Forums Latest Members
  1. wsfarrell Sep 24, 2015

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 24, 2015

NOS put-together?

At least it's honest..

Tritium likes this.
  3. dragoman Sep 25, 2015

Had never been put into another watch.

Of course, the 1041 being a 125 only movement, it may have been only inside a 125.

As the 125 has a sort of inner case inside that big chunk of steel, it may arguably be said that, if you keep the inner box and movement, and change everything else, the watch is still the same.

So what we have here is a new bracelet and case (which are slightly different from the original ones, and which watchco themselves sell at USD 2500) and a beaten up 125 used as a donor of inner case and movement (and dial and hands, in one of the instances). Then you have the movement serviced and renewed, new parts added as required, and voila.

Not a bad proposition, pricewise, although if you prefer DIY, you could save a bit... and keep the old original monster case and bracelet, in case you need an emergency hammer.

4. Blaise Sep 25, 2015

I never got these watches. Many collectors (including myself) are looking for watches as original as possible. I am sorry to say but there is nothing original about this watch. Yes, it is made with all original Omega parts, but as we often say "I don't think this left the factory like that". Same goes for the Watchco Seamaster 300s. It is not a franken but definitely not a New Old Stock either. My 2Cs

5. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Sep 25, 2015

I'm curious, how do you spot a watchco 125 case vs an original? I've been watching sales of 125s for a few months and it seems like there's a big variance in the condition of these. Without knowing the "tell" I've just operated under the assumption that if it looks NOS it is probably one of the watchco assemblies.

6. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 25, 2015

For the non-collector who wants a good condition daily driver, it's a rare opportunity. You don't have collectors driving up the price. I paid a lot for my WatchCo Seamaster 300 but I'm wearing it every day, and in fact cannot take it off!

So Mr Collector gets what he wants, I get what I want, and both of us are happy!

Tom

7. Blaise Sep 25, 2015

My post was intended to reflect on the fact that they advertise these watches as New Old Stock. I personally would not wear one of those because I would like to have an original example but that does not mean someone like you can't enjoy it either. I am a collector, you are not. All I was saying is that calling them NOS in my book is misrepresentation. That's it.

Tritium, Archer and Spacefruit like this.
  8. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Sep 25, 2015

Ah, yes, true enough. I think it's slightly misleading as well.

Tom

9. TNTwatch Sep 25, 2015

Agree that this is not an NOS watch. It's an old 125 with everything, except the movement, replaced with new service parts - just a typical Watchco watch.

10. wsfarrell Sep 25, 2015

Not defending the watch, but the tritium dial is a new service part?

11. TNTwatch Sep 25, 2015

Yes, new service part, new as in brand new, new old stock or unused. New can be, but doesn't have to be modern day new. Does it matter?

12. adam9000 Sep 26, 2015

They have three listed! I feel like watchco is single handily responsible for omega choosing to stop selling parts.

Mark020 likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 26, 2015

Isn't it the other way around? Watchco is selling off the parts because they're being forced out of the business...

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2015

They have been selling parts and assembled watches for years before Omega announced the halt of parts sales to distributors...

15. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 26, 2015

I was thinking of this, which appears on all of their listings:

End of supply of OMEGA spare parts

Dear customers,

We have been informed that OMEGA SA, a subsidiary of the Swatch Group, that the supply of OMEGA spare parts will be terminated entirely to all parts wholesalers globally and therefore to us as well end of December, 2015. OMEGA spare parts are no longer available for free watchmakers, collectors and enthusiasts beyond this date. Some material is already been limited and much of what we sell is now “No Longer Available”

What does this mean for you?

Should you repair your watches by yourself from that date on you will no longer be able to obtain the necessary spare parts in the free trade like before. The distribution policy of OMEGA will prevent all delivery of spare parts to you and others who have not been certified by OMEGA.

We will now dramatically reduce our stock levels and will liquidate MOST of our stock lines. We have enjoyed doing business with you all over the last 15 years and thank you for your support.

It’s a great shame as we love the Brand and how it has been embraced by the collector community.

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 26, 2015

Yes, I've seen that many times on their auctions. The selling of parts and watches they do is nothing new - it didn't just start once the announcement was made that wholesalers would be cut off - they have been doing it for years.

Cheers, Al

17. Marlowe Sep 26, 2015

Here's my Omega 125 - as found. In the company of some other chronos. Some time ago I intended to send it to Omega to be refurbished but then started noticing how many prisitne examples were out there. I never thought of Whatchco however. I just thought people were sending them in for an overhaul. I realised that soon there will no unrestored examples left except mine - so I just left mine as found.

And that's the end of that..

[​IMG]

Andy K likes this.
  18. adam9000 Sep 26, 2015

Look at the seamaster 300. Omega came out with the reissue. They wouldn't want people doing a google search to come across the watchco put together version and buy that instead. Other people were putting them together but it was mostly people doing it for a watch for themselves. Omega had to notice what watchco was doing. They made too much noise doing it. The easiest way to stop that was to cut the supply of parts.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2015

Might a bit much to blame one company for the new selective spare parts distribution system. As much as I dislike some of the thing Watchco does (claiming NOS on everything when there's nothing old about much of it, etc.) I don't think this is really about them. If it was they could have simply pulled their parts account, as Omega can do that for any reason they like, justified or not.

As I have said before, this is simply Omega closing a loophole in their policies. It makes little sense to implement a system where you qualify watchmakers for spare parts accounts, making them meet education, experience, and equipment requirements and sending them for Omega brand training, and then turn around and sell parts to a wholesaler who will then sell to anyone even if they aren't a watchmaker.

Don't take this as approval of what they are doing, as I clearly don't agree with it as I've said countless times, but this is why they are pulling parts from wholesale suppliers, at least the official line from Omega...

Cheers, Al

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 27, 2015

I would agree that WatchCo's behavior is not an influence on the spare parts policy change by Omega. The middle east distributor who supplied them the parts however.....

OK so that's just rumour and conjecture, but the whole out of control flow of parts is not something a" Brand Name" suit can live with. It gives them indigestion and when I discuss it with them their faces get an amusing Cats Bottom look. (Thats why I bring it up - a small joy in an otherwise unpleasant human interaction). I hope my feelings about the Brand Drones are clear.

As to the "NOS" 125s.

I own an original, and its quite the most unwieldy unattractive watch I own. It is for good reason there are always a choice on the market!

I notice that Watchco tried to sell several case and bracelet sets a few months ago, and I don't think they sold well because they were wanting a hell of a price for them. Now I guess they have built them up - but these watches are clearly built from service parts (note the reference engraving) - if a genuine one is hard to sell above $2500 then what will these parts lots be worth - and to who?

dragoman likes this.