Forums Latest Members

Something used - Fortis Marinemaster V72

1. donkii Jan 25, 2016

A couple of years ago, this model came up on the radar when searching for a Valjoux 72, I thought it was fantastic. But, it was a Fortis, against my better knowing I turned my back against it because of the brand, a brand that I now, with better knowing really likes, it has an interesting history, is used by russian and american astronauts and so on..

"Even Harrison Ford uses it on The big screen"
    [​IMG]

That watch that flicked my radar was a Fortis Marinemaster from the early 70's. The watch that appeared that time was in pretty bad shape, used of course and came with a hefty price tag ny my standards for an old Fortis. We fast forward to the beginning of January this year. I threw a email towards western Europe with the following, "I'll take it", got an answer after a while that I missed it by a couple of minutes, the watch I didn't get was a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms 3H Bund.. I know that the guy has some pretty nice watches so I threw another email across Europe asking if he had something else that he was going to sell.. The answer took a day or so.. "I don't know how you like this one, and I don't really know if I'm willing to sell it, but it's a nice Fortis with Valjoux 72" my reply to that didn't take long, "I'll take it". Little did I know that the price on the Fortis I turned my back against for 2-3 years ago was like 10 times as low compared to what I paid now..

Whats not to like?
    Vintage sport chronograph, classic straight lugs, unidirectional divebezel. Valjoux 72 is like icing on the cake to this case. It's easy to float away but it's enough to look at the lugs :). In size it measures in at 39mm but wears a little bigger since the bezel hangs over the case a little. Works for me :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The name Marinemaster is most commonly associated with Seiko but it seems like Fortis used this name/word since the 50's, long before Seiko.
    This model from from Fortis dates to around 1972 and earns it name I'll say. A 70's chrono with a 20ATM WR is pretty neat.

[​IMG]

The Marinemaster was available in two different colors. One with a grey dial and blue accents and one with black dial and yellow/orange accents. The reference for them both will be 8001 and the info regarding these pretty much stops there. Fortis has now released a re-issue and it's easy to believe that these vintage pieces will be more sought after in the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh, I should probably mention that I actually got the yellow/orange dial as well, maybe we'll have some change of clothes in near future :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading :thumbsup:

Maganator, Dogmann, Tubber and 22 others like this.
  2. wsfarrell Jan 25, 2016

Dial seems kind of busy, but it's growing on me. Great bracelet.

3. Davidt Jan 25, 2016

Really like it. Was impressed when you posted the first pics a few days ago.

I've had half an eye on lesser known Valjoux chronos since speedy prices took off last year. Only half an an eye though - gotta get my fix somehow, regardless of cost;)

4. calalum Jan 25, 2016

Mine says hi. Pretty watches. Just never wear this one, despite the condition. Yours looks nice on that bracelet. Enjoy. fortis-marinemaster-1.jpg

Dogmann, x3no, Buckeyes#1 and 5 others like this.
  5. alam Jan 25, 2016

Very nice! :thumbsup:

It has just the perfect levels of "busy" for me! :thumbsup:

donkii likes this.
  6. ping pong patina Jan 25, 2016

congratulations on the acquisition

donkii likes this.
  7. donkii Jan 26, 2016

Sad to hear that, just because of that you should wear it today :)

Edited Jan 26, 2016
  8. donkii Jan 26, 2016

I don't think that it's busy at all :) The classic Navitimers however......::puke::

9. donkii Mar 15, 2017

Bump... has doubled in value the last year... almost like everything else in this hobby :thumbsdown:::rant:

10. w154 Mar 15, 2017

Looks great, and that dial seems quite familiar. I'll be getting my recently acquired Valjoux 726 Eterna back from service in April.

image.jpg
  11. Faz Mar 15, 2017

I've looked for one for quite a time. Quite rare and beautiful chrono...congrats!

:thumbsup:

donkii likes this.
  12. calalum Mar 15, 2017

From what to what?

13. donkii Mar 15, 2017

Saw one for sale that went in a heartbeat for around £4500...

14. calalum Mar 15, 2017

Shouldn't have sold mine last summer (for a bit less than that) but hopefully the forum member who bought it is enjoying and not flipping it.

donkii likes this.
  15. slique12 Mar 15, 2017

A bit too busy for me personally but looks good on your wrist. Congrats!

16. Faz Mar 15, 2017

Oh.. should have mentioned I quit looking when I saw the prices asked...:eek: