Forums Latest Members

Some quick thoughts on frankenspeedy

1. Dablitzer Dec 10, 2013

I know from asking fellow members that this is suspicious and possibly a mix up of parts, wrong bezel, dial...etc but I quite like this bastardised thing...::facepalm2:: I know that may sound crazy, since I have never owned a vintage speedy. But I would like people's thoughts on this and if it's worth something in parts if I decided to buy as a daily beater.... Now go! :thumbsup:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Movement dates it 1967..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What's this worth for the sum of its parts? Or for a daily beater? Would I be able to find a correct dial and bezel?

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 11, 2013

I wouldn't call this a franken.

Parts are all omega, and where they do not exactly match our perceptions of what is right for a 145.012, it is entirely likely that the parts were fitted during service at a time when the owner / service agent did not care about the original factory spec.

The dial looks to me to be an original one from a 105.003. It has the non professional markings and the short T Swiss T. It is quite possible that it was fitted during an early service. The owner may even have asked for a non pro dial, thinking it more attractive. It may be that was the dial they had to hand. Remember dials are service items.

The bezel is a late 60's early 70's one.

You haven't shown the number so I cannot comment on that. Don't forget all the movement info available is not going to allow closer dating than plus or minus two years. I guess this one is around 27m?

A replacement dial will cost $400-800 but should be easily offset by the sale of your more desirable dial.
    A correct bezel will be the DO90 which will be $200-450 depending on condition.
    I wouldn't bother with the changing of these items, I think the watch is good.

Dablitzer likes this.
  3. Dablitzer Dec 11, 2013

I really appreciate the comments. I consider myself a newbie with these things and I don't want to make a wrong move if you no what I mean!

From a aesthetic point of you I really like the pre pro dial in the 105.012 case and the watch has just been serviced so it doesn't immediately show up any red flag s there.

These speedies are a minefield! :) I know it's not strictly original so I guess that's why I said franken, as it's usually a mix of different parts..but nevertheless I like it.

I thought it might make a good wearer and entry into the speedies without paying top price for one.

What kind of value would you put on it, please?

Edit: it's a 26 mil serial I think

4. Tritium Dec 11, 2013

I personally like how it looks, and if it comes at a reasonable price I would grab it for daily wearer.
    I would also consider to fit alpha hands on it. ::facepalm2::

Dablitzer likes this.
  5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 11, 2013

I'm guessing a little here but if it was offered at US$1.6k I would jump at it, when you go much above that you can probably get an all original early 70's or newer version in a pretty good condition. Having said that you may want to wait for the opinions of a few others.....I would generally ask for them when buying!

6. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 11, 2013

The bezel is a late 60's early 70's one.

I thought the bezels were the same from the early 70's (after DoN) up to the early 90's (when accented tachmetre as introduced)?
    I know this question has been raised endlessly but I also know your knowledge of these runs deep!

7. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 11, 2013

Yes, it does look good, I like the dial and general condition. If I saw it for sale at US$1.6k I would jump quick. I think it may be one of those that if a couple of people on the bay really wanted it could clear US$2.2k. Though I don't buy under my advice alone so I would not suggest you do, hopefully a few others will chime in....

8. Dablitzer Dec 11, 2013

Thanks Shaun, so you probably wouldn't pay much over $1,6k for this? Seems quite low considering I have seen the modern reduced sell for around that mark... Be interested to see what the dial alone would fetch. I guess it's worth the sum of its parts, but maybe not split up! :p

9. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 11, 2013

maybe I was conservative, and I have missed some pieces due to my fear of paying over the odds. I would not be surprised to see an all original 1967 would go for US$2,500 or more

10. Dablitzer Dec 11, 2013

It's better to be safe than sorry sometimes. This one is below market value by a bit. So it will be a small gamble..

11. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Dec 11, 2013

I've just realised this is a 321 my previous price guess was based on it being 861, this ups the value big time, I would say up $600 at least

12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 12, 2013

321 movements can fetch $1500 if running.
    145.012 cases....$400+
    A 105.003 dial....Easily 500+

It is rare to be able to buy any 321 speedy with "minor" issues like this for less than 2500-3000.

If on ebay, with good photos, and well prepared description, maybe more.

(Without issues and in good condition they are worth $3500-5000)

Dablitzer likes this.