Forums Latest Members
  1. Speedimaster Dec 7, 2019

Hi guys, what do you think about the condition, originality and value of the watch?
    Fresh from Omega Service (movement only)
    Thank you and best regards

Screenshot_20191207-113417_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191207-113404_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191207-113350_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191207-113339_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191207-113326_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191207-113310_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191207-113258_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191207-113234_Chrome.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 7, 2019

It's seen a bit of life alright, shame about the caseback. Pushers and crown look OK which is nice on a 105 but that lume and bezel are a bit too far gone for me. It all comes down to price as ever.

Speedimaster likes this.
  3. Speedimaster Dec 7, 2019

The seller looking for $7,000

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 7, 2019

So SP101 Running money then once some value is attributed to the bracelet. Not too bad if you can get on with the looks I guess. I would love a 105 personally but might be tempted to spend a little more for nicer one. That said, you might have to send a lot more.

Spacefruit and Speedimaster like this.
  5. OMEGuy Dec 7, 2019

The watch looks correct. But considering the condition, I wouldn't pay $7k for it.

befobe, Speedimaster and padders like this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 7, 2019

I’d pony up for a better one. But that’s me. Another alternative is to try pony down a bit, and then give this one a sympathetic relume, which should improve the pleasure factor.

lando, Archer, Spacefruit and 3 others like this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 7, 2019

I thought that too but the caseback and bezel would always grate with that one and neither is a cheap fix.

Speedimaster and OMEGuy like this.
  8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 7, 2019

I'd want movement photos as well. A claim of Omega service is great (and even a receipt), but I would want to see photos for $7k.

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 7, 2019

I chime in.

The dial, the heart of the watch, is poor. It is damaged in the black body colour, with a feathered effect covering 60%(?) of the dial. There is a blister on the minute subdial. There are two marks on the step near the 6 o’clock. This is not a good dial at all, but it is correct.

The markers show some leakage around the plots, which themselves being weak in colour and lacking lume coverage in most. The white print and track are intact.

This dial condition can lead to an attractive look but that will be up to you to decide. For me it’s only attractive if very cheap.

The bezel is poor, but correct. It is damaged and faded. Again, this can lead to a look some like, it’s up to you.

The case has seen attention. It’s hard to tell from the photos, but I think the lines are blurred on the mid case, and as others mentioned the back has lost its original profile and the hippo. This would be impossible to rectify. You might be able to rescue the mid case (To an extent....) but nothing can be done for the back.

The hands are slightly miss matching, with the Chrono hand showing a slightly different colour lume. Indicating it might have been replaced at some point. (Not surprising). However they all look correct and could be a lot worse in a watch with these other issues. The hands are not an issue with the value in this case.

The crown looks 24 and the pushers fat neck, a massive positive for a 105012.

Without seeing the movement, you are taking a chance at this level. While it’s a low chance it’s not an omega movement, it is existential at this level, so I would want to see it, and even buy subject only to an extract - it’s so quick now. (Replacement 105.012 movements are $3,000-4,0000 so if it’s wrong it’s going to put you deep in the red).

For the movement check the screw condition, and cleanliness. Also check the colours of the bridges (that they look similar). If you know what to look for look at the oil in the jewels but if you have a service document it should be ok, assuming it’s actually from Omega, which I doubt.

While you are at it check the inner case back for the reference, service marks and any corrosion at the lip.

Think another way. If you broke this watch up, could you even sell the parts? Well I doubt it - not for much. Each part is poor, with the exception of the pushers and crown - but it’s very hard to successfully change those pushers onto another case.

In summary, this watch is poor, but it might be attractive and enjoyable at the right price. Is $7,000 cheap enough? Well if you buy it, do you think in 6 or 12 months you can get your money back? No I don’t. I think the price is more than the sum of the parts if sold separately.

This quality is the first to fall out of favour when the FOMO crowd leave a market, as they have done, leaving the previously bubbly Speedmaster community. We are back to serious people buying serious watches for serious money, and enthusiasts buying and wearing cheaper examples for fun - rather than money-parking. This watch is for an enthusiast to wear hard, and economically. It needs to be inexpensive.

I just saw a 105012 sell for $22,000. So the market is not falling as some propose, rather it is becoming mature, with fine watches selling for top prices, while poor, damaged or over worked examples are falling right down. What about the 22,000 watch, can the buyer sell it in 6/12 months for near or what he paid for it? I am sure.

Trouble is the sellers of the poor to fair watches may have to learn that (painful) lesson slowly.

joe band, Aludic, padders and 5 others like this.
  10. OMEGuy Dec 7, 2019

Couldn't have said it better in just these, well your three words.

Speedimaster likes this.
  11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Dec 7, 2019

I would absolutely love to see this one...are there still some active webpages with pics somewhere? Or was it all private?

Speedimaster likes this.
  12. dmgreen11 Dec 7, 2019

Not all that much to like about this one IMHO.

Speedimaster likes this.
  13. Speedimaster Dec 7, 2019

Great description, thank you very much