Forums Latest Members
  1. tony72cutlass's' Oct 16, 2015

Hi All,

As some of you have read in my first post, i very recently inherited the watch my father wore throughout the 70's and 80's through iran, iraq, pakistan and other countries with the millitary and was lucky enough for Al (archer) to fit me into his busy schedule for a full service.
    Before shot: (crystal cracked when my dad flew off a motorcycle somewhere in the middle east)

photo.JPG
    photo 2 (1).JPG
    Preview from Al:

Omega Speedmaster Pro 96_0140.jpg

I'm wondering, with the replacement of pushers, crown, gaskets and crystal, how "water resistance" are these watches in actual fact? I'm sure this question has been beat to death... But would you take it swimming? In the shower? Washing your hands? Fighting zombies on the moon?

My dad says he bought the Mkii because Omega told him it was more water resistant AND had a better crystal than the moonwatch.

Thanks!

-Tony

Edited Oct 16, 2015
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 16, 2015

If it passed pressure tests, you could probably shower with it, but then, why take the risk with such a great piece? In any event, I wouldn't swim with it.

The problem is that waterproof watches are waterproof until they're not.

3. tony72cutlass's' Oct 16, 2015

That's what I'm worried about.. I'd like to wear it often to enjoy it, but not be worried about ruining anything..

4. Canuck Oct 16, 2015

There's only one way to find out! Wear it and see what happens! You'll have the pleasure of wearing it until you do serious damage, or destroy it! I don't recommend it, by the way. I don't wear any of my watches in water. Rolex, Omega, none of them. As oddboy says, "they're waterproof (water resistant) until they're not!"

5. grizzlycanuck Oct 16, 2015

If you really want to wear one in the water, get a really cheap "waterproof" beater.....just not worth the risk to me. Of course to each their own!

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 17, 2015

No need for cheap get a Certina dive watch and wear it like it should be. As long as you pressure test every 2 years.
    DS3
    image.jpeg

7. tony72cutlass's' Oct 20, 2015

Sounds like we all have consensus that my 145.014 should be worn nowhere near water! that's fair enough.

I'm thinking about eventually picking up one of those modern quartz seamasters if i ever plan on getting wet. I'd have a heart attack if i ever saw fog in my speedmaster.

8. Cortezthekiller Oct 20, 2015

I bought a new dive watch for swimming. The warranty will cover you and replacement parts are not an issue

Jacquot likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2015

Pressure test means it was water resistant when the pressure test was carried out, it makes no guarantees for the future. A Speedmaster Mark II is an old watch, and a watch that never originally was intended for diving, so while it probably CAN get wet, in the same way my two inches of ground clearance BMW could drive off road if it absolutely had to, it really doesn't want to be there and its not intended for it.

Its also a watch with a tritium dial/handset that can't be replaced so if you wreck them you'll either have to live with it or you'll have to use luminova which looks completely different.

10. Jacquot Oct 20, 2015

Don't do it, and I'm sure that is what Al would tell you. If you need it, find a newer and much less valuable watch for that purpose. I used to swim with a TAG, but I really didn't need to swim with a watch, I could see the wall clock OK. I'd never take a valuable vintage watch into water, whatever the original design and state of servicing. Then there is the personal value. You want to preserve that, trust me. Take care of it. With sleeves in light rain when you did not really expect it, that's as far as I'd go. Not wet, especially anything with water pressure, find something else for that. Nice watch!

11. tony72cutlass's' Oct 20, 2015

Thanks guys for the reassurance, I find the omega 'certified to such and such meteres deep' just a bit deceiving.

I'm really excited to take good care of the watch, what with the family history it has I just want to make sure I'm taking the right precautions.

12. tony72cutlass's' Oct 20, 2015

And I should have it tomorrow afternoon so I'll post pics then!

Also what's a luminova? Does omega not offer replacement parts for the vintage mark ii if it were ever damaged??

Edited Oct 20, 2015
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2015

Your dial is tritium, so its a radioisotope decaying that excites phosphorus and creates light, though it doesn't anymore as the tritium has already decayed too much as the half life is only 13 years or something.

Tritium is now not used for safety reasons (don't worry you're in no danger, its mainly watchmakers that don't want to be inhaling the stuff every day of their lives and understandably so) so luminova which is non-radioactive and is charged by exposure to UV light is used instead, so it glows brightly and looks very different. That's the new replacement part, its excellent and effective but it isn't the same (as it can't be anymore).

14. Canuck Oct 20, 2015

Thanks guys for the reassurance, I find the omega 'certified to such and such meteres deep' just a bit deceiving.

Not deceiving at all! Read dsio's post again where he says "water resistant when the pressure test was carried out, it makes no guarantees about the future!" These tests are static tests. The same watch in the same tank being thrashed around may no longer be water resistant! Water resistant until something deteriorates, like the crown, case tube, pusher seals, crystal, case back gasket, etc. You have received a lot of good advice in this thread. I find it very difficult to understand why you are having difficulty grasping what you are told. Go ahead! Ignore the advice and wear it in water. It may take a day, a week, a month, a year, or several years before it leaks. Then come back and tell us we were right!

15. tony72cutlass's' Oct 21, 2015

I get what you're saying, but from an engineering background, when i certify and stamp that my product is rated to XX Psi, i'm certifying that i have tested it under all conditions and it meets that standard. When you pressurize a pipe rated for 150 per ASME B-31.3 we certify that it can withstand at LEAST 6X the rated pressure.

It's a pet peeve for me, but the omega booklet should say "We tested it with controlled conditions, didnt move it around, didnt touch it... And it passed!! oh and by the way, don't ever go near water with it"

16. tony72cutlass's' Oct 21, 2015

Very interesting, it seems my dial and hands cleaned up quite nicely so i'll look forword to many more years of service from my good ol' tritrium.

17. tony72cutlass's' Oct 21, 2015

Back from the spa!!

IMG_3723.jpg IMG_3722.jpg
    Ascalon and Jacquot like this.
  18. Canuck Oct 21, 2015

The term water PROOF which was used on watches up until 50 or 60 years ago was legislated out of existence because it implied an absolute. It implied that under NO circumstances would water bother it! That seems to be what you want. It doesn't exist! The term water resistant replaced it. This implies that it is water resistant as long as it remains water resistant! I would suggest you stop agonizing over semantics, and wear it in water! You will get away with it until it is no longer water resistant. Could be tomorrow, next week, next month, next year, or whenever. And when it leaks, it will be from lack of maintenance, and no fault of Omegas! Wear it as you wish. Seems you think the advice you are getting here is wrong!

19. Tmorehouse51 Apr 7, 2019

If it is built right, i.e. new pushers, crown, case tube, crystal, and gaskets, the use of special loctite on the pusher tubes and case tubes, and there is no corrosion where the crystal sits or the caseback gasket sits, and it passes the pressure test, there is no reason it cant be worn in the water. I've worn my totally restored mkii for the past two years in hot tubs, shower, pools, the ocean, lakes with absolutely no worry, I even have an exhibition case back which has one more place to leak. Like I said, if it's built right, it won't leak.

CSS-0489.jpg
    helimech101 and Ascalon like this.