Forums Latest Members
  1. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 16, 2013

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 16, 2013

Really tempted to go an early Speedy, but probably holding out for a 2998. This one looks nice, the dials I still have trouble making a call on so I ask the Speedmaster experts to look at them for me.

I'm guessing the hour register being slightly ahead is showing the movement is creeping a little which happens, but then when you buy a Cal 321, you know that a service is best practice to factor in anyway which would sort that out. Hands are probably replacements but compared to other parts the hands are easy to source.

Price is so hard to determine, Speedmasters are going up faster than most of us are tracking them, so after each sale you wonder did that one sell high or am I just out of touch with the street price again?

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 16, 2013

The dial on this one is not in great shape, the hands are later replacements, and the movement looks like it has seen quite a bit of moisture.

Ref. 105.002 is an uncommon piece and a true transition between the 2998 and the 105.003 models. It had the same dial as the 2998s (non-professional dial with radium markers) and 2 types of hands - the earlier ones had alpha/dagger hour and minute hands (like the 2998) and the later models had the hour and minute stick hands typical of the 105.003 and later twisted lug speedmasters. From what I've observed, it is less common than all of the 2998 models except perhaps the -1 and -2 versions of that model.

4. MellyVinelli Feb 16, 2013

You said that hands are relatively easy to source. I have a 145.012-67 and the chronograph sweeper has been replaced by a correct but replacement sweeper. The thing that bothers me is that it clearly has green lume when everything else is old tritium (markers and hands). Especially at night, it is the only chronograph sweeper that glows. So is it possible to source tritium hands?

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 16, 2013

You'll be unlikely to find one even in tritium that matches closely with your dial markers. Your best bet is to buy a new one and have it relumed to approximate the lume in the dial.