omarcastell likes this.
  2. sulaco Aug 28, 2013

i already wondered why this didnt show up here
    Seems like the watch saved the owner from a pretty bad scar

Dablitzer likes this.
  3. Dablitzer Aug 28, 2013

That is one deep cut! :eek:

4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 28, 2013

7k isn't a bad price if hopefully the work required is less than 2K. Seeing how there is corrosion on the outercase I can only imagine it sitting there for 50 years just eating the case threading and other parts. Servicing is going to be one big project.

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

If the cut can be fixed and the movement cleans up then it's a $10k watch.

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 28, 2013

No doubt. I had some quotes put into effect by supplying the photos and a few places said it could be 500 to many thousand if they have to completely redo the case...worth a gamble maybe but possible headache? I dunno.... gluck to the winner.

7. cvalue13 Aug 28, 2013

Aaaaaaaand, it's gone.

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 28, 2013

As far as gambles go, this isn't a bad one - it's probably a 2998-3 or -4 from the looks of it.

9. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 28, 2013

Lousy pics but looked pretty Correct. For European buyers to expensive with the extra costs of shipping and taxes...
    and yes, I would also bet on a -3

10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 28, 2013

-2 or -3 was my bet also. i did go up to $ 4750. too many loose ends with this example. now i`m quite o.k. with it; got 2 other 321 yesterday . all 3 would have stretched the reserves a bit too much.... kind regards. achim

11. NiklasARvid Aug 29, 2013

I was in to $5800... seemed like a genuine first owner nice "little old lady"-watch... a couple things bothered me though:
    1. the case was reeeally trashed.... laser welding can only do so much...
    2. no omega symbol on crown? the story was that the husband had (ab)used it for a short time until band broke and then it was stored, which seemed very consistent with excellent hands and dial (probably great!) but not with the crown being replaced? or can you wear off the omega symbol completely in such a short time? doing what? without ripping pushers off? unlikely? any thoughts?
    3. no movement shot, very unlikely given the (probably true) story, BUT, if movement is wrong its just a bunch of parts worth half of the winning bid? and the "unknowing little old lady"-card will be played by seller...

but probably more than 95% chance of everything being ok, but there will be others... ;-)

[​IMG]

12. richardew Aug 29, 2013

Those were little old lady photos. I believe the story. The case on that watch is rough. The crystal may be signed. Photographing the Omega in the crystal is a bit tricky and beyond the sellers photographic capabilities. She spent 5 minutes taking those "photos". It's a -3 or a -4. The dial is not from a -1 or a -2. The -5 would have stick subdial hands. I think the price is a bit high though, but then again, 2998s aren't usually cheap.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 29, 2013

Well I did not like it at all, let alone for that money.

No movement shots, or reference confirmation - though that often wakes my inteest, this one didnt as the watch clearly has been opened in the past, and serviced by someone who for whatever reason accepts that crown. Indicating that they are happy to cut corners and make do......and what else have they done?

A case that will never be anything other than badly damaged...

No, I am afraid this is a lemon to me.

I would love to be proved wrong, and hear from the buyer.

14. richardew Aug 29, 2013

Has the replacement crown always been an Omega signed one? I am a bit biased. My "horse timer" looked like this when I got it.
    1.7.12 _16321 beginning.jpg

The movement was, is pristine!

7.16.13_25a... my 321s....jpg

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 29, 2013

That is a fair point, and you know I have a soft spot for your horse timer. I did not notice the unsigned crown until now.

However your watch's previous ownership was more believeable in my opinion. And also your watch was in use up until the owners passing - and for timing so presumably the owner made sure it worked.

You also paid a price that, provided the movement existed, was a fair price even for parts.Okay a bit more, but it was a recoverable amount.

The $7000 2998 under discussion has severe case damage. I like patinated, even damaged watches, very much. I enjoy the feeling of history and also the sheer usability of a rare watch that I can wear without fear of damaging its value further.

I think there is no question that it should become a valued and wearable watch. However I doubt from a financial point of view, it has been worth it.

As a 2998 NON base 1000, I do not see its value as high as $10,000 at this moment in time - not from me anyway, and thats before we take into account the case damage. If that can be repaired without trace I would be very interested to know about it!

Once again, nice to the horse timer again!

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 29, 2013

Collectors who have a special concentration on early speedmasters will have parts - cases, dials, bezels, movement parts or entire spare 321 movements, etc. I would not be surprised in the least if the buyer had a spare case in better shape lying around to use with this watch and if that were the case then the price looks a lot more attractive.

17. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 29, 2013

I agree, that if 2998's of this spec can attain $10,000 you are right.

Several 2998 cases that would have suited this watch (i.e a non -1) have sold (in last two years) for $2000-2500, so then the new owner has a cost of $9500 plus service...

I would love to know if one of "us" bought it to know how it turns out!

My valuations do tend to rise and fall with my mood.

18. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 29, 2013

Maybe someone already had a case and waiting for a movement. I mean if you found a case cheap for like 1k and this came around your heart would be racing. Maybe the maintenance is a simple routine fix. That or he has a buddy by the name of Cyclops that can weld that baby together.

19. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 29, 2013

Just got notice top bidder did not go through with shipping method and seller will relist

20. richardew Aug 29, 2013

How'd you get the notice. I'm still showing it as sold