Forums Latest Members
  1. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 16, 2013

This thread i s just for discussion sake.... so please don't get carried away i have no intension of separating the forum in to two groups.:cool:

So here it is .... i think Connies deserves way better recognition and appraisal compared to speedies...
    Honestly speaking, when i first started ....all the speedies looked the same.... for the last 50 years, how much did they change by design?!

if there is a small ding or scratch on a connie, poeple cross it off as a bad condition... where as i have seen people jumping on shi**y speedie.... (yeah yeah rare calibre)

To me a average connie looks way better than any speedie ... Connies have character and craftsmanship embedded in to their design.... If not that for moon thing i dont see anything special about speedie.

what ever the case it may be i am a man for looks and i am a connie ::beer:: enlighten me... am i missing something here?

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 16, 2013

Of course you are :D. 1. The moon thing is bigger than you think. 2. The Speedmaster is more manly, sporty, functional, all that guy good stuff. 3. It is available in rare vintages and new hardly changed versions.

That's a start, others can add to this.

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 16, 2013

Hmmm, to start with your post mentions character and craftsmanship, take a long hard look at this.....

$T2eC16J,!ygE9s7HHohuBRWuOKIggw~~60_57.jpg
    astrosfan likes this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 16, 2013

Moonwatch plain and simple. I love connies no question and own many examples in very many variations but for me the speedmaster but at the same price point, I would pick the speedmaster over the constellation.

Certain brands are best known for certain models:

Rolex - Submariner
    Patek - Calatrava
    AP - Royal Oak
    JLC - Reverso
    UG - Tricompax

And for Omega it is the Speedmaster

5. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2013

Part of the reason a Speedmaster holds and gains value is that they have had nearly the same look for the moonwatch for decades. The Porsche 911 has that same factor going for it. I'm not into Speedmasters, but there's no denying people want them.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 16, 2013

There are tool watch guys and there are chronometer guys....

To appreciate the Speedmaster, you have to wallow in the tool watch mystique - all-business, rugged, functional. If you do, then the Speedmaster is on the freakin' short list - it's been to the Moon, dammit! (also the Woerda, but that's a different story). That's up there with the Mariana Trench, a few select automobile races, combat, rafting across the Pacific...you get it. Nobody broke the speed of sound in freefall wearing a Connie Deee-Luxe, ladies!

gunnery-sergeant-hartman-full-metal-jacket-usmc-drill-instructor-bored-idiot-top-ten-badass-10.jpg

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 16, 2013

Or this:

[​IMG]

8. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 16, 2013

MSN i always wanted to ask your pics looks unique ... they have some sort of xerox copy effect to them

9. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 16, 2013

Men always like women dont they ?::bleh::

10. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 16, 2013

That makes sense...

but looks like most of the omagers are speedie lovers

11. alam Apr 16, 2013

It would be similar as to compare...

[​IMG]

with

[​IMG]

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 16, 2013

Also, read about how the speedmaster helped the Apollo XIII astronauts return to earth - and won for omega the silver snoopy award from NASA astronauts.

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 16, 2013

I started thinking the same - all i was interested in was dress seamasters and connies. I always knew I would get a speedy at some point, as I think they are a vital part of any collection, and once I put it on, I was hooked!

14. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 16, 2013

i think its more of

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]

Dablitzer likes this.
  15. alam Apr 16, 2013

I think my browser is faulty, there's only one picture showing on your last post..:D

16. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2013

Exactly the opposite for me. I was sure I wanted one, then tried on several and was not impressed. The only one I liked was the Valjoux 7750 models (the 40 mm or less sizes) and since I already have the Breitling with the 7750 there was no desire to own an Omega with one.

17. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 16, 2013

I think your browser is working perfectly fine... ;)

Just like any connie its sexy, old and yeah experienced :D

18. Wheels Apr 16, 2013

They are, in my opinion, two very different watches. The Connie is the quintessential dress watch in the vintage Omega stable. I qualify that comment specifically as the Vintage Omega Stable. The modern Connie leaves me cold and there are many finer dress watches outside the Omega stable, the most important being the aforementioned Calvatra. Essentially the Connie, in all its vintage forms looks great in the formal environment.
    Of course there are those who would argue that the Speedie is equally at home in the boardroom and scaling Mt Everest. If said Speedie is the rosé gold/stainless model, then possibly. (I find it a little gauche myself). The Speedie is a tool watch, albeit a low water resistance tool watch, but a tool watch none the less.
    I own both and love them equally but if forced to choose, a nice vintage Speedie will always moisten me more than a vintage Connie. There is something about beautiful aged lume and a subtle lightening of the dial that I love.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366164620.112184.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366164649.980315.jpg

19. ulackfocus Apr 16, 2013

"experienced"

20. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Apr 16, 2013

:thumbsup: corrected