Forums Latest Members
  1. bdp Oct 10, 2017

Thought this may be of interest. From upcoming RR Space auction images and text from RR Auction
    8465 - ISS Expedition 31/32: Gennady Padalka's Flown Omega Speedmaster Pro
    Estimate: $25,000+
    [​IMG]
    Mouse Over to Zoom/Click to Enlarge

The most prolific spaceman's Omega 'Moon Watch'—carried on the ISS in 2012
    Description
    Record-setting cosmonaut Gennady Padalka's flown Omega Speedmaster Professional wristwatch, serial number 77754951, used on the International Space Station during Expedition 31/32 in 2012. The iconic timepiece is a black-faced, stainless steel chronograph, manual wind wristwatch with a Plexiglass crystal, solid case back, anti-vibration and anti-magnetic dust cover, black tachymeter bezel and sub-dials, without date or day complications, powered by a caliber 861-based movement. Engraved on the case back is "Flight-Qualified by NASA For All Manned Space Missions / The First Watch Worn on the Moon." The watch is on a black Velcro wristband, but includes the original metal bracelet issued with it. Also includes the original Omega red leather box, operating manual, and white cardboard box, which has a "Gennday Ivanovich Padalka" label affixed on the cover. In fine condition, with some light scuffing to the crystal. Accompanied by two letters of authenticity signed by Padalka, one typed and one handwritten; the handwritten letter reads, in part: "I herewith certify this Speedmaster Professional watch…was flown on the ISS and used by me during Expedition 31/32 in 2012." The typed letter, in part: "On May 15th, 2012, I launched to the ISS aboard Soyuz TMA-04M from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan and arrived at the ISS on May 17th, 2012. I…returned to Earth on September 17th, 2012 after a total of 125 days on orbit and my 3rd mission to the ISS…During EXP 32, Yuri Malenchenko and I performed a spacewalk outside the space station…During my time outside the station, I left this chronograph in the Pirs Module air lock and it was subjected to the vacuum of the space environment for 5 hours and 51 minutes during my ninth EVA in Space. This watch flew a total of 2 thousand orbits during 125 days in Space and traveled approximately 50 million miles during my space flight. This Omega Speedmaster has been part of my personal collection since I returned to Earth after the Expedition 32 mission to the International Space Station. This chronograph is one of the rare artifacts to journey into Space." Also includes images of Padalka wearing the watch in space and signing the letters of authenticity.

Edited Oct 10, 2017
  2. sevenhelmet Oct 10, 2017

Well, that's surprising. If I ever got the chance to fly a watch in space, I sure wouldn't be selling it, even (or especially) after multiple missions.

Ssunnylee24 likes this.
  3. mikesspeedy Oct 11, 2017

So surly that's gonna be a CAL 1861. Why not say that instead of says its an 861 based Cal? so if I get this right, it may be space flown but never actually worn on an EVA, just left in the air lock, why leave it in the air lock? either wear it on the eva or leave it in the space station.

4. Timmert Oct 11, 2017

Almost sounds like someone was planning to leave it there to sell it later on.
    Could have worn it on EVA, maybe didn't want to risk damage/loss?

5. mikesspeedy Oct 11, 2017

I think your right, it was always a planned sell on. They are saying a 861 based cal to almost give the suggestions its an older watch than it is, Leaving it in the air lock to give it vacuum time smacks of sell the watch at some point. I still think had he worn it on the eva he could have got more for an EVA worn speedy.

6. Timmert Oct 11, 2017

That would be weird, to space flight approve a watch, but forbid using it on EVA. It might be something along those lines though, as it sure would command a higher auction price if it was worn on the space walk.
    And it does look like that was the plan all along...

7. Ssunnylee24 Oct 11, 2017

Things money can buy VS things people would sell for money...

If that was mine, (big if) I would keep that watch and give to my son down the road for sure!

8. Timmert Oct 11, 2017

Maybe he had two? If I had more space worn watches than children, I would be selling them too. (The watches!:D)

vienna and Ssunnylee24 like this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Oct 11, 2017

Will be a personal watch, rather than an issued equipment watch...

Just Livin and SpeedyPhill like this.
  10. mikesspeedy Oct 11, 2017

Your clarification made me laugh there. Nice one.

11. mikesspeedy Oct 11, 2017

Me too

Ssunnylee24 likes this.
  12. Timmert Oct 11, 2017

Well, everything is for sale, but I believe selling your own kids is still somewhat frowned upon ::popcorn::

Ssunnylee24 likes this.
  13. TLIGuy Oct 11, 2017

No comment on the watch or the auction but I will say if there is one cosmonauts Speedmaster to own, used on an EVA or not, Gennady's is the one to have.

If ever there was the Russian equivalent of John Young, Gennady in the man. He currently holds the record for the most days spent in space flying 5 missions spending 879 cumulative days in space.

Meet Gennady Padalka...

Edited Oct 11, 2017
  14. TLIGuy Oct 11, 2017

I think it is a bit misguided to speculate on Padalka's intentions.

If you speculate that his intention was always to sell the watch would he not be smart enough to know how much more he could potentially make by wearing it on his EVA? Knowing the relationship between Omega and the Russian space agency I would guess there are more Speedmasters floating around the Russian segment of the ISS then there is one any given day at your local AD.

Edited Oct 11, 2017
  15. mikesspeedy Oct 11, 2017

Take your point. no disrespect to the man intended. my full apologies if anything I said implied differently. However I still would like to know why anyone would describe a Speedy as cal 861 based, surly it either is 861 or its 1861? or do the Russians make changes to the CAL?

TLIGuy likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 11, 2017

Serial number: 77754951
    Article ref: 35705000

Movement is definitely an 1861.

Cheers, Al

17. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 11, 2017

Not anyone, an auction house...and usually they ain't such pro's with respect to the goods they sell unlike the good folk here ;)

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. mikesspeedy Oct 11, 2017

Archers cleared it up!

19. abrod520 Oct 11, 2017

Also before we go nuts over whether or not this Speedmaster was brought to space with the intention to sell it, let's not forget that bringing all sorts of mementos along to be sold upon return was common practice for the Apollo astronauts.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 11, 2017

He reaffirmed my point before I made it :)