Forums Latest Members
  1. jankymutt Apr 29, 2019

I've on the hunt for a Speedmaster 145.022 "birth year" watch in good condition and was prepared to be looking for a long time when I stumbled upon this listing. It is a 1980, but that's pretty darn close.

I was prepared to spend $4-5k, so $7k its stretching it a bit, but with all the original box/papers it almost seems too good to pass up.

Am I just getting ahead of myself or is this a reasonable price for something with all the box/papers/receipt!?

2. boogedyboo Apr 29, 2019

You would really have to check the serial number to be sure of the year of production.

Just because it was purchased in 1980 does not mean it was made in 1980.

3. jankymutt Apr 29, 2019

that's a very good point.

The serial number the seller listed doesn't make sense. It looks like it starts with "s" although it's handwritten. It just doesn't correspond to the serial number system I am accustomed to with the speedmasters. I'll email the seller.

4. BatDad Apr 29, 2019

Ilovemyspeedmaster.com will give an indication on potential manufacturer date. Not perfect and shouldn’t be counted on - but a good start.

You should also ask yourself are you looking for a watch purchased in a given date range - or manufactured in a given date range. You may find that a watch purchased in 19xx was produced several years earlier.

Also, I believe the st-78s were the last watches to have a year range stamped in the inside of the caseback.

Are you looking for a wearer or a collector watch with all box and papers?

I’d wager a watch is out there close to your budget and time range.

Unfortunately it all comes down to what you place as a priority.(assuming condition is already up there)

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 29, 2019

That’s a steep price even with box and papers. I’d expect almost pristine at that price.

Watch is correct for 145.022-78 to mid 80’s production.
    Bracelet is worn and stretched.

Dan S, BatDad and TLIGuy like this.
  6. jankymutt Apr 29, 2019

Thanks for the advice! I’ve been looking for more of a watch from that era that I could wear on a pretty frequent basis. Seems like this is more of a collectors piece with the box and all the papers.

BatDad likes this.
  7. jankymutt Apr 29, 2019

Thanks for your advice. I’m gonna keep doing more reading and research.

8. valkyrie_rider Apr 29, 2019