Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster 1045, back from STS ..... The wonders of a great watchmaker

1. Tom Dick and Harry May 18, 2016

afternoon all

A few weeks back I sent a rather poorly 1045 off to my watch maker STS in the UK, the case had really seen better days and it was desperately in need of some serious TLC

As a lot of you know STS have invested a great deal of money in their facilities over the last few years and this is felt in no better place than the quality of the work then can now do on cases

They have gone to town on the kit, new polishing machines, laser welding equipment, sand blasting equipment and lapping machines galore

Anyway, this has just arrived back so I wanted to share it with you, it was a real mess before it went and as you can see other than the odd mark on the back of the lugs you would be troubled to think on first glance that it wasn't a new watch

Anyone who gets a chance really must try and check them out! Most of the community know their service manager Simon (who really is one of the shining stars of the business) but seeing their museum collection and their facilities is a must in our community if you ever get the opportunity

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

nfranco, Ken G, Longbow and 22 others like this.
  2. DJM74 May 18, 2016

Looks great i have not had the pleasure to use STS but have visited them as i am working locally and i have spoken to Simon on a number of occasions regarding possible purchases and he really is the most helpful person i have come across in a long time .

3. KstateSkier May 18, 2016

What did it look like before?! Sure looks new now! Thanks for posting!

4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 18, 2016

Wow! It looks factory-fresh! Amazing work.

5. Tom Dick and Harry May 18, 2016

It was a real mess previously! There were quite a few dinks in it!

Back in the day companies with lapping machines used to just lap back until the dinks were out but the resits looked amazing but caused irreparable damage! I saw a big blue once were it was so heavily lapped the bezel wouldn't stay on

STS laser weld all the damage first and then lap the case so as to retain all of the case material then can and no loose the original dimensions

6. lwong May 18, 2016

Needs the before pics - sounds like it'll be quite the eye-opener!

7. Psych May 18, 2016

It's a new watch! More amazing work from Simon and his colleagues. Why would you want to use anyone else?

8. Slevin kelevra May 18, 2016

Looks amazing. STS are the best IMO. Not just Simon but the whole team are never anything but super helpful.

9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 18, 2016

Wish they wee stateside...

Darlinboy likes this.
  10. Tom Dick and Harry May 18, 2016

Hi chaps, sadly I don't think I have a before shot, normally STS do one for me but appears I forgot to ask on this one!

They really are amazing, I just put 20-30 omegas through STS a year! They are simply the best, their customer service is second to none and with resources like Simon on hand to support the community they are beyond excellent!

With the addition of their new polishing equipment their work IMHO exceed bienne and anyone else and that mixed with them actually doing exactly what collectors ask them to do (and not like bienne: what they think is best) makes them leagues ahead of the rest

Fordex, lando, Banner Roar and 2 others like this.
  11. Davidt May 18, 2016

Got to agree wholeheartedly.

I've had several watches to STS and their work, comms, everything is excellent. One of the watches was a dog of a speedy-worn out case, algal plots, loose bracelet, wrong hands. It was returned to me in just over three weeks looking amazing. No visible loss of material, yet the case looked almost pristine.

If you can get your watch to them. Do it.

12. pwojnar May 18, 2016

Do they work on gold plated or capped cases too? I was thinking of sending my gold plated Mark 2 to replateit.com, but maybe I should send to them if they do gold.

13. dialstatic May 18, 2016

Amazing. That settles it for me: I'm contacting them.

jordn likes this.
  14. 2ar2c1 May 18, 2016

there are usa options for vintage omegas, like Nesbits:

IMG_0766.jpg IMG_1281.jpg
    Fordex, Taddyangle, PaulC77 and 2 others like this.
  15. Banner Roar May 18, 2016

Agree, STS has my 74 speedy and is getting a movement only clean and service. Got the impression Simon knows exactly what collectors want.

16. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 18, 2016

pic? before and after?

17. spaniard May 19, 2016

Wow is it the angle or does that watch (mark IV? ) sit like a good 4 or 5 cm high?

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 19, 2016

No, that's what it is.

You may notice that @2ar2c1 is holding the watch totally upright in a balanced position.

This is due to the fact that these watches, unless kept in perfect vertical balance, can fall to either side which has caused a number of bad wrist burns, and in a few documented cases, total breakage of the wrist joint.

It takes a brave man to wear them.

TNTwatch, ahartfie, spaniard and 4 others like this.
  19. immustard A condiment that loves to chive to thyme songs May 19, 2016

Think I'll give them a try,as live in Essex where they are based :)Expensive but great quality /work, will they let you just 'pop in' or is that for special repeat customers?

20. Davidt May 19, 2016

I think I posted some before pics a while ago, but possibly not the 'after' ones. I'll add some when I get chance.

Incidentally, I don't believe mine was laser welded, just expertly polished.