Forums Latest Members
  1. Henneth Jan 2, 2018

Hi there

As this is my first post i want to shortly introduce myself. I am a watch enthusiast from Switzerland in my mid thirties. I never was that much into vintage watches but after I recently met with a good friend of mine who showed me his newly bought Rolex Oyster Bubble Bag from the 60s, I got infected with the vintage virus. Even though Rolex is a nice brand, I much more prefer Omega based on the history. After doing some research and reading online, I finally ended up on omegaforums and was kind of impressed by the immense knowledge around here. The "learn how to fish thread"-thread in particular was a great read. Im not set on a specific model yet, but the first vintage omega I am going to buy should be, of course, as original as possible. Even though I might end up buying one from the private sales forum here I kind of like the idea of "hunting one down" on eBay myself. So below you find some watches I'd like to get a second opinion on:

Watch 1: Omega Seamaster CAL 565 REF REF 166.067
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Rare-Vintag...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dial and hands look good to me, but the case looks polished, so kind of fishy?!

Watch 2: Omega Seamaster
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/OMEGA-SEAMA...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The caseback belongs to an omega Geneve from the 1972 collection which should have a Cal 613. Based on the movement number the cal 601 is from 1965 belonging to a Seamaster 600 or De Ville. So a really bad Frankenwatch, right?

Watch 3: Omega Seamaster Calendar CAL503 REF 2849
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Omega-Autom...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one looks solid to me. However, based on the rather bad pics, the dial looks pretty fresh and might be refined? If its not, how would you value that watch?

Watch 4: Omega Constellation CAL551 REF14381
    http://www.ebay.de/itm/1961-GENTS-S...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one looks alright to me, but the crown seems to be wrong. I really like the Patina. How would you value that watch?

Watch 5: Omega Seamaster Cal 471 REF CK 14773
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Vintage-Ome...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one looks alright to me, even the crown seems to be right. Again I really like the Patina. How would you value that watch?

Watch 6: Omega Seamaster CAL591 REF14704
    https://www.ricardo.ch/kaufen/uhren...rare-omega-seamaster-automatic/v/an962548672/
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This one looks alright to me. Don't know about the dial condition if it is just dirt or patinated?! Again how would you value that watch?

Edited Jan 2, 2018
    mikechi22 likes this.
  2. Edantony Jan 2, 2018

Hi there,
    You seem to have done your homework. An indication of pricing could help us provide more feedback.

Im not an expert, but as far as aesthetics, I would try to find a very clean dial on my first vintage pruchase. My question to you is whih one do you find most aesthetically pleasing?

Henneth likes this.
  3. fjf Jan 2, 2018

1-Yes
    2-Dont like that dial. I vote redial.
    3-I like this one, looks correct to me.
    4-That one is where patina can be called "damaged dial". However, if you like it...
    5-The dial has (again) too much patina (except if you like it, of course). The movement has a broken piece in the adjustement of the timing on top of the balance (dont know the english name).
    6-The dial is just dirty, and the movement has different color parts, indicating that is a "put together" frankenmovement.

Boy, that's a lot of work for free!!. Anyway, everything comes down to price and your taste. If you like one of them AND is cheap enough...
    IMO, #1 is a nice wearer with a nice size (36mm or so) although too polished, and #3 is a nice and correct seamaster. The others are more like that rotten fish the swedish eat. You have to be swedish to like it.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 2, 2018

Depends on prices... but 1 is the best of the bunch.

5. jakeh417 Jan 2, 2018

Watch #1 was an eBay auction sold for $1014.56

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292385058148Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. Noddyman Jan 2, 2018

Watch #1 or #3 would be my pick.
    #2 is a complete dog.
    #4 has a nice case and original crown but way too much patina/dial damage for me.
    #5 & #6 again too much patina and both have ropey looking movements.

Edited Jan 2, 2018
    Henneth likes this.
  7. Henneth Jan 2, 2018

Thanks for the replies so far. They are all auctions. I added the links in the original post which I somehow messed up in the first place. ;)
    I kind of like the patinated ones, especially Nr. 5. But thats probably just my weird personal taste. I'd still prefer a perfectly clean dial though if possible / affordable. Watch Nr.3 would indeed be me pick, but I don't know if I can live with the golden dials as I am more a silver guy. Furthermore I prefer structured dials like honeycomb or linen. Something like this (which is probably ridiculously overpriced...):
    https://www.chrono24.ch/omega/seama...eel-automatic-watch-linen-dial--id7366045.htm
    My current budget is around 600-1000 Dollars. Do you think I can get something similar?

8. Edantony Jan 2, 2018

For that budget you'll fond something fine. Just wait and see what comes up here on Omega Forum, or try your luck over at Coin des Affaires

9. TNTwatch Jan 2, 2018

Watch #1 has incorrect auto bridge (aka. franken) and rusty screws and clamps, not worth near the sold price.

STANDY likes this.
  10. Kja Jan 2, 2018

I like the constellation dial! It looks kissed by the sun, and the case and movement look great to me.

11. Caliber561 Jan 2, 2018

I think watch 1 may be a franken. The dial is nearly spotless. However, the movement shows signs of oxidation and it also has residue which looks like rust. The case has also been thoroughly polished, so at the very least number 1 is a salvaged watch with a replaced dial.

12. mario linus Jan 3, 2018

1. nice
    2. redial
    3. very nice
    4. nice
    5. very nice (I like this kind of patina)
    6. ugly

13. numero27 Jan 3, 2018

I really like the #1

14. Edward53 Jan 3, 2018

+1 to all that, except that I don't get why anybody likes watch 1 which IMO is an old dog.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  15. 1jansen Jan 3, 2018

Hi Henneth, I would vote for watch #3. It's
    a good collectable item for beginners.
    If one day, you are fed up with gold indexes, you can resell it easily for such a quality item.
    Hope it helps you to make the decision for your first vintage Omega.
    Best of luck.

16. TNTwatch Jan 3, 2018

It's a franken and it's hard to look pass the flashy skin-deep... ;)

Henneth likes this.
  17. kreyke Jan 3, 2018

I think number 3 is the best of the bunch. Now it all boils down to the price. Are the hands empty or it has been relumed white?

18. SuperHero Jan 3, 2018

#1 is #1. Love it. #2 for me is #5, another winner but #1 is the one.

19. shawnc9 Jan 3, 2018

Another vote for 3. For #1, the spotless dial and hands seems to have aged differently from the movement. And I simply cannot ignore the changed rotor on the movement. Not a fan of patinas, so the others are not for me.

20. Sherbie Jan 3, 2018

I like #3 also, but it too has issues to resolve - at some stage the rotor has rubbed/ is rubbing against the case back