Forums Latest Members
  1. brunik Feb 7, 2017

Hello OF brotherhood

Would like advice to choose one of the two 105.003 that were offered to me

Both are -65

This one supposed to be untouched but the tritium looks that disappeared from the dial, sundial from the chrono hours has a scratch from the hand, all original no relumed and with the correct 1506 with #16 endlinks 12k€

IMG_8605.JPG

The second one looks relumed too yellow to be true, no bracelet, service chrono seconds 10k€

IMG_8606.JPG

Both at side by side

IMG_8607.JPG

It's quite a amount of money, can you please give me your advice?

Thank you I advance to all

Regards

Etp095 likes this.
  2. Igora Feb 7, 2017

I would go with first one! Because it is a bit more but you have untuched watch with corect bracelet. And bazel looks to be in better shape!

Vicke and brunik like this.
  3. LawBrk Feb 7, 2017

Can neither be an answer? It seems from your written tone, that you're not extremely pleased with either. Wait for a better one to come along, at that price you're in the range of finding a nice piece. My $0.02.

4. JohnSteed Feb 7, 2017

Hi

You called it - dial. So up to you what you prefer. IMHO, seems the new dial should be less!!

End links - should be #6 or #506 (size 19mm, correct) not 16 (20mm, perhaps shaved down to fit). By the way, 1506/16 are for twisted Lug Speedys like the 105.012 (not straight Lug 105.003 like what you show).

Movement- you need to see this BEFORE buying the watch as how do you know what's under the hood!!! ?? So get/share those photos here

Best wishes!!

repoman, brunik and LawBrk like this.
  5. MaiLollo Feb 7, 2017

I would go with the first one as well, 2k price is highly justified IMO: bracelet is hard to come by and a the dial can truly be untouched just once (I'm not sure as the lume plots are much less patinated than the hands plus the 12o'clock one is white, maybe the lume fell off ?)

My 105.003 has a much more patinaed dial + hands but that is down to personal preference. If you do not like either then just wait for one that suits you more, especially since you would be paying marlet price for both of them...

brunik likes this.
  6. t_swiss_t Feb 7, 2017

agree with @LawBrk , your tone and those pictures don't scream 'buy me!' I'm not good enough to say if the second one is relumed from the pictures but it does look suspicious. Not so much from the color itself but because it's completely uniform, even on a replaced chrono seconds hand. Not a bad relume job, if that can be said. Especially for those prices, I'd wait.

This one is on sale and not a big price difference from what you put up, I'd rather pony up for it. Lume doesn't "pop" but it's not a poor example. https://vintagecaliber.com/collections/all/products/1965-omega-speedmaster-105-003-ed-white

[​IMG]

TJH, nonuffinkbloke and LawBrk like this.
  7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 7, 2017

Thirteen thousand Euros ($14k) is rather expensive for relumed dial and hands on a 105.003 don't you think, especially with a refinished case.

Davidt and Vicke like this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 7, 2017

Agree with others. Neither at those prices for me.

However, since the 1506/16 is not correct for the reference, I'd buy that (only) if possible.

9. abrod520 Feb 7, 2017

Even a shaved-down 1506 / 16 has value, and looks great on the watch. I'd go for #1 once you can check out the movement and everything's in good shape.

LawBrk likes this.
  10. brunik Feb 7, 2017

Hi @LawBrk exactly, I normally follow my first instinct and this time its something that does not look right... i don´t know if is the price vs the quality of the piece offered.

Thank you for you 2 cts :thumbsup:

LawBrk likes this.
  11. t_swiss_t Feb 7, 2017

Dennis - what do you mean? The one I linked to does seem like a relume to me and isn't stated as so - I haven't heard any ill words about these guys (the dealer I mean) not disclosing relumes and they state it's an original dial while disclosing the refinished case. Seems odd that they would disclose one without the other but caveat emptor -- Cheers

Andrew

12. brunik Feb 7, 2017

Hi @JohnSteed

That was something that did not sound right... and in the MoonWatchBook its indicate 1501 as the correct bracelet... so its not correct the one installed, and in line with your reply thank you!

The movement its correct, i was checking with my watchsmith... Serial 24.0M

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  13. brunik Feb 7, 2017

not possible :( at least at a good and fair price :unsure:

Thank you for your reply

14. Faz Feb 7, 2017

:eek: Insane $$$ for the quality. Both sub par examples IMO...12K for both is more like it...:whistling:

Ask yourself this... AFTER plunking down 10K plus euros, how would you feel after receiving either or watch? I would feel sick to my stomach..

Because the crazy money these watches are commanding there are plenty to pick from..save more $ and choose the best example...

Edited Feb 7, 2017
    Swissgmt1675, oddboy and LawBrk like this.
  15. Psych Feb 7, 2017

What everybody else has said. Neither of those merit what are essentially strong prices.

There'll be another one along in a day or two....

16. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 7, 2017

Maybe you should read the description again without rose tinted glasses on.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 7, 2017

From the description: (my highlights)
    Dial:

• Original untouched step dial with "long" indexes
    • Signed "Omega Speedmaster" at 12 o'clock, raised silver Omega logo. Signed "T Swiss Made T" at 6 o'clock.
    • Original correct hands (no replacement, no service)
    • Dial and hands professionally relumed
    I wonder which it is, Original or Relumed?

18. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Feb 7, 2017

What's your opinion on the watch in general William?
    Worth the asking price?

19. brunik Feb 7, 2017

Hello sir, a pleasure to have you in the post, following always your web... great work!

Can I ask your opinion regarding the two watches?

Regards

20. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 7, 2017

Well I personally do not like what I call "dealer watches" where the watch has been prepared within an inch of its life. I am talking about this one for Euros 13,000:
    121212.jpg

Its not a bad looking watch but I am not sure about that case refinish. It doesn't reach out of the screen and make me want it. I think when a watch looks like this I wonder about its history. I especially don't like the high polish on the top of the lugs. It also looks like the pusher caps have been polished too. Its a watch I like less each time I look at it.

I would love to know what on what basis they call it an Omega Specification Case Refinish. Because they do not say Omega carried out the service, and I don't see how anyone but Omega can do an Omega Spec refinish. (Although to be fair it looks close, its just I don't trust the language).

Is it worth the price?

Not to us, perhaps, but I do think it is what it will fetch. We have a lot of new collectors coming in (1000 page views a day on www.speedmaster101.com are coming from somewhere!), and I get a lot of people asking sensible questions about Speedys with Rolex backgrounds. For every one speedmaster geek there must be 50 rolex geeks. And for every 50 vintage rolex there is one speedy. (Ok I am guessing but that is what it feels like.)

I see correct Ed Whites trading around 12,000 plus or minus 2000 depending on some aesthetics. I am not talking about something exceptional, perhaps a fine dial or a brown dial, where I have seen them trade solidly at $20,000+ and there was one in auction last year for $50,000.

Lets look at the first OP watch: (I cropped it)
    1-ew1.jpg
    Well we can say the dial, hands and bezel look honest and original. Not very nice, but honest. But look at that dial - is it bubbling? That's a big no, at any price - well ok you might think about it at half the asking. Lets look closer:
    1-ew1-001.jpg

Well unless I can be shown otherwise this is a damaged dial, bubbles and a scratch on two of the subdial from the hands.

So this watch is a big no from me.

The second one:
    1-ew3.jpg
    Is it relumed? Well I am sure the hands are not original, wrong specification and colour. Always possible they got that colour naturally but not that shape ! The dial lume however is similar to that I have seen on confirmed original examples. So it is possible its correct. But I cant tell from here. If it is a relume it is an unusually skilled one.

This dial also has some damage on the hour subdial - unless its just the photo. For Euros 10k its better buy that the first, but its more than I think you need to spend for a watch that will need new/old hands. Now because it has those (awful) hands it makes me ask, why were such incorrect hands fitted, who thought it was a good idea, and why? There are times when I see the straight end hand on an early watch and it fits with the rest of the service, but these hands are all wrong.

Now with all high value discretionary purchases, someone has to like it at the end of the day. The watch must talk to me, (Sing to me, I call it). None of the watches listed above do that. I often find that watches in dealers stock are there because they have been left behind, and all have something wrong with them. Good watches sell straight away, often before the seller has time to do the photos and put it up online.

Look at this one - it has an Omega service history, and an extract - but it does not look "over-prepared". Its not perfect, but it does sing to me. The dial is exceptional and without damage and the watch is correct. Note the lume colour, which I believe to be original, based on comparison to known examples. The case is not sharp from a refinish but it looks genuine and attractive.

1-1-P2030006-005.jpg

Aria Wibisana, Tbone, bazamu and 8 others like this.