2018

How did you buy it? If eBay unwind the sale. Even if not, speak to the seller, he sold it you as a working watch and he may do the right thing and take it back and deal with Watchfinder himself. There is a warranty there presumably, it’s just that you can’t access it. I would also have some questions for the jeweller who did the link. It seems odd it just seized up after he worked in it. Perhaps he dropped it, which would make it his problem and not Watchfinders.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Jon_Dong Dec 20, 2018

That's looking like an option. I don't know him but he has been in contact and the process was smooth and easy.

8. Jon_Dong Dec 20, 2018

I've yet to meet a jeweller or any business for that matter that will own up to a mistake they have made. I'll see what they come back with and if they won't do it for free, i'll go back to Watchfinder through the seller.

9. Lbreak Dec 20, 2018

agree, it is really difficult for you to prove that the jeweller caused damage which led to the current state of your watch…

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2018

And this is exactly why many watchmakers (including me) won't do small repairs, because no matter if the problem is related to the work I do or not, once I touch the watch I'm "it" in the game of tag and responsible for anything that might go wrong...

So if this watch has an 1863 inside, then it has a display back - can you post a well lit and in focus photo of the movement please?

Have you check the external surfaces of the watch case for any damage, like dents?

Two things come to mind that might be causing this, so if you can get back to me on the two questions above, I'll do what I can to assist with a possible diagnosis.

Cheers, Al

hkrauss, WYO_Watch, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  11. Jon_Dong Dec 21, 2018

I really appreciate you reply and appreciate your point of view.

The jeweler sent it to their watch make to look at and hopefully sort out so I can't post a pic at the moment. I'll see what they say and let you know.

Regards and merry xmas

12. Jon_Dong Dec 21, 2018

Heard back from the jeweler and it's a movement issue. They quoted 500 quid but have agreed to cover it. Sounds like a largely inflated price but I'm not paying it so happy days. 4 week wait though.

Doc Savage likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2018

Did they say what the issue is and what they are doing to resolve it?

If it's a full service, the price is actually pretty cheap - or at least far from being "inflated"

14. Jon_Dong Dec 21, 2018

Not sure to be honest. As long as it comes back working I won't ask anymore questions

15. michael e Still learning. Dec 21, 2018

People who polish watches must be aware that the vibration from polishing can cause screws to come loose and fall into the movement?
    Probably just a case of a loose screw?

16. Jon_Dong Dec 21, 2018

I hope so. A 500 pound screw sounds astronomical bit as I said, they are paying so I won't question it.

Thanks for all the input guys and girls and have a great Xmas. Xx

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 21, 2018

That's why I asked for a photo - the first thing I would look for is either a loose screw, or the stem bolt for hammer having fallen out. I would hope that a "reputable jeweler" would have known to remove the bracelet from the watch before they did any refinishing though. But I don't typically recommend people take watches to jewelers...watchmakers handle watches and jewelers handle jewels...

Doc Savage and michael e like this.
  18. Doc Savage Dec 21, 2018

Glad to hear it's working out for you. Best of luck with your Speedy in the future.