Forums Latest Members

Something Nice Just Finished...... Brownish Dial Old Speedy.......

1. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 4, 2013

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

Not a bad price either.

Makes me wonder if there is something about the Scandinavian air that is particularly good for dials, or is it just that Scandinavians tend to take better care of their watches ?

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

I wonder if the cold and indoor heating results in low humidity or something

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

Not a bad price - needs new subdial hands and the correct bezel - think though that the dial has water damage rather than the brownish aging of some of these.

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 4, 2013

i had the seller take a close up of the dial. it is a very nice brown original dial. his ebay pictures did not show the condition at all..... kind regards. achim .... for the other things: i have them in my stock. and i`d happily give the correct dial for this brown 2915 dial ! and to prevent a glut of emails: no, we do not sell 321 parts ! we need them urgently for our restorations.

6. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

It did look like it could be a 2915 dial from the photos but couldn't be sure without closer ones. I have the other parts in stock too and like you won't be selling them either! I think the lesson to be learned here is we should be searching local ebay sites like ebay.au where Achim found this and ebay germany and ebay.uk as well. Another site that needs to be searched closely is the ebay owned tradera in sweden where sometimes nice watches that are well preserved are seen.

7. Buck2466 Mar 4, 2013

I lost out in the last seconds on this watch. I knew the bezel was wrong, but thought that I could find a correct one eventually. This would have been my first Vintage Speedy! I was able to expand the pictures on my Ipad and was able to zoom in pretty close on the dial. I came to the conclusion that the dial was from an earlier model and wasn't original to that model. The model previous (2998-3) to the one for sale (2998-4) was the last Speedy model to use that dial according to all the research I've done. I was going to start a thread on here about this watch to see if the experts on here could back up my hunches and came across this thread. After reading the responses, I feel pretty good about my assessment of the watch, which is due to listening to all of the Speedy experts on here, plus my exhaustive research. The search continues!!

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 4, 2013

The 2915 dial is different than the 2998-1 and -2 dials and this one looks like a 2915 dial. That dial alone is worth the whole price of the watch.

watchyouwant likes this.
  9. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 6, 2013

yep, it is a 2915 dial and probably an early one! Lovely. Only to get the right case, caseback, hands and 15.xxx.xxx could become a lifetime duty ;)

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Can you explain the differences further or point me to a resource that does?

11. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 6, 2013

Hey, you are an experienced collector! It works like this game for kids called: Can you find the differences in those two pics ;)

It is how any successful collecting of things, no matter if it is cars, instruments, stamps or watches works.The more intensiv you pay attention to every little detail and compare an item in the market with references in which you trust, the more precise you can evaluate what is correct and what not. Take pics of different dials and just look at them again and again and you will find more and more details that are slightly different:

- shape of the dial (what kind of step)
    - diameter, depth and prints of the totalisators
    - shape, size distance of any print on the dial
    - quality of the prints and the varnish of the dial
    - distance between symbol, index and prints
    etc. etc.

This is the secret of it all. Do it the same with cases, casebacks, pushers, hands, movements, bracelets, endlinks and you will have the perfect eye wether a specific watch is all correct or not :)
    The interesting thing about all of that is, that there are always things that you are not yet aware of and find out one day or that you are aware of but remains unclear in interpretation.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Lou,
    Here are 2 nice pictures of a 2915 and early 2998 dial respectively. Main differences are in fonts of "omega speedmaster" and length of marks in minute subdial. Pictures from the web.

2915:

[​IMG]

2998-1

Speedmaster.jpg

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. First pic didn't show, but I can easily find some for comparison now that I know where to look - much appreciated.

14. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 6, 2013

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Chuck pretty much grouped together the 2915 and early 2998 dials and that's incorrect - there are differences between these dials. There are a few 2915s that I have seen that have been claimed to have original dials but I do not agree with that because to me, the correct 2915 has some specific features that the later dials (even the early 2998 ones) do not have. The most common being that the 2915 came with original stepped dials which IMO they did not - the 2915s and the early 2998 speedmasters had domed and not stepped dials.

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Ok Lou corrected the post and both images are showing now.

17. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 6, 2013

So Mike what you are saying is that
    the info on that page isn't incorrect,
    it's just that he maybe should have had
    a dial plate style section to differentiate.
    Not trying to be argumentative, just,
    for my own reference in the future, I don't
    want to be referencing bad information.
    So this really is a question-

18. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Really more like incomplete as there are variations between say the 2915 and 2998 and variants among the different 2998 case references. Chuck's page that you linked to though is a good starting point but does not cover some details (nor does it claim to cover all these nuances also).

19. Buck2466 Mar 6, 2013

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 6, 2013

Yes that's a great page, we've posted here before, but I don't remember under which Speedmaster thread.