Speedmaster 145022 - any red flags?

Hi everyone, I'm thinking of bidding for this birthyear Speedie from 1986. I know that it comes without the bracelet, so taking that into account for my valuation. Also, it will come with the original caseback, next to the 'see through' caseback.

Do you see any red flags? For me the only worry is the lume starting to get cracked at the hour hand (and a small mark at the bezel, but I can live with that).

Many thanks for your advice.

It's hard for me to tell from the photos, but if the lume in the hands is white or greenish, the hands could potentially be service parts. A UV photo would be helpful there. The lume in hands and crown doesn't always age identically, but it's not typical (or attractive) to have nice yellow lume on the dial and white or green lume in the hands. If better photos show that the lume in the hands is actually yellowish, that would be ideal.
Edited:

I don't see any red flags. The lume has a nice creamy patina. Is the 1171 bracelet in the photo not included? Should be the correct one.

Thanks. I've asked for better pictures, it's indeed difficult to judge. Apparently the lume is untouched.

Thanks. I've asked for better pictures, it's indeed difficult to judge. Apparently the lume is untouched.

Yes, you will want better photos to judge if you find it appealing.

Yes, you will want better photos to judge if you find it appealing.

no indeed I'm not a big fan of the green yellow combination ;-)

Depends on the manufacturer of that aftermarket case back, I've read people complaining about some of them not being watertight. I would probably put the original back on and make sure it's got a good gasket... I would hate to ruin a watch by washing my hands or showering...
Gorgeous watch. Tritium speedmasters are my very favorite... The lume looks pretty good to me!

I would hate to ruin a watch by washing my hands or showering...

I’ve never ruined a Speedy by showering…

But then, I do always take it off beforehand.

I’ve never ruined a Speedy by showering…

But then, I do always take it off beforehand.
Me either. I've showered with mine but rarely. I always remove my speedys. Seamaster, I trust to swim, dive etc.
That one has an aftermarket case back. I've read that some have been known not to seal properly and to leak I wouldn't trust it... I'm sure that there is more than one company making them but I wouldn't personally use one. I'd source an OG one if I wanted to have a clear rear crystal.

It's a nice watch, hands look fine to me. I have owned multiple 80's / 90's Speedmasters with hands like this. I would personally have no issues in pulling the trigger. Lume on dial has aged to nice creamy patina and is period correct, the bezel is also period correct mostly blemish-free DNN (this is a HUGE plus). Lastly, the case looks amazingly sharp.

I'd tune into the signal vs. the noise on this thread....it's a nice watch!

Keep us posted.

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up bidding 4200, but got outbid 4260. In hindsight would have loved to pay that for it. First time eBay, we all learn from it 😀

Anyone that has an 86 speedie up for grabs, you know where to find me!

I have an '85 that has greener (original) hands than the dial, which is more apparent in indoor lighting, as shown in this first image provided by the person I bought it from. It also has two cracks in the lume of the hour hand.

fdMTum.jpg

This next image is mine and shows how minimal the color difference is in natural light. No color correction or added saturation. Just California sun. (the above image the hands look mint green and I was concerned about that but once the watch was in hand, it was a lot softer of a slight green color).

IMG_4587.JPG

If you super closely examine the hands, you'll still see a slight green tint but it kinda disappears under natural light.

Need to see inner caseback, and if the bracelet is included I need to see the buckle.

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up bidding 4200, but got outbid 4260. In hindsight would have loved to pay that for it. First time eBay, we all learn from it 😀

Anyone that has an 86 speedie up for grabs, you know where to find me!

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about this. You have no idea what the winning bidders max amount was. For the sake of argument, their max bid might have been 4500, but ebay automatically increases their bid only by the minimum increment.

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about this. You have no idea what the winning bidders max amount was. For the sake of argument, their max bid might have been 4500, but ebay automatically increases their bid only by the minimum increment.

Yes you are right.. In some other auction websites like Catawiki, the time gets extended by a minute whenever the bid gets higher, I didn't take that into account here, so it was a good learning anyway