Forums Latest Members
  1. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

2. ulackfocus Nov 16, 2012

The lume is flaking out. It happens.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Not too big a problem to fix as long as the buyer is not too annal.

4. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member ulackfocus

The seller should at least have some decency to point this out and not wait for the potential buyer to discover it.

Thank-you.

5. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela

It will be difficult to match the patina found on the hour-markers for now and also, some years down the track. Most likely, tritium is no longer available or allowed to be used.

Thank-you.

6. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 16, 2012

Hi Harris

Your Watchmaker should be able to help you achieve a close match using a non-lume filler....personally I would take this as a good sign of a nice original watch....although the case on that example could do with some TLC and the date wheel has been replaced at some point (hopefully as part of a service).

Best - Neil

7. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member flame

Unfortunately I belong to the old school of thought. It is either factory-original or nothing at all. I understand, not easy to find a diver watch to be factory-original, though.

Thank-you.

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Seamonster, I understand your feelings on the hands here, and I would not try to dissuade you. However, I would suggest that you consider whether this type of watch or even the big triangle you admire, is the type of watch for you. Even if you find a perfect one, it is quite likely that any bump or even just the ravages of time could cause the lume, whether tritium or radium, to dislodge at some in the not too distant future time. I fear you seek too much in the perfection we all appreciate and will ultimately be disappointed.

9. MyVintageOmega Nov 16, 2012

What's up with this bottom right screw....has the movement been replaced due to water damge?? The screw seems to match the Omega symbol on the dial and no lume in the hands............was there a flood we are unaware of.............I'd pass! [​IMG]

10. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member cicindela

Your sound advice is appreciated. I may have to think all over again, regarding my attempt to get a 'perfect' diver watch.
    More than likely, it will be easier to get a dress watch that comes close to my specifications. Some of the Constellations on the market now appear to be just what I want. Unfortunately, the better ones do still have minor flaws, like an over-polished case, just to mention one.

Meanwhile the hunt is still on, till the white flag is raised.

Thank-you.

11. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 16, 2012

Respectable Member MyVintageOmega

The fact the missing lume was not pointed out by the seller, brings his integrity into question. Everything about the watch is being described as good. The no good, we have to discover - self-service, at its best.

No regrets bringing potential candidates to the attention of respectable forum members.

Thank-you.

MyVintageOmega likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2012

I wouldn't be too fussed over the lume, its not an uncommon thing, especially for divers of this era, and although you'd rather fully original, as Neil said above, you can use non-luminous material to get it back the way it should look, and when I say that, I mean it really will look perfect. Its not like dials how refinishing kills the value, or bezels where you know when they're replaced or re-done, hands with degraded lume are really an easy fix that once done is spot on. Most sellers on a piece like this will just let you see from photos that and make the call yourself, so its not out of the bounds of what is expected.

13. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 16, 2012

What makes you think this has been replaced?

14. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 17, 2012

Hi

Originally would have been black numbering on a white wheel....

Best - Neil

15. MyVintageOmega Nov 17, 2012

Good example.....notice how 120 is not marked on this dial as there is more than one variation.[​IMG]

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 17, 2012

Interesting, I assumed white on black would have been correct for this type 120 as it is for a 166.024 300.

17. flame Speedmaster Neil Nov 17, 2012

Hi

166.024 would also have been black numbering on a white wheel....however as they are prone to wear , tear & damage are often replaced at Service with the white on black version (still correct , but just a later replacement).

Best - Neil

18. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 17, 2012

Different market different date?

300advert.JPG

dsio likes this.