Forums Latest Members

Sometimes Ebay Just Makes My Head Hurt - "Excellent Condition"

1. redpcar Dec 17, 2017

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 17, 2017

Yeah, the seller obviously has only three grades of condition.

NOS.
    Mint.
    Excellent condition.

3. sxl2004 Dec 17, 2017

My favorite is “mint with signs of wear”

gdupree likes this.
  4. gdupree Dec 17, 2017

hahaha. some people are amazing.

5. Huus Dec 17, 2017

If this were politics the excuse would be "it has been taken out of context".

6. Moadib Dec 17, 2017

Reading through the listing,
    Condition : Pre-Owned, New Battery Mounted, Excellent Condition.
    perhaps the point he's making is that the battery is in excellent condition (or at least that will be the reasoning to the regretful buyer!).

7. wsfarrell Dec 17, 2017

"Mint" is usually mis-used, but at least it has a definition: flawless, perfect. What makes my head explode is "minty," since it means nothing---unless you're talking about mouthwash.

Stewart H and sxl2004 like this.
  8. dialstatic Dec 18, 2017

I used to collect Magic: the Gathering cards. The agreed-upon rating system went something like this:

* Mint: a perfect card. Like new out of a booster pack.

* Near mint: a near perfect card. May have slight edge or corner wear noticeable only on close inspection (cards could sometimes be ‘near mint’ straight out of the pack)

* Excellent: a card with moderate wear from play. May have multiple edge nicks and whitening along the edges. May have a light bend.

* Very good: wear from play. Most edges show whitening and surface may show wear. Bending is common.

* Good: heavy wear from play including bending. All edges show whitening and surface shows heavy wear.

So, idiotically, ‘good’ condition cards were pretty much really bad, and even cards described as ‘excellent’ were generally to be avoided. It was basically the best possible condition for a card that has been played (as opposed to collected).

Whenever I see something like ‘very good’ or ‘excellent’ in a watch description, I can’t help but think of the above list. To me, excellent means ‘not excellent in any real world context’.

Edited Dec 18, 2017
    GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  9. river rat Dec 18, 2017

The best one I hate is when they say it's real but it's a dam fake. To-many fakes have been showing up of fleabay these days than in the past. Like this one. If you go out of your wheel house on a vintage watch some brand or model you know less about on fleabay do your home work before pulling the trigger. This one below makes be laugh weirdest looking fake of the Heuer Bund I ever saw.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-HEUER-BUNDESWEHR-MILITARY-PILOT-CHRONOGRAPH-WATCH-ROTARY-BEZEL-BUND-/302565244381?nma=true&si=eRYUlhscNBUDyttTKl9GSmPuFpM%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Edited Dec 18, 2017
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 18, 2017

At 98.7 positive feedback ... clearly there are no consequences on the bay for being a crook.