Forums Latest Members
  1. AnotherJones Jul 14, 2017

Hi Everyone!

After I purchased my first Omega, and new pride and joy (thread link here) My Dad informed me that his Grandma had a very old Omega pocket / fob watch. Which I was very interested in, and I thought I would share with everyone here, as I absolutely love it.

The Number on the inside of the case is 1267082, which I think dates it to around 1896 or 1897. Other than this, I know almost nothing about it apart from the fact it is an Omega and is simply stunning. Any information would be much appreciated, but overall it is just here for you all to see. Its never going to be up for sale, and I doubt it is worth a huge sum of money!

Many thanks!

IMG_0195.JPG IMG_0233.JPG IMG_0192.JPG IMG_0193.JPG IMG_0191.JPG IMG_0231.JPG
    GregH, Giff2577, dx009 and 9 others like this.
  2. Canuck Jul 14, 2017

Stunning dial! These fancy dials were very popular in the era, particularly in ladie's watches, but occasionally in gent's. The decoration on them is all made of intricately formed and delicate pure gold leaf. The decoration was applied after the vitreous enamel dial had been fired, and while the enamel was still soft. It was all applied by hand, and once the dial was ready, a top application of clear enamel flux was applied, and the dial fired once more. If you look at the dial obliquely, and get the reflected light just right, you can see where all the "jewelling" and gold leaf are not on the surface of the dial, but behind the final glazing. This is "under-glaze" decoration. Being under glaze, the decoration is safe from damage, or from being removed. Spoilage was frequent in the production of these dials as they required many steps, many firings in a kiln, and a lot of hand labor. You are very fortunate to have such a beautifully preserved example. If I am reading the karat stamping correctly, the case appears to be 18-karat gold. An outstanding watch!

3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 14, 2017

Beauty... ladies right?

4. mac_omega Jul 15, 2017

IMO it is more likely your grandma´s watch than your grandfather´s

5. AnotherJones Jul 15, 2017

Thank you so much for all of the info! I will be reading this to my Dad tomorrow and I know he will be fascinated. I have struggled to find much information online, so this is much appreciated!

6. AnotherJones Jul 15, 2017

Yes indeed!

7. AnotherJones Jul 15, 2017

Yes, it was my great grandmother's. Those are her initials which have been beautifully engraved on the back.

8. marco Jul 15, 2017

That is an amazing piece and well worth keeping to pass on one day.
    A thing of beauty is a joy forever , for it will never pass into nothingness.

AnotherJones likes this.
  9. Canuck Jul 15, 2017

Such an item has sentimental worth within the family. It is important that the intrinsic worth of such an item is also preserved for future generations, as well. Re: the interesting dial. Maybe print the information in my previous post, and keep it with the watch.

AnotherJones and marco like this.