Forums Latest Members
  1. Buck2466 Feb 20, 2013

I was doing an advanced search on the Bay and came across this. I don't know if anyone else saw this because it sold in 52 seconds. The story is it was their father's and he passed away and they needed the money for the burial and didn't know much about the watch. The pictures are terrible, but anybody that knows Speedies can tell what it is. It looks like a 2998-2 with the Lollipop hand and it had a starting price of $200 and BIN of $350. No wonder it went in 52 seconds! Whoever bought couldn't press the BIN button fast enough. lol. I'm sure he had no problem risking $350 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Omega-Speedmaster-Watch-/251214500710?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3a7d8d1366&nma=true&si=8%2Fys5PgL510Khw%2Flu8IFQUEHaSk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

$(KGrHqZ,!loFDQsNojg+BQ9bIEHB2g~~60_12.JPG

2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 20, 2013

Wow...if that's the real thing, what a deal! I recently missed what looked like a solid 14k Omega DeVille for $40. I clicked buy it now and even went through with the payment, but unfortunately the seller refunded me and told me that he accidentally listed it twice! :(

3. Buck2466 Feb 20, 2013

Yeah, if it's the real deal, then someone was at the right place at the right time! Dumb luck!:rolleyes:

4. Littleroger Feb 21, 2013

Well it may just be me but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did that. A bargain is one thing but ripping someone off is something different.

A friend of mine was in a jeweller's the other day when an old man came in. He needed cash. The salesman hummed and harred and eventually offered €3000. The old man couldn't believe his luck and left happy.

Only thing is, my friend said that after he had left, the salesman laughed with glee that he could sell the Patek for up to €50,000.

Once again it may be me, but I hope the salesman will never be able to sleep again!

jimmyd13 likes this.
  5. Wheels Feb 21, 2013

I don't think anyone was ripped off here. The seller listed it at a price, the buyer bought it at that price. Everybody won, the seller got what he wanted for the watch and the buyer got a good deal. The Patek deal, different story.

6. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 21, 2013

If this Lolipop 2998 was all correct, what it looks like, it was worth around 10k Euro! In this case the price of 350 USD is no fair deal, no doubt.
    In my country this contract would be seen as a so called agreement contra bonos mores, because the vendor did obviously have not the expertise to recognize the value of the offered good.

The other question is, who bought the watch? WIth this price, even a complete no-expert might have pulled the trigger, thinking he got a 2k USD watch for 350 bucks :D

I like the feedback the buyer gave the seller : "Great ebayer. Fast delivery." :taunt:

7. Steve Feb 21, 2013

Thats why we have forums like this, so people can research the true value of a watch.. whether you are buying or selling.

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2013

Damn, I actually sent the seller a message telling him to cancel it as it was too cheap then realised it was January 15 and the deal has been done =(

T5AUS likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 21, 2013

Feed back was received for the watch, may have actually happened.

10. JulienLeBreton Feb 21, 2013

Hi guys, on the first photo there's another watch in the background any idea?
    Maybe i will look for this seller, he may sell other jems in the future...

2 weeks ago, I nearly bought a genuine Omega 8192 beta 21 for 50 euros, but 5 minutes later, she call me back since her husband already sold it 1 minute before my call
    I was very cross...::censored::

11. MellyVinelli Feb 21, 2013

From the photos it almost seems like it has the telemeter bezel on it rather than the tachy base 1000.

No doubt a steal nonetheless even for just the lollipop hand alone lol.

12. Buck2466 Feb 21, 2013

Who ever it was that bought this, probably had a good idea what they were looking at. I looked at the buyer's recent bid activity and they are all for watches or pocketwatches. This guy just happend to stumble upon a diamond in the rough if everything is original. Even if not original, parting it out would bring a lot of money. I feel bad for the seller for not getting a fair value if they would have done a little research, but that is the world we live in. I wonder if the buyer bought it for his collection or if he will try and turn it for a big fat profit if it turns out to really be what it appears to be.

13. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 22, 2013

No, it is the correct BASE 1000 bezel ::money::
    only it is not fitted in the right way

14. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 22, 2013

It's an interesting moral dilemma - whether to bid & buy, to contact seller and offer a more appropriate price, just tell the seller to increase the price, or walk away knowing someone will rip the guy off without him knowing it.

Given it was for funeral expenses of the original owner, would anyone even consider selling it for the vendor & helping him get a better price (with or without a %-age) ?

I think Ash did the right thing, just a shame it wasn't in time.

Lex4TDI4Life and Littleroger like this.
  15. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 22, 2013

There comes to my mind the crazy case from 2 years ago where an old persian carpet was priced in an auction with 900 EUR, then went for 19.000 EUR to a buyer who brought it to christies where it fetched 7,2 million EUR! :confused:
    here is the whole story inculding the trial of the original owner who sued the first auctionator:
    http://www.thelocal.de/national/20120127-40381.html#.USeMljdS58F

16. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Feb 24, 2013

Interesting story (about the rug). The watch is indeed a moral dillemma but this seller did not do anything to come to a valuation I'm afraid.

17. chiko7734 Feb 24, 2013

This whole thing reminds me of the story of a neighbor of mine. He is a collector of antiques and he went to an estate sale with his girlfriend. They saw a painting priced at 10k and they bought it, because they knew a bit about it, for example it was done by Samuel Morse, the inventor of Morse Code. They bought it and it was appraised at around 1.2 million I believe.
    http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/news/916741-196/story.html
    This article was written before they had it authenticated and appraised. I think they are bringing it to an auction house, but I'm not sure when they plan on doing it.

18. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 24, 2013

The whole point of eBay is that you can auction it and get fair price. Sure, the need for money might have been urgent, but if he had put it on even a 3 day auction, he would have got much closer to fair value. That is the whole point of an auction!

19. NiklasARvid Feb 25, 2013

I am thinking something must be wrong, it takes about 1/100 of the time to make the listing, to type "speedmaster" in the exact same site search function to get some estimate... ;-)