Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 145.022-69 catch, but not out of the woods

1. gdupree Sep 26, 2018

Last Friday I rolled the dice on a 145.022-69 on Ebay. The listing had poor photos, a seller with a couple blemishes, and little else, but I tossed an offer out there and the seller accepted. I paid immediately, and sent the seller a prompt message hoping to keep the transaction quick and away from any sharks. But alas, no response from the seller now for five days. After several Ebay messages, I sent an email to address listed on the paypal transaction - still nothing.

A reverse image search yielded no alarming duplicates of the photo, just the Ebay listings from the seller, and one thread here on OF, posted (I believe) on the same day that the sellers initial Ebay listing went up. But, just my luck, the thread was deleted... Was the thread a not-so-inadvertent sales thread by the seller? That seems to be the most common reason for thread deletion around here. Does anyone remember this watch/thread?

618206-ba7968e0957d82e3189e73076430391e.jpg
    MY 145.022-69 2.jpg
    MY 145.022-69 3.jpg

Etp095 likes this.
  2. Dan S Sep 26, 2018

What kind of feedback history does the seller have? Five days is a long time for radio silence.

3. Don Bocadillo Sep 26, 2018

Escalate, immediately.

4. joso Sep 26, 2018

i have seen this one discussed here, will post if i can find it. it was recently

5. gdupree Sep 26, 2018

Mostly positive as a seller. I believe 56 seller feedbacks since 2014 mostly selling household junk, of which there is 1 neutral and 2 negative. Most of which seem to be minor disgruntled customers upset with shipped methods (used media mail, stuff like that), but one alarming negative over a year ago where the buyer says that they didn't receive the item.

I will before long. Ironically the last speedmaster I got on ebay progressed similarly. No response from the seller for about a week, and then suddenly a response with an apology that they didn't check their ebay messages, and sent it. Inexcusable, obviously, but ultimately I just want to get it. But by the end of the week if it's still silent, enough will be enough.

He listed the watch twice prior to my purchase which didn't sell, starting at a BIN price of $7000 and working his way down, until ultimately I saw it relisted and sent an offer. He accepted that offer in a couple hours. Given that he accepted my offer, I don't see why he would suddenly be unhappy with the sale price, unless a shark got in. I am confident that the photos are actually from the seller. The photography style and hand matches photos from his other listings. He sold a copy of MWO recently, and appears to be a speedmaster fan. Makes me wonder if the seller has been around here...

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2018

Looks like it was sold on ebay on the 21st and was then listed again with 2 views in the last 24 hours , Now listed as out of stock.
    exas.jpg

7. unfloopy Sep 26, 2018

89-0, sdre, gdupree and 1 other person like this.
  8. dan7800 Sep 26, 2018

Someone on Ebay trying to scam people? Now I've seen everything.

This sucks, at least you should be able to get your money back and move on.

How does the seller believe they will get away with this? Do they think that the buyer will merely pay and forget about it?

9. joso Sep 26, 2018

10. gdupree Sep 26, 2018

The 21st was when it was sold to me. It doesn't show that the seller has any items currently for sale, but did notice that the listing I bought does not show up on the his "Sold items". I was assuming the listing type was set as having a quantity, and now it just says that it's out of stock because the "1" quantity has been sold? Up until now I thought this might be an accidentally error in the listing settings, but the reddit listing posted 1 day ago says very differently. With different pictures as not to show up in a reverse image search too! Thanks guys.

Oddly, it appears he does have the watch in his possession. Why not just send it to the person who bought it, and get your money?

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 26, 2018

The sold "21st" listing page says that it was relisted again after that sale.

12. pmontoyap Sep 26, 2018

Open the case, that will obligate the seller to come forward with either a tracking number or a cancel transaction request . Make sure to leave negative feedback either way

Etp095 and gdupree like this.
  13. gdupree Sep 26, 2018

Thanks everyone. You guys are great. I will file a claim and get my money back on this.

For everyone's reference, name & shame time.

Ebay User: "reverymusic"
    Also goes by "zesbez" on reddit, and similar by email.

Edited Oct 5, 2018
    joso, pmontoyap, Etp095 and 4 others like this.
  14. bgrisso Sep 26, 2018

Seller thinks they can get more money, that's my guess. Shopping around for better offers while they have you on the hook as fallback.

15. boogedyboo Sep 26, 2018

I saw this watch myself on eBay, price was good considering the DON and the bracelet for a 69. He has actually given a much better description of the watch on Reddit. He could have gotten a better price on eBay with the Reddit description as it shows the mark of a collector.

Hope it works out for you, someone has already flagged on the Reddit thread that the watch is sold through another channel.

16. EdtheAussie Sep 27, 2018

I also saw this watch for sale, and the seller even sent me some extra photos when I asked, but before I could offer I'm guessing he "accepted' yours.

Hopefully it works out one way or another for you!

17. Walviskroket Sep 27, 2018

Damn $4500 would have been a steal...

18. septentrio Sep 27, 2018

I'm afraid the sale will get cancelled, happens far to often these days.

19. gdupree Sep 27, 2018

Looks like he deleted his reddit account. No doubt he will start another or try to sell the watch in another way, so keep your eyes out for it. Unfortunate circumstances for everyone.

After his reddit listing was exposed, I got one response from him saying that he 'accepted my offer by accident', and that he would be cancelling the sale. He has yet to do anything of the sort, nor has he responded to my follow up emails inquiring why he ignored my communication for 5 days, while seeming happy to keep my money. It appears I have to wait until Oct 3rd before I can open a claim.

20. thevespabandit Sep 28, 2018

What a jerk, sorry to hear that mate.

If you've used PayPal, I find they are excellent in matters relating to buyers not sending goods. They've come through for me a number of times and believe it's the safest way to protect yourself from jerks out there who think they can out smart the system.

Best of luck looking for another watch!

nonuffinkbloke likes this.