Forums Latest Members

SOLD Spectacular and rare (albeit small) ETERNA Türler Radium Bumper in a "tre tacche" case!

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 10, 2020

This is one that I thought, years ago when I purchased it from a Swiss dealer, that I would never sell. But as I don't wear it, and still have too many nice watches, I've decided to let someone else enjoy it.

First, to kill the suspense, the case measures 31mm excluding the crown. So this is not a watch for those who like to wear Ploprofs. :D But for those, like me, who can comfortably wear smaller watches, and for collectors who might simply appreciate the beauty and rarity of this particular watch, it is extremely desirable.

I would say that it is in excellent overall condition, and particularly within the context of its age. I believe it to be fully original, with the possible exception of the crystal. When I purchased it, the dealer suggested that it had been owned by one person only, and given its condition, I am willing to believe that. The movement dates to around 1938, so the watch is currently ~80 years old! One would be hard-pressed to find another automatic watch of that age in such fine condition, but that's just a part of the story.

Vintage ETERNA were, for a few years at least, under the radar while the vintage market began to heat up. I was able to collect more than a few nice ones just before their values rose substantially, and this is undoubtedly the best and most rare of the smaller cased models that I have bought. Note that I am careful, thanks to my good friend (and our Moderator) Bill Sohne, about when I use the word "rare". Bill taught me years ago to distinguish between "uncommon" and "rare", as there are obviously far more of the former, and the two are often confused. In this instance, I am comfortable describing this watch as being rare for the following reasons:

> there are few surviving early ETERNA that were double-branded Türler, let alone in this condition

> the dial and hand-set are not only original, but have patinated beautifully; radium dials of that age typically degraded to a noticeable degree over time, with some form of radium burn often found on dial faces

> the dial has a FAB SUISSE signature below the 6, a variation that some collectors, myself included, like, as they are much less common than the ubiquitous "SWISS"

> the Arabic numerals are executed in an uncommon, stylized and attractive font

> the case is the tre-tacche variety that many collectors covet

> last but not least, and certainly the most subtle, the Türler signature is a rarely seen, early variation; in the close-up photo you will notice that the "U" is undersized, to accommodate the umlaut (i.e. the two dots above the letter); the vastly more common variation featured the "U" in the same size as the other letters

The combination of all of the above, to my mind, undoubtedly makes this watch rare.

Here is a photo of Türler's flagship store on Zurich's Bahnhofstrasse:

[​IMG]

The dial, as mentioned, is outstanding. I'll let the photos do the talking. Note that the second hand is a bit more "voluptuous" in the middle than most. This was a style used on some models during the '30s and '40s by ETERNA, and I like it very much. It adds "weight", or substance to the hand.

Under a loupe, a few fine scratches can be seen on the case, but it retains its original finish (vertically brushed mid-case, etc.), and is remarkably well preserved given its age. The fact that the engravings on the back, and especially the (lighter) serial number, are so clear, underscores how little use the watch has seen. The screw-back operates very smoothly, underscoring its quality and, again, its relative lack of use.

As many collectors know, ETERNA is the primary source DNA of today's ETA movements. In fact, way back in 1932, ETERNA separated it's movement making facility from the watch manufacture, and named it ETA SA. For readers interested in digging deeper into the connection between ETERNA and today's ETA (owned by the SWATCH Group), this is a good overview:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/a-brief-history-of-eta/

I mention the above because the watch that I am selling features an early bumper automatic movement, predecessor of the full-rotor Eterna-Matic movements that were wildly successful, and spawned the iconic five ball bearing symbol used to this day by the company.

The movement is caliber 833E. The "E" designates Eterna's early (I believe first) in-house shock protection. It is also in excellent condition, and has a smooth bumper "action". It is a well-finished movement, and in my view, one of the very best bumper automatics produced prior to 1940. I have only worn this watch on a few occasions over the years, and while it is working properly, have never timed it. I would of course recommend a service if the new owner intends to wear it regularly.

[​IMG]

So, in summary, I am offering an exceptional and rare early ETERNA bumper automatic, double-branded, beautiful, and remarkably well preserved. These smaller models were once bargains, but as their desirability has increased among collectors, and especially Japanese collectors, the best of them sell for strong, and at times even eye-watering prices. I have sold a few vintage watches of around 30mm, including by lesser-known brands, directly to Japanese dealers for around what I will ask for this beauty, and they are then able to sell them for two to three times their cost (excluding service)! In fact, if it weren't for the fallout from the virus, I would probably be offering it to them in Munich, rather than on the forum. But in this instance, their loss may well be a forum member's gain!

I ask $1250 (or EUR equivalent), and will ship EMS express worldwide from my home in Portugal. I would prefer a bank transfer, but PayPal is a possibility.

PLEASE NOTE: The watch will be sold and shipped head only!

Feel free to ask any questions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 12, 2020

some interest shown, but still available...

Aedaxoo and Zdzislaw like this.
  3. CaptainWinsor Sep 12, 2020

Nothing but top notch watches from @Tony C.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 18, 2020

Sold! Thanks very much to the new owner, a friend from the Far East, and, as always, to the helpful moderators and forum owners. :thumbsup:

Zdzislaw, Syrte, apsm100 and 4 others like this.
  5. WhatYourWatchSay Nov 18, 2020

Someone got a really terrific watch!

Zdzislaw and Tony C. like this.
  6. Zapatta Nov 19, 2020

Just wow, Tony!
    Little question regarding radium dials.. how do you avoid radium burn on dial when you store your watch for long time? Do you take off hands?

Thanks

7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 19, 2020

@Zapatta

Thanks! To answer your question, I have owned a very small number for ~20 years, and have not experienced radium burn on any of them, all without any special care. But I did at least wind them now and then, which would have reduced the risk significantly.

From what I can gather, there are two main factors that contribute to burn. The first, as you suggest, is that they remain unused for long periods of time. The second, which I believe to be even more important, is how much radium was used in the hands, and what was the compound. I have no specific insights into the process, but there is no doubt that some lume was much more "hot" than others. That of course helps to explain why some vintage radium watches test much higher than others.

I also believe that some manufacturers may have used something like a sealant on the back side of the hands which helped to prevent burn. This may not have originally been done for that specific purpose, but rather to help stabilize the lume in the hands. It may also be the case that the finishing lacquers on the dial faces made a difference. Some may have been more vulnerable than others.

I'm no chemist, but those are my best guesses!

Edited Nov 19, 2020
  8. Zapatta Nov 19, 2020

@Tony C. Thanks for your insight and explanation. I'm thinking about putting my only radium watch in safe so have concerns about radium marks. As you put it, best way is to wind them regulary. ::popcorn::

Tony C. likes this.