Forums Latest Members

Sources and guides on longines

1. semdot14 Dec 8, 2015

I have gone crazy over the vintage Longines 18k Conquests. They are just so cool. I had always (foolishly) thought that Longines was always a second tier watch company. I knew that they were pretty good around WWII and up through the 60's, but never gave them any thought. To me Vintage Omega has always been the best with their designs and movements, but these conquests have rocked the boat.
    Unlike the Omega Constellations that first got me into vintage, there seems to be little to know history on the Conquest or even Longines in general. I found the Watchtime PR spotlight on the brand and found it fascinating but it completely glosses over what I have come to consider the golden age of wristwatches. So my question is, outside of the sticky @ulackfocus posted where he went over the different auto movements, where else can I find more info?

I really want to know why the Conquest line came about. Was it a reaction to the Omega Constellation? I thought I read that having distinct lines within a brand was still pretty novel in the 1950's, so again, why did Longines make the Conquest or even Flagship for that matter? Also, the Connie's medallion has meaning in it. What does the Conquest's 18k medallion mean and why is it different from the GF and SS models? Both the Connie and the Conquest 18K have 8 stars. Did the Conquest also sweep the Chronometer competition? If so, why aren't the movements certified?

In general, I want to know everything (at least the basics) about these Conquests because they are just so amazing. The styling on the dials are, IMHO, just as great as the Connies of the 50's and 60's.

And now some eye candy to justify my new found love...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JONKARLOS, DaveK and Sameh like this.
  2. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2015

If you knew how highly regarded Longines was back then, you'd realize that it was more likely the other way around. ;)

3. semdot14 Dec 8, 2015

Haha! Really? What happened to them during the quartz crises? I know they were forerunners in quartz technology, putting a lot of effort into it and during the crisis were grouped into what is now the swatch group, but why are they now seen as second tier causing fools like me to believe that has always been the case?

4. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2015

The Conquest started life as the All Guard in late 1951, which morphed into the Conquest around late 1953 or early 1954, while having a very short parallel run as the Comet. Must have been something to do with marketing, particularly in the US. It was Longines' top of the line automatic.

The Flagship started life in the mid 50's (somewhere between 1955 and 1957) as Longines' top of the line manual wind - which probably spawned the Genève line of manual winds from Omega.

But who knows? It could have been the other way around with either, or both, lines.

semdot14 likes this.
  5. semdot14 Dec 8, 2015

BTW thanks for answering all of my questions. I feel like I've just discovered mechanical watches again so I'm super excited.

6. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2015

Couldn't tell you what led to their downgrading, but if you ask somebody who's older than 65 they'd tell you that Longines was THE brand back then. So much so that JLC and VC sought them out to help the two companies compete in the American market under the LeCoultre name. They would ship movements and dials to Longines' NY plant (marked VXN on the balance cock) for installation into US made cases. This saved on tariffs.

semdot14 likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2015

8. semdot14 Dec 8, 2015

That is incredible. Before I got into watches about 7 years ago, I got a used late 90s longines. I took it into a jeweler to fit the bracelet and the watchmaker looked at it and said "don't make 'em like they used to." I thought it was a compliment but now I'm thinking it was reminiscing. I got rid of the watch to by my first Connie c case.

Anyways, I would be interested to know what happened to them because it seems really strange. I can't think of another brand who's image changed as much.

9. semdot14 Dec 8, 2015

I'll check those links out! Thanks!

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2015

Longines used to be noted for advertising in stadiums using large clocks, or even sometimes the game clocks for football or basketball.

Here's a picture from Yankee Stadium circa 1940's:

[​IMG]

Extra credit if anyone can tell me who the NY Yankees were playing that day.

Not sure that the All Guard "morphed" into the Conquest, so much as it begat the Conquest. My All-Guard dates to about 1956, or after the Conquest started production. I think it's more like the relationship between some no-name Omegas and Seamasters, where the same movements were used in watches at difference price points.

Here is a website (looks like it was recently restored) that has tons on information on older US market Longines:

http://www.vintagewatchresources.com/

There's also a serial number database.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

semdot14 likes this.
  11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 8, 2015

Longines was the undisputed king of inhouse movements from the 1910's-1950's, including chronograph, manual winds, automatics, pocket watches, split second complications, center chronograph... in terms of design, they were also top of the line. If anybody thinks them subpar, they just don't. know. their. history.

longines13zn.jpeg maxresdefault.jpg LG14a.jpg longines-conquest-3.jpg 21466_861_img_1822_zps4baecf20.jpg longines19-73N-1.jpg 12.68z.jpeg
    Mark020, Andsan, Rman and 2 others like this.
  12. Hijak Dec 8, 2015

Love me some Longines!!!

13. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 8, 2015

I have the no date version of the Glitter Conquest. Love it. This thread inspired me to throw my Connie back in the box and grab the Conquest.

image.jpeg

JONKARLOS and semdot14 like this.
  14. semdot14 Dec 8, 2015

Oh man those chronographs are gorgeous!

15. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 8, 2015

Yeah, I'm thinking about selling my Rolex 5513 to fund the purchase of a Longines chronograph and a UG tri compax.

khmt2 likes this.
  16. semdot14 Dec 8, 2015

I would say that would be well worth it. Haha

17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 8, 2015

They don't call it the Grand Prize for nothing
    image.jpeg

JONKARLOS, DaveK and semdot14 like this.