Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 27, 2016

On my travels, both real and virtual, I always keep a look out for Speedmasters. As time goes by these are becoming increasingly hard to find, and along the way my eye is caught by pretty Omegas. As I know NOTHING about them, I restricted my spending to what I could afford to loose. I don't like loosing anything, but I also know that I get huge satisfaction from hunting - and coming home with nothing doesn't feel right.

So over the years I have found some pretty little watches. While I always buy thinking, "I could sell this...." I very rarely do. First I do not like selling anything unless I need to pay school fees/hospital bills etc, but secondly I cant sell them. Why? In UK if you sell three watches in a year you are considered a trader and you must include all proceeds in your Tax Retrurn - and pay tax on the profit, and if you have no documented cost then you pay on the entire sale amount.

So before I go off on a whinge, here are some watches.

This first one I found on ebay, and it was I was very green. I was enamored with the brown dial - I did not notice the (ironically green) rot :

P8020020.jpg
    I wore it proudly into town for a dinner. In the bathroom the hand- dryer blew the crystal off....After a few attempts to fit a generic crystal I sent it to STS who gave it a full service and new crystal, for what seems like a very reasonable price. (Though more than the initial $200 cost).

This one came from the USA. One of the hands was floating in the case. I put it back on and it, er, works...
    P8020008.jpg

Its a snap back 14k case, and I have not worn it - it was very cheap.

Here is a very cheap watch sold in a group of three by quite a well known ebay seller. He had put start bids on that seemed to put off any bidders. I was the only bidder at (If I recall) $300 or so - Now for all I know thats what it is worth:

P8020005.jpg
    (I think the dial might be redone)

Now the most expensive one - another single ebay bid, and bought because someone on OF here said, dont buy the OP watch, buy this one - I gave the poster two days, no one bid on it so I did. ($800).

P8020015.jpg

Dial has damage, but many seem too.

Now we go onto the weird colours:

From another forum member - as I recall from Asia: P8020013.jpg

And another:

P8020016.jpg

Finally my latest from the bay, Vienna.
    It doesnt work, but frankly I don't care - the inside looks clean and I sure a service will fix it:

P8020018.jpg

Lets see those colours together:

P8020023.jpg

If you like this post, then why not start a watch thread?

Threads with watches in are thin on the ground at the moment, and I want to see yours...

No watch too small or unimportant, if it has a meaning for you...tell us!

2. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jul 27, 2016

Love the date at 6 seamaster
    What did that one go for if you don't mind me asking.
    Oh and I think your right - the earlier seamaster is a redial - but looks good all the same.

3. Mods I'm not really an ΩF mod but I play one on TV Jul 27, 2016

Oh It was sub $1000 - thanks

4. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Jul 27, 2016

You're extra taxed and regulated in the UK if you sell more than 3 watches a year?? (Restraining myself from making 'political' comments) :confused::confused::confused:

Great old omegas, btw, redials or not. Reminds me why my love for vintage omegas will never go away. :thumbsup:

Edit: to the OP, this could be another great 'show us' thread, just like the vintage constellations and the vintage rolexes threads that have had so much good traction lately. Consider tweaking the thread title to perhaps "your vintage sub1k seamasters, show them" or some such. :)

Edited Jul 27, 2016
  5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 27, 2016

For USA tax purposes it is important to know the difference between a watch collector and a watch investor.

In that regard, I wish the entire world to know that I am a WATCH INVESTOR.

6. mozambique Jul 27, 2016

SF,
    Never mind. I am SURE the 3-watch tax rule HAS to be a silly EU directive thing. Now that the UK is going it alone, I am sure you will be free to trade watches at will, the economy will return to British empire-like proportions and BBC will start showing re-runs of the Benny hill show every hour.
    Alternatively.....................:)

Fattony likes this.
  7. mozambique Jul 27, 2016

btw love the sub-$1k dial colours!

8. smitty190373 Jul 27, 2016

That made me laugh!

Lovely watches...Bravo.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 27, 2016

Nice finds! Lots of nice cool Omegas can be found under the $1000 range which is why I like collecting them. :)

_MG_6329.JPG
    IMG_5223.JPG

aap, PaulC77, rollingrevolver and 9 others like this.
  10. micampe Jul 27, 2016

My first purchase on the forum fits the bill.

IMG_4186.JPG
  11. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 27, 2016

"I wore it proudly into town for a dinner. In the bathroom the hand- dryer blew the crystal off."

I think William's collection would benefit by more frequent trips to the barber.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 27, 2016

Ah, childhood memories of boobies on tv...

13. rcs914 Jul 27, 2016

I'm just curious - do you mind explaining this a bit further? I did some googling to see if I could find anything, but I came up dry.

14. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 27, 2016

Over here if you are in s position to be taxed for a profit, you are also entitled to a tax deduction if you loose.
    Now..... Let's see which ones I bought too late on a Saturday night.....
    :eek:

Alpha and Fattony like this.
  15. mac_omega Jul 27, 2016

I think you are too optimistic on that!

This is for sure not an EU directive but regulated by the goverment of the countries themselves. We have a similar but not so serious regulation here.
    You are of course entitled to sell what ever you like as long as it does not seem to be a business...

16. flame Speedmaster Neil Jul 27, 2016

Hi

Try these....all Sub $1k USD....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

probably sub $500 :)

[​IMG]

Best - Neil

Longbow, peatnick, boat2dan and 10 others like this.
  17. cnjackson Jul 27, 2016

That first one is really beautiful! I really like it!

18. Speedmasterfan88 Jul 27, 2016

Sub 1k seamasters are great fun, and a good way to get Started and gather some experience in the vintge watch World. Some I owned over the last two years:

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 27, 2016

These are my least expensive aquisitions as they were basically FREE. Attached to a vintage bracelet needed for another member of the herd. Don't really know too much about them

image.jpeg

Edited Apr 15, 2018
    Tritium, Spacefruit, PaulC77 and 4 others like this.
  20. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 27, 2016

600 calibre...... made in my birthyear.... cheap...... cruddy redial but what the hell...... its my Seamonster..... its got a little seamonster badge on the back..... and its even got holes in the band! whats not to love!

P1010025.JPG