Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 105.002 and DON bezel in auction - Nov 3 Glasgow

1. prontoprint Oct 27, 2016

Evening,

Just a heads up for those seeking a DON bezel in decent condition. McTears in Glasgow is selling one next week November 3rd ( Lot 156A ). Was originally on the 105.002 being sold ( Lot 156 ) . The watch seems to have had a few services and replacement parts. Dial is not correct and looks like it's been replaced with one from the 70's or possibly 80's , bezel was replaced in 1969, hence Lot 156A, think it's a modern bracelet as well. Hands look still ok for era even though it says they were also replaced in 1969, but I bet seller wished he hadn't had anything changed now the prices are rising. I'll leave the more knowledgable members dissect the watch in more detail. I'm sure the condition report may reveal more.

Lot 156
    http://mctears.co.uk/auctions/lot.a...45eb-9acd-7cd2e1303f2a&page=2&referrer=browse

Lot 156A
    http://mctears.co.uk/auctions/lot.a...47e9-ae74-41664110f10c&page=2&referrer=browse

Edited Oct 27, 2016
  2. Just Livin Oct 28, 2016

Yeah I saw that one too.
    Its a crying shame about that dial.

It seems he has the original paperwork for the watch, although pics were not shown.
    Shame he kept the paperwork but not the dial, hands or bracelet:(

Am just curious as to what the hammer goes on this at auction.

3. Scepticalist Oct 28, 2016

I expect whatever it is, it'll be too high. Someone will do a 5 minute search on eBay and conclude it's a bargain. The bezel should make decent money.

I do wonder what the heck he did to the watch to necessitate a new dial after just 5 years....smashed the plexi?

Edited Oct 28, 2016
  4. prontoprint Oct 28, 2016

I suppose hindsight is a fantastic gift, we'd all be very rich now. I guess they just wanted a working watch and not too bothered what was replaced as long as it "looked" the same and done by a professional.

Feel the auction house got excited when they saw the reference number, hence the guide price for the watch after the usual online checks. Mind you, if you owned an original dial but no watch then this could be a chance to double your money ?

Looking at the one photo , the dial looks flat, not stepped, and the painted Omega symbol seems close to the words with a long S, leading me to think it's mid 70's or 80's. Heads to bookcase for Moonwatch Only .

I agree the bezel should do well as it looks in fairly good nick.

5. spin_transistor Oct 29, 2016

It's a lovely looking piece overall, even with a Pro dial. The patina is pleasing and the tritium matches.

You could argue that the watch will make for a terrific daily wearer for someone who simply wants a straight lug speedy for a little less $. But that watch will likely not ever be "correct" without significant investment.

6. Juan Oct 29, 2016

7. prontoprint Nov 1, 2016

Just had look at watch in person. Nice condition, I think it is has been polished over time so edges not sharp but has been a loved and well worn watch. Bracelet clasp stamped 1171/1 so a more modern replacement I assume. Has original purchase paperwork and instruction manual plus receipt from 1969 for bezel replacement and a service in the 1980's. All in all, I like it as a watch but obviously not in the collectors league.

Shame the auction house were unable to open casebook to check movement though. They did try with in-house equipment but caseback was too stubborn so they abandoned their efforts. I did make the point that you really have to see the movement when marketing a watch at this level. The markers are a nice colour and match with the hands so it doesn't look wrong to the untrained eye. Interesting to see what others make of it based on all of it's replacement parts.

Dash1 likes this.
  8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 1, 2016

Dial is half the value for these. with that dial and bezel, I don't think it will do very well - as compared to what it would go for with a proper (nice) dial and correct bezel.

it could be a good buy if you have a dial and bezel kicking around.

9. prontoprint Nov 1, 2016

I agree , think they have overestimated its value. Probably a nice buy if under £3000 I'd guess. With commission of 25% I also think it will struggle to sell at bottom end of guide price . Mind you, the market never fails to surprise. Just needs someone with a dial and bezel who's been waiting for a nice case & movement to complete the set.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 3, 2016

4200 + premium for the watch

1200 for the bezel

6400 +25% = 8000 for a watch needing a dial that might cost 4000 so 12,000

Or just under $15,000, plus a service.

HOWEVER!

You cant just go out and buy a non pro, non T marked dial for a 105.002. No matter how much money you have, it will take a silly amount to pry a dial from the hands of anyone who has one....maybe the buyer has one.

oddboy likes this.
  11. watchlovr Nov 3, 2016

Yup, I was there, little point in bidding tbh.
    Internet bidder won I think.

12. prontoprint Nov 3, 2016

I was in room as well . Glad we weren't battling for it watchlovr ;-)
    Watch sold to bidder in room with last bid after internet bidding settled but the DON bezel went to an internet bidder. Thought bezel may have made slightly more but I suppose it depends on how many people are bidding on day.

Do you think auction house were right to split items or should have kept them together for integrity ?

I guess the big deal was the later replacement dial knocking a huge amount off the watch's originality.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 3, 2016

They should have kept it together. IMHO.

Just Livin likes this.