Forums Latest Members
  1. Om-ega Jan 25, 2016

Hello ,

I am looking to start a private sales of Omega Speedmaster's and need some advice in this regard. Where do you source them from ? What kind of margins do you expect from individual pieces(on an average)?
    Any information will be of huge help. Thanks in advance.

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 26, 2016

::popcorn::

fibonacci086, Huus, Baz9614 and 9 others like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 26, 2016

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

If you need to ask you really shouldn't be doing it. New amateur dealers are my worst nightmare and the biggest ongoing admin expense we have at this site.

cicindela, bazamu, Spacefruit and 2 others like this.
  5. Davidt Jan 26, 2016

::facepalm1::

6. Om-ega Jan 26, 2016

But that has not stopped new dealers from getting into. Am I ruffling feathers here ? Aren't we open to fair competition?

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 26, 2016

I'm an experienced dealer who has spent years creating networks and working out the best place to source vintage watches at a good price. Now, I'm going to share my intellectual property with all and sundry.

RawArcher and bazamu like this.
  8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 26, 2016

Just kidding.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2016

I have the 2013 comemorative White Sands birth place of NASA going for $10000. You won't find another available anywhere. PM me if your interested
    image.jpeg

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  10. bryanmanio Jan 26, 2016

Trade secrets!

11. cristos71 Jan 26, 2016

Well as long as you are in it for the long haul and not just hoping to make a quick and speculative short term buck on the back of the Speedmaster bandwagon I would suggest one good way is just to buy as many as you can new from an AD, don´t touch or open the packaging and definitely don´t wear the watch. Put them away safely for the next 40 - 60 years or so and when you come back , voila! NOS Speedmasters !!

Historically speaking you should then see a good dollar return on your original outlay when you do decide to sell.

( Disclaimer: the value of your investment can go down as well as up, please be responsible for your own due diligence)

12. Davidt Jan 26, 2016

Competition is great when it's someone who knows what they're talking about and can find watches the rest of us maybe wouldnt.

Rocking up and basically saying "I want to be a dealer, but have no idea what I'm talking about and can't be arsed to learn/research for myself. Can you guys just give me all the contacts/info you've worked years to accumulate so I can compete with you for watches and then add my margin on top before I try to sell them onto you" is a joke.

13. tyrantlizardrex Jan 26, 2016

image.jpeg

Paedipod, Optimizer13 and vadimo like this.
  14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

No, we're into fair dealing, I could care less about competition, this isn't the NASDAQ its a watch enthusiast website. You need the knowledge first, otherwise you're as useless as a cab driver in a city he's never visited before.

The guys who are the experienced dealers started as collectors and as their collections grew to very high levels they started using the knowledge they'd acquired over years and years of collecting along with a massive amount of starting capital to make a modest amount on dealing watches.

There are no shortcuts here, if you think you're going to hop into the Speedmaster market and find arbitrage opportunities that the entire collector world haven't noticed with less knowledge and information than they have, you're going to leave either yourself or your customers very disappointed in the outcomes. And if you do the later, then we end up having to get involved, which is incredibly frustrating.

So no, the guys you see as big time dealers didn't just one day buy a bike with training wheels and hop on to go for a ride.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 26, 2016

When you have acquired the knowledge, contacts, and product, and you are able to be competitive you will certainly be welcomed.

Right now you are not fair competition, because lacking all those you are at a very substantial disadvantage...

16. Om-ega Jan 26, 2016

At the outset let me thank you for the advice and couple of informative suggestions from fellow members. At the same time I am equally surprised by the harshness and bad jokes on very innocuous questions from another watch enthusiast. No one is asking to share your contacts, and so called IP - naivety is not bliss. This is no NASDAQ nor a big boys club but was expecting some large heartedness in sharing information or pointers to a novice. It would have been great to know your views on avoiding counterfeit, standardization and pricing(inflated by some) which a site like http://speedmaster101.com/ addresses. So guy's hold strong to your trade secrets while I will find my way.

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2016

Being a member of Omega Forum is a way to educate yourself. But do the hard yards yourself and don't just post a post like you did above.

There is only one trade secret most follow- RESEARCH THEN MORE RESEARCH

Do you own the moonwatch only book yet ? Seriously do you..

ConElPueblo and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  18. abrod520 Jan 26, 2016

From my perspective, dealers are able to charge a premium for their watches because they've done the legwork, researching the models and the best places to find them and bring them to the public - and collectors are willing to pay that premium because they know they're getting a quality product due to that work. However, what you're essentially asking here is for us to do that legwork, so that you can then turn around and sell us these Speedmasters for a premium. Keep in mind these Speedmasters would otherwise be bought for a lower price by the very collectors whose sources you're asking them to share with you...

If you think about it, it's kind of like hiring a general contractor to build you a house - but then, the contractor subcontracts you, at a lower wage, to build it!

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 26, 2016

A very accurate analogy, and precisely why the guys that come here asking how to be a dealer are not received warmly.

20. Om-ega Jan 26, 2016

I am not asking all that....it does not work that way at all.