Forums Latest Members
  1. DanT Sep 21, 2019

In a recent thread, someone mentioned newbies posting questions and asking for advice on possible purchases, then disappearing into the ether once they'd mined the expertise of forum members. So this update is an acknowledgement and thanks for the help and insight I gained from my original post.

In May this year, I bought a '76 ref Speedmaster at auction - online, at work. Sight unseen, breaking all basic rules of buying at auction - if your going to spend £000's at least go and see it and handle it, dammit. Slightly terrifying - but, thankfully, I was forearmed.

The previous week, I had uploaded the auction photos to OF - and received lots of helpful (and positive comments) from members. I was worried about the rust colour around the crown, and I also uploaded a pic of the movement.

-76 dial.jpg speedy 2.png

After receiving feedback from members - all positive ('That's just crud, not rust' etc) I felt emboldened to hit the button. The only problem (as one forum member quipped) was the increased number of bidders I would now face as a result of my post....

Reader, I won that watch, against an angry man who swore out loud when my last second bid was accepted by the man with the gavel. (He apologised later - dealing with historic anger issues, apparently.)

Last week, I visited Simon Freese Watchmakers to pick up the watch after a few weeks at his workshop. Despite the fact he's busy, but he was good enough to take this on over the summer - in part because I mentioned I had read lots of positive comments about his work on this forum. So here it is, fully serviced, crystal polished and end links tightened. The wrist shot shows the dial colour off best:

speedy 1.JPG

wrist.JPG speedy a.JPG

In Simon's expert opinion, its all correct mechanically- there wasn't too much wear to the movement, so its had a relatively easy life (the last service mark inside the case was 1987, but guessing may not have been used too much since). I didn't mind the scratches to the crystal, but its amazing how a polish can lift these watches, and the dial now appears immaculate. Original bracelet and nicely worn bezel, case not over polished with a few characterful nicks. So, apparently, all authentic.

A sidenote to finish on - when I collected the watch from the auction house, the auctioneer told me this watch was being sold on behalf of a charity. Someone had gifted the watch to them - and when the charity were told by the auction house it was quite a valuable watch, they went back to the guy and asked him if he was still ok with them selling it. He gave them permission to continue with the sale. So at least my money went to a good cause, and I'm now the appreciative custodian...

So a kind of 'barn find' - but without the help of you guys, I wouldn't have taken the punt. So thanks again. I'm grateful for your help and generous insight - Foo2rama, X350 XJR and all who replied, and Spacefruit for all his insights at Speedmaster 101 - I'm really grateful to you guys for sharing your knowledge.

2. Toishome Sep 21, 2019

The watch looks great. Congrats :thumbsup:

DaveK and DanT like this.
  3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 21, 2019

This is the kind of story and thoughtful member that makes this forum a special place.

[​IMG]

mydeafcat, Nathan1967, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  4. nzshadow Stowaway Sep 21, 2019

Congratulations, what a beautiful watch & a great journey to boot. I also bought my first Speedy this year: A 145.022 71 that was in a similar condition to yours. I had it serviced (By Lewis Watch Co) & am over the moon with how it turned out.

I do not however have the original bracelet like yours.

DanT and wagudc like this.
  5. wagudc Sep 21, 2019

Love the watch, love the story, love the gratitude for the generous experts here (not me I may be generous, but not an expert).

DanT and DaveK like this.
  6. rob#1 Sep 21, 2019

She’s a beauty, well done :thumbsup:

DanT likes this.
  7. Screwbacks Sep 21, 2019

the rust will mostly if not always tell a clue that the watch is original. congrats.

alexkovac88 and DanT like this.
  8. CoDiffe Sep 21, 2019

Looks awesome! Congrats on the find and thank you for sharing.

DanT likes this.
  9. JwRosenthal Sep 21, 2019

Glad you are pleased with your first Onega- she’s a beut! Now be prepared for the lust for others that will follow - don’t worry, we got your back.

Raymondo5508, DanT and DaveK like this.
  10. Taybharr Sep 21, 2019

Great watch, congratulations! I also solicited two forum members, @JwRosenthal and @Foo2rama, when making my first Speedy purchase. Those two guys were super helpful and informative. Lots of good folks lurking around the forum.

Severin, Sidnos, DanT and 2 others like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 21, 2019

And @DanT

D0C52E1D-C563-4113-97A7-EC850400DB86.gif
    Edited Sep 21, 2019
    Raymondo5508, DanT and DaveK like this.
  12. Qwertyqaz Sep 21, 2019

What did you pay for it?

13. larryganz The cable guy Sep 22, 2019

That's like asking a woman, "how old are you?".

14. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 22, 2019

True, but you have to know what your dealing with (getting yourself in too). My first wife was older than me, so I am experienced in this question.

15. larryganz The cable guy Sep 22, 2019

My wife also married a younger man.

No, she's only been married once.

kingsrider likes this.
  16. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 22, 2019

So you have never experienced the thrill of divorce? The agony of the account? The division of community property?.
    You don't know what you are missing.

Lonestar and Qwertyqaz like this.
  17. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Sep 22, 2019

Congrats, wear it in good health!

DanT likes this.
  18. larryganz The cable guy Sep 22, 2019

I said that my wife married a younger man, and to clarify that man was me, I said that she has only been married once.

But I was married for 24 months about 30 years ago, and I spent 22 of those 24 in marriage counseling by myself. So, oh boy do I know what it’s like.

kingsrider likes this.
  19. Socks Sep 22, 2019

Nice story and the generous acknowledgement of the help that this forum provides. I'm only sorry that my knowledge is not complete enough to contribute fully...one day...

Lonestar and DanT like this.
  20. Swissgmt1675 Sep 22, 2019

Congrats on this one...the nice DNN bezel faded with some nice blue hue which ad a lot of charm to the watch...Enjoy !!!

DanT likes this.