Forums Latest Members

Sources for unbranded parts ???

1. Professor Dec 5, 2017

Hi
    Just started gathering parts to assemble a watch that suits my needs.
    Already obtained a NOS 138.311 Movement with date, also generic case with crystal, back and spacer ring suited to the movement.
    Next up will be a dial that fits the movement.
    I don't want to use a dial that has any company logo. there are thousands of those available usually very cheap.

I'd like a pearl finish dial, with or without markers present. I've got my own idea of making markers.

If anyone would like to help out I could sure use some links to online sources for generic unmarked parts.
    I could also use instructions on mounting dials to a movement. I've got a rough idea but don't want to start till i know as much as i can about the process.

If someone knows of a good board where the members are mostly into this sort of do it yourself projects that would also be of great help.

Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Canuck Dec 5, 2017

Can’t help. But interested in your result.

Professor and kkt like this.
  3. Professor Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for showing interest.

Just realized the case I ordered includes a crown, hadn't thought about that part.
    I just hope it has the same threads as the stem of the movement I have. Most likely these were standardized.
    The stem is so slim I am a bit concerned that it might not hold up well, but I guess they knew what they were doing.
    The Case is being sent from Rumania but theres no telling where it was manufactured. The printing on the case back is in English.
    Instead of "Water Resistent" or "Water Proof"it says "Water Protected".
    I'll be doing whatever I can to be sure it remains water resistant.
    The styling is sturdy and industrial looking. The crown looks a bit broad, perhaps it has a gasket to seal to the tube. Can't see the tube but it must be there for the crown to remain steady on the case when the images were taken.

I'll probably check out a junk shop that has old watches and pick one up to strip for dial and hands. If I see something I like anyway. I have a few old throwaway battery watches I might strip.

In considering dial finishes it crossed my mind that a polished brass disc allowed to age a bit or aged chemically would look pretty good. Keeping markers simple I could bond or solder short nubs of brass wire in place then file them down to paper thin dots.

Thin walnut veneer bonded to a brass disc is another option. Markers could be burned into the wood using my wood burning stylus.

That step is a long way off though.

I noticed a Chinese company advertising CNC machined watch cases, at 5 USD but with a minimum order of ten. I suspect some cases like this end up on ebay after someone buys ten but only needs one and want to sell the rest to recoup.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 7, 2017

This will be a good learning experience for you. Look forward to seeing how it goes.

5. Professor Dec 7, 2017

Looking into hands at the moment. surprisingly some of the cheapest sets are replacements for Rolex and other high dollar brands.
    I'd rather not use anything associated with a brand name.

I've remounted popped off second hands of cheap watches and clocks before, without any specialized tool, but I'll be getting a cheap hand press and removal tool before i get to that stage.
    I've adjusted bent hands that were interfering with each other or dragging on the dial. So I have a fair idea of how to proceed and have some skill at close work.

I read in the journal of an American officer who was a POW in the Korean War telling of watching a Chinese guard making a replacement watch crystal from a section of broken light bulb. He was of course impressed by the skill and focus displayed. That always impressed me as well.

I've designed and made by hand filing from mild steel stock several custom scope mounts and adjustable iron sights for antique rifles and lock parts for antique revolvers so when I'm motivated I can focus pretty well.

Like most people a watch is a thing of wonder and mystery till you learn how they work. knowing is less important than understanding, and understanding requires hands on experience.
    I think this is why skeletal watches are so popular these days, though not all that practical in most cases.