Forums Latest Members
  1. mac_omega Apr 17, 2016

Sometimes it is impossible to catch the beauty of a watch in photographs...

A reflexion here on the crystal, another there on the case... sometimes it takes me hours... ::facepalm2::

Finally decided to take out the crystal which eliminates at least reflexions and distortion through the crystal.

Then there is still the difficulty to catch the luster/shine of the copper numbers - impossible to catch them all at one time.

I tried a straight shot and all the numbers seemed to be black in the image.

If shot under an angle - not all of the numbers got the shine...

Well after some hours work and endless trials here is the result:

for OF.jpg

My questions:

1) Do you consider it legit to take out the crystal to achieve/enhance the quality of an image in order to be able to avoid distortion and show more details of the dial?

2) even when the photo should be used for publishing in a write up in a watch magazine or on the internet?

3) Or do you think it alters the overall appearance of the watch too much - so a no go?

What does the community think? Let me know.

And a last side note:

As I have found out there are people using my photos without prior asking for permission:

If you use the pictures privatly to store them on your HD for comparison - no problem at all.

But if you use them publicly (e.g. for publishing or the like) please contact me first and let me know what you intend to do with the pictures - don´t steal them!

2. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 17, 2016

Edit - I'm sorry if this post sounds serious, as I wasn't sure if you were taking photos to sell the watch. Reading the replies here, I hope I meant my words positively. The watch is, indeed, beautiful with and without the crystal :)

Edited Apr 18, 2016
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 17, 2016

Very nice result Erich. I think you have found out that the only way is too take many shots and change lighting, angles and other variables and then pick out the best.

4. dialstatic Apr 17, 2016

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2016

Great picture. Personally just very happy to see another image of this model in that shape. :thumbsup:

Here is mine 'with crystal' :D

30t2aa.jpg

6. cimo Apr 17, 2016

Nice photo. I think as the photographer you are entitled to do what you like in order to achieve your desired result.

That said, if you play with the angle of your light source you can definitely get a photo of the dial without any crystal reflection. Make sure there are no other lights around (ceiling lights, windows) to create a reflection from another angle. I just toyed around with this when taking photos of my own collection.

Sometimes I like the reflection. They can turn out happy accidents!

7. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 17, 2016

Dibs!:cool:

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2016

As long as I've done a minor hijack of Erich's thread, here's what these watches look like after 70 years if you don't place them in a vault :rolleyes:

47938d8382_o.jpg MIKE 5_z.jpg
    last, credit MSNWatch

GuiltyBoomerang and ConElPueblo like this.
  9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 17, 2016

Or a wall. ;)

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. Mvsboy Apr 17, 2016

What a beautiful watch!:)

11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 17, 2016

Light boxes and diffuse lighting are your friend. I once had to shoot blown glass pieces for a MFA show.

12. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 17, 2016

It definitely does not detract from their beauty and charm. What is the reference and period of the watch if I may ask? Are the hands red? If yes, are they also heated to that colour like blued hands?

I have serious watch envy towards you three!!!