Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 1861 running very fast...so I self-regulated it

1. Owlsu Nov 4, 2018

For the last 2 and a half years since it bought it, it's always been +17 since day 1. This never bothered me until recently when having it gain multiple minutes in a week started to get on my nerves. I contacted every local jeweler/watchmaker I could find and even my AD but the story was always the same - they either wouldn't touch it (probably because it's a cheap job but has the potential to cost them loads if it messes up) or they straight away just said send it to Omega and do a full service.

So considering I do everything else myself like remove the caseback, swap bracelets monthly and so on I decided to just do it myself. I spent a grand total of about 20 minutes learning what I actually needed to do and what not to touch then went at it.

First attempt and a full day later it's now gone from +16 or +17 to -1 or -1.5

Is this a good attempt and should I leave it as is (maybe find a resting position overnight that makes it gain a few seconds) or try and adjust it again to make it +2 or so?

I feel like I can do it again but am also worried I just got incredibly lucky with first time beginners luck.

I did not want to pay £500+ for an Omega service when I was convinced it was a basic regulation issue that could be solved in a day maximum given it's only 2 years old.

2. tritto Nov 4, 2018

Well done. Basic regulation of a movement in good condition isn't difficult is it. I regulated my Speedmaster when it came to me (with the help of a timegrapher) and it was much easier than some of the dodgy old Seikos I've regulated.
    Personally, I'd leave it as is. You're unlikely to get a better real world result than that.

Owlsu and superfly like this.
  3. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Nov 4, 2018

Maybe the watch is magnetized?

Also, you can download a free software that uses your computer's microphone to determine the watch's rate. It is much faster than waiting a day between measurements! ;)

4. fskywalker Nov 5, 2018

Great work! I would leave it like that if were you if you don't own a timegraph

Foo2rama and superfly like this.
  5. tzachi Nov 6, 2018

Great job. At the rate you got, I’d leave it as is for now

Foo2rama and superfly like this.
  6. Hands90 Nov 6, 2018

I'll send you mine. I'd like to be at -1.
    Thanks.

Owlsu likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 7, 2018

Was expecting....
    0E381D18-E677-460A-9507-9EFB7C06B794.gif

But got
    AECD3430-F2E5-4D5A-B4AC-DFC0FFCBB148.gif

8. Owlsu Nov 7, 2018

Haha thanks, I was pretty sure it was a regulation issue rather than something wrong with the watch since it was holding consistent time in every position even when worn 24/7 - I think that's called good isosynchronism or something meaning just a regulation is in order. It's been about 3 days now and nothing has changed so I assume it all worked out ok.

The 321's look much easier to adjust - just a really basic nudge of the needle with a matchstick or something and they're actually marked A/R.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Nov 7, 2018

I think most watchmakers adjust the timing on the 1861 without touching the regulating screw. ;)

ChrisN and Archer like this.
  10. djmusicman Feb 10, 2020

11. Wryfox Feb 10, 2020

If you haven't already, get a Timegrapher...$140 on eBay. Tells you what you need to know to regulate. I regulate all of mine...especially new acquisitions....very easy.

I also automatically demag all new acquisitions. Demag device $10 on amazon.

12. 1st speedy Feb 10, 2020

That's awesome. Thanks.