Forums Latest Members
  1. sulaco Mar 2, 2014

Some might remember my 105.003 i presented a while ago and how i tried to bring it back into "authentic" condition ;)
    I bought it as a first owner watch, but unfortunately the seller couldn´t remember if or when it undergone a severe
    revision in the end of the 60ties.
    As i proceeded in changing bezel, crown, dial to "authentic" specifications, i also did apply for an extract of record at Omega
    also in regard to the very high serial number starting with 260....

So here is what i received from Omega

[​IMG]

I immediatly did contact the seller again, who was also pretty surprised by that outcome.
    So what happened here?

Any wild guesses are welcome. ;)

On the positive side... Omega is still able to provide case reference for 321 movements :thumbsup:

Here and here are the other links to this watch

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 2, 2014

Interesting

It means the movement originally came in a seamaster
    like this: (borrowed photo)
    2348047.jpg

I expect this sort of thing to be common as swapping a movement is so easy i can do it.

I also hear stories from "old men" who used to work on Omegas, for Omega, in the UK many years ago, who said they didnt really care which movement went back in, as long as it was the same calibre. (they also said that case backs were swapped too.)

There is also evidence to suggest Omega themselves swapped entire movements on service, but I am talking over 30 years ago.

Still, it isnt nice news to get, just no surprise.

I dare not certify mine....!

3. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 2, 2014

It is still a very lovely watch. There is nothing really wrong with it, just had an engine swap ;)!
    I know, I know - always that little feeling in the gut, but then again it is a fully correct Omega 105.003.
    Like owning a Porsche 911 Turbo and finding that the engine does not have matching numbers. It is still one hell of a ride!
    :cool:

4. sulaco Mar 2, 2014

Yeah that was the one i googled too, still would be great to find out when the swap happened.
    I am thinking about calling the Omega store he bought it 50 years ago, they still exist today, maybe they have some documents left.
    Tried that once with my 145.012 as it was bought in 1969 in a store not far away from my hometown, they were really cooperative and
    interested but had no papers left.

5. sulaco Mar 2, 2014

Right you are, but still leaves a bad taste and if i really wouldn´t know that it is a watch from orginal first buyer, i would be really tempted to sell
    it again.
    +1 for the 911 Turbo whatever engine it houses it is a hell of a ride :thumbsup:

6. cristos71 Mar 2, 2014

I know exactly how you must feel, I had the same experience with a nice SM300 165024 cal 552.

When I received the extract from Omega I read it and re-read I think 3 or 4 times before finally the penny dropped...::facepalm2::

I still have the Extract but the watch is long gone!

7. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 2, 2014

Respectable Member cristos71

I would do, what you did.

Vintage-watch lovers and collectors are different from someone who bought an old or second-hand watch to be put on his wrist.

Thank you.

8. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 2, 2014

Respectable Member sulaco

I share and can feel your frustrations.

However, it is not the end of the world.

Thank you.

fjf likes this.
  9. Littleroger Mar 2, 2014

I suppose it's one of those things. Your head may tell you it really doesn't matter (which it doesn't) but if your heart tells you something different, it is hard to build up a good relationship with the timepiece. Life is too short to keep watches just don't do it for you.

Time Exposure likes this.
  10. sulaco Mar 2, 2014

That was also the reason i sold a Seamaster 120m/400ft Chronograph Ref 176.004 i once had, i also still have the extract at home ;)

11. sulaco Mar 2, 2014

Respectable Member Seamonster

thanks for your kind words, you are absolutely right.

12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 2, 2014

now the biggest problem is, that you have to mention it, when re-selling. and that will affect your loss..... take it completly apart and sell the 321 with extract;case middle;case back,crown,bezel,mvmt. ring and inner cover, hands and dial. all extra. sounds cruel, buit that will recoup youjr money. kind regards. achim

13. sulaco Mar 2, 2014

Considering the point that it didn´t cost me a fortune and also that it still has a reasonable background

14. sulaco Mar 2, 2014

That´s exactly why i opened this conversation Achim,... to get rid of the temptation to sell it without mentioning this little detail ;)
    When i sell it, it will be in parts, sad but true.

Georgieboy58 likes this.
  15. seamonster Respectable Member Mar 2, 2014

Respectable Member sulaco

I wish every luck and success.

However, the next time around when hunting for another vintage-watch be wary and God willing, you will be right. Most important of all is to get over it.

Thank you.

16. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 2, 2014

I've been here before. When it happens to me, I lose interest in the watch and sell it, usually at a loss. But the sum of the parts you have is still highly desireable, so whether you decide to keep or sell, I hope all works to your satisfaction and peace of mind.