Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 145.014: Thick facets or skinny facets?

1. Superburger Sep 30, 2014

Hi gents,

I recently purchased a Speedmaster 145.014. The description indicated that it had "never been polished", and the seller had a great eBay rating. Nice watch for sure, but I could instantly see that it had indeed been polished. At first I couldn't figure out if it had undergone a significant case refinish, or just a mild surface polish. The lip around the crystal is almost non-existent, and the edges and brushed surfaces look more than just worn. They're a little "soft" and you can even see where the brushing slightly over shoots an edge here and there. That said, they're perfectly symmetrical and if it was refinished, it's a pretty great job.

The thing that really got me was how the highly polished facets on the sides are a lot skinnier than almost all of the examples I could find online. Big warning sign. After lots of searching, I finally found a 1969/1970 ad with almost exactly the same facets. Is the watch I purchased older and slightly different than later editions? Why is it that I usually pretty fat facets? Anybody have examples of skinny facets? Check out the ad and corresponding pic of my watch below -- looking forward to hearing from the experts! Thanks!

speedmaster mark ii comparison.001.jpg

2. pascs Oct 1, 2014

Looks and sounds like its been refinished but better pictures would help

3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 1, 2014

Or...

4. Superburger Oct 2, 2014

thanks for comments, I'll post pics soon. In the meantime, keeping with the Smiths theme, this is what I think every time I buy on ebay...

5. Superburger Oct 3, 2014

OK, so here are a few pics I just snapped. I'm 100% positive that the watch has been polished, it's just a question of how much of the original case profile has been left intact. The symmetry is perfect, and while I want the watch to embody the original design, I'm hoping that Omega once used the skinny facets because I sort of like them better. Also note the Hecho en Mexico bracelet clasp. I know other threads covered the Mexico topic, so I'm not worried about authenticity there. And keep the Smiths tracks coming too...

View attachment IMG_6556.jpg View attachment IMG_6553.jpg View attachment IMG_6554.jpg View attachment IMG_6555.jpg View attachment IMG_6550.jpg View attachment IMG_6551.jpg View attachment IMG_6552.jpg View attachment IMG_6548.jpg View attachment IMG_6549.jpg IMG_6544.jpg

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 4, 2014

The only thin polished facets I've seen on these or any other Omega cushion style case have been on polished watches. It's one of the reasons why a lot of people seek out the thick facets.

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 4, 2014

Good choice. One of the most covered and possibly the single most covered songs in indie (modern) rock history...