Forums Latest Members
  1. ConElPueblo Sep 13, 2017

I don't remember seeing anything (auctions results, etc) to substantiate that this is the case. Luckily, Omega prices and collectability haven't yet reached the point where tiny cosmetic differences* will result in much higher prices and collectability. We haven't begun believing our own bullshit yet, as it were ;)

If two otherwise identical watches were presented to me, I'd choose the non-Meister Speedmaster every time.

*DON bezels, anyone?

2. rotationslim Sep 14, 2017

Thanks marco. No, I hadn't seen that one. Seems like a very fair price from an honest seller, but that bezel is a bit to chipped for my taste. Even though my plan is to wear my first Speedmaster as an everyday watch, I'm hoping to find something a bit less worn-looking. My first choice would be the 105.012-65 with a nice DON bezel. It seems that you get more watch for the money. That said, the fact that Chuck Maddox viewed the Ed White as his favorite is persuasive... Hard to decide!

gminnj and marco like this.
  3. rotationslim Sep 14, 2017

P.S. Also very much like the looks of the Speedy Tuesday. Alas, not the 321, but beautiful.

4. Cad290 Sep 14, 2017

Good! I'll take the Meister one. The only auction result I can find is from the Christies speedmaster sale a couple years ago, so I agree that I can't make any historical argument. However I'd make you a bet that 5 years from now a Meister speedy will go for more than an identical one without. Once more Rolex collectors spill over to Omega

gminnj, marco and ConElPueblo like this.
  5. ConElPueblo Sep 14, 2017

I promise to split the loot with you when I uncover two side by side :D

(and I agree with you, in principle, about the way things are heading)

Cad290 likes this.
  6. richardew Sep 14, 2017

I believe that you may be able to replace the wife. There are several billion on the planet. Ed White's on the other hand are quite rare and valuable.

7. marco Sep 14, 2017

Hi rota,
    I can vouch for the seller as have traded with him many times a " real stand up" guy.
    I agree with you about the bezel ,you said you wanted to wear this piece on a regular basis.
    Well I have a very nice 2998.5 with an excellent bezel ( pictured) now here's the rub, a lovely bezel is almost a liability. A good one is worth $4K + and one becomes paranoid about marking it and that is easily done on a daily wearer. You can't hurt this one and can be on the lookout for a very good one in the meantime.
    Only my opinion from my experience of marking my own bezel. Not fun you feel awful.

20170312_100345.jpg
    arcadelt and Ssunnylee24 like this.
  8. arcadelt Sep 14, 2017

Well, you could of course always fit a $150 DNN and wear the watch comfortably in the full knowledge that you have the real thing at home ready to fit when either your comfort level changes or you want to sell the watch. It's not like the average joe on the street is going to point out the missing DON, especially since yours looks so good it is more likely to mistaken for a FOIS. Anyway, even if they did, you hold the trump card of the one at home.

marco and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. rotationslim Sep 14, 2017

More great points. I want to enjoy the watch on a regular basis and not have the stress of dinging up the bezel. Like the $150 DNN idea. What are thoughts on the 105.012 vs. 105.003? Probably threads on this already... And wow! nice 2998.5.

marco and arcadelt like this.
  10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 14, 2017

My personal view is that I do not like the Meister. For a native english speaker like myself the name does not have a pleasant sound to it and I would actually avoid a watch with it on. I understand others may disagree, but I think many of my co-speedmaster hooverers are of the same mind. (Yes we do all talk).

I like the idea of Gubelin, because there is a strong connection to my career. (Edward Gubelin was a prolific publisher of gemmological books) but I would not pay a premium. I have not seen a speedmaster with Gubelin on it myself, just photos.

ACP would not get my wallet out either.

Tiffany is a bit of fun, but here we have a massive issue of provenance (that is the ones I have seen have none) and Tiffany did not keep, or will not share records.

As the the Bezel issue. I am strongly against the practice of placing a later cheaper bezel on an early watch. If the bezel is that nice, then so presumably is the watch, and so placing the wrong bezel on it for daily wear would remove the enjoyment (for me). Better by a whole new watch for wearing around if you are that worried - you can still find an 861 for less than the price of a DO90 bezel.

The second reason I would not remove an original bezel is there is a much greater risk of the bezel never going back on the watch, that is, it being lost, as it is already separated.

marco and ConElPueblo like this.
  11. arcadelt Sep 14, 2017

Not a fan of Game of Thrones @Spacefruit?

(Yes GoT fans, I know it's spelt differently, but it sounds the same.) [emoji51]