Forums Latest Members
  1. dakota.destiny Oct 6, 2018

Picked up a used watch that comes with a screw down crown , but is only rated at 50m (165 ft) can this watch still be used in the pool or showers ? Thank you in advance.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 6, 2018

Depends on the watch and its last pressure test, but if you're worried about it and its used probably safest to keep it dry.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. dakota.destiny Oct 6, 2018

it is a new Graham Silverton Gmt .

4. sah Oct 9, 2018

The water resistance is complicated by many variables. Most new watches with a 50 meter WR are good for splashing and washing your hands. Some watches, like Citizen, will say this 50 meter rating is ok for swimming by not scuba diving. However, the Omega Speedmaster is rated at 50 meters and many of the folks on this Omega Forum have stated they will not risk swimming with their Speedmaster. You should check the paperwork on your watch to see how they define water resistance. I swim with my Omega Seamaster, but that comes with a 300 meter WR.
    You also need to keep the crown screwed closed while exposed to water. Do not operate the pushers as well.. Finally, the gaskets on the case and crown will perish with time, and exposure to saltwater and chlorine. You should wash the watch after exposure with fresh water. And have it serviced and pressure tested as recommended.

5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 9, 2018

Please search the forum, as depth ratings have been covered in excruciating detail. And the good threads include real information such as "50 meters means 50 meters"

Foo2rama and dennisthemenace like this.
  6. sjg22 Oct 9, 2018

Can it survive unharmed? Perhaps...

Should you do it? I wouldn’t. It’s not a dive watch and not worth the risk. Especially as it’s used with unknown history.

7. michael22 Oct 9, 2018

If you bought it to swim with, swim with it.
    Sometimes things fail, though.

kkt likes this.
  8. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Oct 9, 2018

Isn’t it a bit big and heavy when you cleave through the water? At the price of these watches, a Casio might be a more practical option

9. kkt Oct 9, 2018

If you're taking a watch into the water, have it pressure tested annually.

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Slowpoker Oct 9, 2018

50m water resistance is said to be good for dips and showers by Omega, nothing serious like diving or swimming.

However I'm sure the watch can survive these, just don't operate the pushers in the water or turn the crown. Pressure test the watch first, then slowly expose it to water to gauge it's resistance.

If you go all out without pressure testing, you may end up with one saturated watch movement and a hefty bill.

Overall the watch will be fine for the pool and showers, just get it tested first to make sure things are sealed.

Remember: DO NOT press the pushers or pull out the crown. I can imagine one brushing the watch against a pool wall and accidently pressing down on the pusher.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 9, 2018

Ugh. Not again.

ConElPueblo, Foo2rama and ac106 like this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 9, 2018

Search feature here will bring you up to speed on water resistance. Been thoroughly explored.

13. superfly Oct 10, 2018

In my mind there's absolutely no reason to wear a watch while showering or swimming. Although...

Two of my four kids are competitive swimmers. One used to wear a Garmin smart watch with a bright green band while at swim practice, swimming alongside dozens of other swimmers. It made it really easy for me to spot him in the pool. Now he doesn't wear it anymore, but I can spot him easily by his perfect form and technique. :)

14. mokofoko One sad panda Oct 10, 2018

At least do a pressure test before risking it in the water (even under the tap). Dakota watch co. has a chain of stalls in malls where you can get watches tested for something like $8-$10. Most places charge $15-$30 to do similar tests (probably better, and you get a printout). Totally worth it for peace of mind. There's a locator for Dakota watch shops on their website.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 22, 2018

Swim away, 50 meters is 50 meters.

16. Professor Dec 25, 2018

Years ago in an episode of "Combat" the LT is shown washing his socks. He has a watch with old style scissors expansion band. he pulls the watch halfway up his fore arm to avoid getting it wet.

Not sure how relevant that is but I've always wondered what brand and model that band was.
    My Admiral might have that much extension but I hesitate to try it.
    I have a rubber band with deployment clasp and found when open it can be used in this way.
    Probably something one should practice in order to protect a watch from immersion when taking it off would not be convenient. Say when fishing for something like car keys you've dropped in a puddle.