Forums Latest Members

Some Seamasters and an amateur new build diver

1. ChrisN Jan 9, 2016

Continuing on with some amateur watch work...

It seems I am mainly collecting Seamasters:). I like the various styles of these and they're generally still in the affordable range. Here a few that I have.
    1 Seamasters.jpg

There are two non Vintage new build interlopers in there and the obvious one is the SM300 which I built a couple of years ago. I like the style of these and can wear it ever day without concern. I'm sure everyone has realised but these have jumped dramatically in price in the last year or so (and won't be getting any cheaper) with a complete case now close to $2000. Adding on hands, dial, movement etc and they're not cheap. I know these modern builds are not everyone's cup of tea so stop here, if that's the case.

Last year, I built my wife this little franken Seamaster from parts and was lucky that the stars aligned to get everything at the same time. These are a bit difficult to source in this colour and it is the colour for her so she was really pleased. Forgot to include it in the above picture...
    2 SM60.jpg

Anyway, have missed out on a couple of these style original SM60s in men's size, in blue and red, mainly due to my own indecision::facepalm2::. So, when I saw a Deep Blue case locally, thought I'd pick it up. Missing a crystal but at a third of the price of an SM300 case seemed like not a bad deal. I've also been looking for an original one of these 166.0073 models but, indecision (and price) meant I haven't got there yet.

As received, looked not too bad. Not packaged and has suffered some light marks due to long term storage.
    3 AR front.jpg

Seems like the apprentice used it to practice springbar removal... Ah well.
    4 AR back.jpg

I had a suitable 565 (serial 31459208) which looked not too bad although I had to rebush the barrel arbor in the bridge and change a few screws that were very ugly and marked. I have a fair secondhand parts bin for these - although even these are a bit marked. There's no blow by blow rebuild as there are loads of these on here. With quite a bit of work, it's now running close to chronometer spec in six positions which is not bad for an old non chronometer movement. Can usually get these just in but not this one. Resisted my best efforts! Not stunning amplitude at 270 Max either but this movement was not that well looked after. Beating nicely now, though:)
    5 Movement.jpg

Cousins came up with crystal, dial and hands (of course they limited me to one case clamp due to "Omega part restrictions" so, lucky I had a spare) and, although it's no original Tritium lume, I like it! Added a "No Decompression Limits" strap for a few Euros and its good to go. Can see those limits coming in useful at the work desk;)
    6 Front.jpg

Easily passed a 100m water resistance test and the back is nice.
    7 back.jpg

Dial lume appears to be C3 (next to that SM300).
    8 lume.jpg

I am inordinately pleased as although it's not an original, you can just wear it and I love the colour. Here checking the oil on my '63 E. Obviously, I always wear an Omega when checking oil...
    9 E.jpg

Yes, I am wearing an old tweed... It's gone a bit cold here after a springlike Christmas break!

Cheers, Chris

JimInOz, tamura, Giff2577 and 13 others like this.
  2. ChrisN Jan 9, 2016

Next project (not arrived yet) has one of these calibres:
    k6a.jpg

It's a mid fifties Smiths clock that should chime like Big Ben (okay, a little more tinny:p). It might drive me up the wall but it has a "Chime off" switch, luckily.

Sold as "working but stops" and this is my first clock (why start with anything simple...) so am sure I will be calling on the expertise of the real Watchmakers here for some advice. Reinforced gloves at the ready for spring removal!

Cheers, Chris

Garv likes this.