Forums Latest Members

Some Time Ago - Classic And Collectible Watches

1. iver aldas Apr 29, 2013

Hi Gents! Greetings! Please feel free to move this thread if found not in the right location.
    I have stumbled on this site while looking for vintage chronographs and I've seen this ad here of a vintage Omega Seamaster cal.552. The watch looks decent to me and most especially the prices are catchy. But I smell something fishy, it seems that the site doesn't give more info about the seller or the company, it's just asking you to register. So I would like to ask if you guys are familiar with this site? Has anyone here tried purchasing from them? Is this legit? Please advise. All your insights are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. ulackfocus Apr 29, 2013

Not familiar with that site, but that looks like a relatively legit 14.700 Seamaster. The crown is a replacement, but a valuable decagon style from a Constellation that if sold on eBay would net you enough money to buy a correct scalloped crown with plenty left over. The S in Seamaster is the correct font for the era, and the serial number relates to late 1959 / early 1960.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 29, 2013

I'm familiar with STA. Based in Holland, with sister sites in Germany and Sweden. Haven't looked at it in years, as their website tended to make my old computer crash. From what I remember they are a lower-grade Chrono24. That is many of the members are Europe-based watch dealers, but the prices are generally very fair. There are far fewer over-priced and over-restored pieces of dreck than at Chrono24.

Also, quite a few top notch pieces on the "Private Collection" section.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

4. iver aldas Apr 29, 2013

Thanks for all the insights Dennis and gatorcpa! Will think of it once more or might consider buying in forums instead. Have a great day!