Forums Latest Members

Sourcing an OEM sapphire exhibition case back (from 1863)

1. zygarde May 6, 2022

I've got a speedmaster that has the same case as the 1861 moonwatch. I'd like to source a genuine sapphire exhibition case back for it, is this something that the service center could source and install for me?

I'm aware there are aftermarket case back options, however my first preference is to source something genuine (and have it installed) from Omega themselves.

2. KnoP May 6, 2022

I think any Omega Service Partner should be able to do this! with the RefNo you get a partnumber and the installation should be easy...

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2022

Omega doesn't allow/condone mixing parts between different models, so Omega won't sell you those parts - you would have to find them on the open market.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! May 6, 2022

Also I am curious about the wording 'same case as the 1861 Moonwatch' can we infer from that the watch in question is a Broad Arrow or Grail ie using a different movement in the Pro case? If that is the case you will have further complications locating the movement since the 1861 ring wont necessarily work, the other movements are different sizes.

5. savka May 6, 2022

Interesting. Do you have any insight into why they're willing to sell the bracelet that comes with the 3861 separately to owners of previous generations? I guess all generations of the Speedy Pro are technically the same model so maybe the policy doesn't apply, but then would I be allowed to buy a sapphire caseback for the 1863 to install on my 1861?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 6, 2022

Omega does sell straps, bracelets, clasps, and those sort of parts to the general public. Where they draw the line is selling parts of the watch head.

savka likes this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 6, 2022

As usual, Archer is correct. I asked for the new exhibition case back to be installed on my Cal. 3861 Speedmaster when I sent it in for our much discussed Power Reserve issues. Simple answer - NO!