Forums Latest Members
  1. hjung1224 Jun 22, 2014

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here have a rather (could-be) dumb question. My father just turned to his 60 and I want to buy him a decent watch. As many newbies usually are, I'm torn between Omega and Rolex. To be specific, Omega DeVille 37mm and Rolex DateJust 36mm. I think they both look equally stunning although the Rolex is several thousand dollars more expensive. The biggest challenge I'm having is that I can barely find reviews on Omega DeVille watches. Only information I'm having about the DeVille is my first impression on the appearance and the general reputation of the Omega brand. My father's a professor and usually wears semi-suits. Also, he likes hiking and travels to other countries once or twice a year. Can you give me some help? Thx all.

2. ctime3 Jun 22, 2014

The Deville's was introduced as a sister to the seamaster. I personally think it has a more vintage look to it. I do like them. I do not own on though. The sapphire crystal is strong.

It was the first omega watch to house the 8500 movement and the first to have the co-axial option. I think it has proven itself. If your father prefers Roman numerals there are great options. If he wants a non complicated watch the hour vision is great. There are great chronos as well. The bracket is very comfortable too.

There are also hour vision models that have a cool "Mad Men" look to them too.

The he experts can weigh in if I am off on opinions.

Charlie

3. ulackfocus Jun 23, 2014

Boy, wouldn't it be great to have pictures of each watch?

4. ctime3 Jun 23, 2014

Good call. I definitely have the time. stay tuned

5. ctime3 Jun 23, 2014

Here are pictures of the hour vision. I would ask these forum members if they can help you find a DeVille. Personally I would buy one with the 8500 movement or 9300. The Tresor is coming out soon but that is a manual wind -master co axial.

image.jpg
  6. hjung1224 Jun 23, 2014

Thx for you comments, ctime3. I was actually considering more like a plain model. I think it had 2500 as far as I remember.

deville.JPG

So, I actually visited both the Omega dealder, the Rolex one and actually tried them on my wrist. I think the style of DeVille is simple and fabulous. But, the trouble is somehow I can't find many reviews on the Omega DeVille and… I wonder this may mean this particular lineup is really sought after at all by the customers. I'm not sure if my logic is reasonable, but it makes me wonder if there're some reasons that this lineup is not so popular. On the other hand, there are just so many reviews on the Datejust and so many good comments about it. That's actually the reason that I originally posted my question here.

7. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 23, 2014

The datejust has been around for yearsso gets a pretty generic review across all generations. The deville' are the dressy end of omega and dont get the attention of the seamaster and speedmaster models but rest assured the quality is the same. This is similar to the prestige line or should i say an incarnation of the model. Nice and understated with a attractive looking bracelet.

8. ctime3 Jun 23, 2014

I agree exactly with Event Horizon. Try googling omega DeVille 2500 review or without the 2500 and you will find reviews. Now I am a big fan of the seamaster aqua terra. The new and old color schemes can fit every age. I have the book of time if you want any pictures of anything.

Charlie