Forums Latest Members
  1. tylerhann Jul 25, 2017

This watch has been sitting in the bilge of a boat for about 20 years. It was ripped from my wrist while on deck in a really bad storm and presumed lost. Itr was only recently found while the boat was undergoing a major refit and returned to me!

As you can see it suffered pretty badly but amazingly a qualified watchmaker is in the process of restoring it and advices the mechanism is intact. The only problem will be the dial. He tells me I can replace it with a service dial which I really do not want to do since it looks different than the original (no raised logo, is not stepped, and the "T" markings are gone around the "Swiss Made"

MY QUESTIONS:
    1) Is it possible that a skilled horologist might be able to somehow restore the dial markings that have corroded away? I know the lume can be repaired in a convincing way but what about those fine dial markings, and what about the lettering "T" Swiss Made "T"?

2) Any suggestions where I might find a replacement used "original" dial, and what that might cost?

3) What would the value of the watch be under the following conditions (assuming the watch is restored to "original" condition (i.e.: no aftermarket parts):

A) With a Service Dial
    B) With an original replacement dial in good shape
    C) With the present dial cleaned up but still with the corroded markings

I ask, not because I am planning to sell the watch, but just don't want to invest more than the watch is worth in the restoration process.

Any constructive advice would be hugely appreciated!

IMG_0377.JPG IMG_0396 copy.JPG IMG_0394 copy.JPG

Edited Jul 25, 2017
    gminnj and gemini4 like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 25, 2017

How do you know it's a 145.022-68?

3. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 25, 2017

Looks good considering. What specifically is your question?.

4. BenBagbag Jul 25, 2017

I don't know. It doesn't look like it is in terrible shape. Polishing/replacing the crystal may go a long way to make you feel differently about it. It tells a story. A replacement dial doesn't. :)

Larry S and Foo2rama like this.
  5. tylerhann Jul 25, 2017

MY QUESTIONS:
    1) Is it possible that a skilled horologist might be able to somehow restore the dial markings that have corroded away? I know the lume can be repaired in a convincing way but what about those fine dial markings, and what about the lettering "T" Swiss Made "T"?

2) Any suggestions where I might find a replacement used "original" dial, and what that might cost?

3) What would the value of the watch be under the following conditions (assuming the watch is restored to "original" condition (i.e.: no aftermarket parts):

A) With a Service Dial
    B) With an original replacement dial in good shape
    C) With the present dial cleaned up but still with the corroded markings

6. tylerhann Jul 25, 2017

The watch maker opened the back and it is stamped inside the back, and also the serial number is 27xxxxxxxxxx, which is correct for this model

7. tylerhann Jul 25, 2017

Oh, I agree, but I would really like it to look just like it did before the accident. It's a very sentimental thing since it was given to me by my parents. If the wear and tear was from use, that would be fine but this is from being stuck inside a yacht for over 20 years

8. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Jul 25, 2017

I would replace or Polywatch the crystal, service the movement, and call it good. If you happen to find an original dial then great but otherwise don't do anything beyond that.

Baz9614, gminnj, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  9. repoman Jul 25, 2017

Congrats on getting the watch back, sounds like a minor miracle it was returned to you. It's hard to see the full condition of the dial in the pic you posted, ask your watchmaker to get a picture of it once the movement is removed from the case. I tend to agree with @BenBagbag I'd polish up the crystal and see how I feel about the overall aesthetic. That dial and its condition is part of the history of the watch now, I'd keep it intact unless its absolutely horrible. You can always keep your eye open for a period correct replacement dial, but its going to cost a lot. The watch has had work done to it in the past (replacement bezel), but I really think a service dial would be an abomination.

kingsrider likes this.
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 25, 2017

Honestly leave the dial as is but stabilize it.

11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 25, 2017

New crystal and a service. Take your time and see if a proper dial shows up.

Larry S likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 25, 2017

Adding my vote to stabilize the dial and service. You can seek a proper dial at your leisure. It's a miracle it looks this good. Fresh water?

13. lievain Jul 25, 2017

What exactly do you mean by stabilising a dial? Coat of varnish or something else?

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 25, 2017

A watch restoration can make sure no more lume flakes off with no visual tells.

15. wkimmd Jul 25, 2017

I second (or third or fourth or fifth or whatever). Look for an original dial, but don't rush. New crystal, stabilize dial, and wear it proudly. You say that because it was just sitting on a yacht for 20 years there is not as much of a story, but I think that in itself is part of the story. I think it is fantastic.

16. marturx Jul 25, 2017

What a fantastic story!

Clean the watch up, have the crystal polishe and the movement seviced and enjoy the return of this prodigal gem!

The dial looks nice, and I wouldn't mind the loss of print in the edge of the dial. It absolutely looks good enough for you to wear, and it is the original dial, which cannot be replaced, if you want to maintain the sentimental value of the watch.

Davidt and Foo2rama like this.
  17. ATWG Jul 25, 2017

I agree with the consensus, there is something to be said for the story and preserving it's originality.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 25, 2017

Thin coat of carefully applied matte finish varnish is what a search here produced.

19. Wryfox Jul 25, 2017

You've got some pretty deep gouges on that crystal. I think you're going to be more happy replacing it. That and a service I think you're good. Those alone are going to be $600+.

20. Nathan1967 Jul 25, 2017

You are so lucky, 20 years in salt water appears to have inflicted zero damage on your watch, that's miraculous!

Foo2rama likes this.