Forums Latest Members

Some Questions Considering An Omega Automatic Geneve 1012

1. dwc Jun 16, 2013

Hello
    I'm about to buy this Omega. It seems in very good condition; very special green dial, good running condition.
    The current owner states that the bracelet was never used because the former owner (not the current) used a leather one. Because of the way the bracelet is attached I'm confused; not really a fine way to attach a leather bracelet.
    My question is, is this bracelet original to this particular model. If so, I'm okay, if not I will have a little behind-the-ear-scratching before making the final decision;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 16, 2013

The case looks a lot like that on my Cal 1012 but quite heavily polished. The Omega logo on the clasp of my bracelet does not have the square around it. 1012.jpg

3. ulackfocus Jun 16, 2013

Make that "very special green redial".

To answer your question, there are leather straps made to fit watches like that. Tough to find, and some are made custom so they're expensive.

4. dwc Jun 16, 2013

Okay, there is the first Flaw.
    I understand I might assume the bracelet was sold with the watch.
    Are you guys 100% sure this is a green REdial, and why? The owner states that this watch was acquired in Vietnam during the war there by a US soldier. Sofar I see no reason to judge this dial a non-original. But as im no expert in Omega (by far) I would like to have some arguments stating this is a redial. Was this watch never sold from Omega with a green dial?
    Is this green dial a non-original to this model, but original Omega? Or was this dial refinished in green?
    Finally, is a price of 350-400 USD justified?
    Thanks

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jun 16, 2013

It's not so much the green dial, as green and other colours including maroon and brown were produced on some Geneve models in the 1970s, but the quality of the lettering. The lettering should be very sharp and the minute indices are printed quite thin as in the example shown by StewartH. Only good high res, sharp pics will reveal it's story.

Cheers

Desmond

6. dwc Jun 16, 2013

Allright, thanks a lot
    Considering the story of the watch; bought in Vietnam in the 1970's and well used with a leather bracelet im thinking:
    -The watch looks clean but used, especially the brush topside
    -The bracelet looks as new compared to the wear on the brush topside; confirms the leather bracelet story
    -I would be the third owner; a US citizen for several decades after purchasing in Vietnam, the current owner (a collector), then me. Trusting the current owner and his description of the watch, I cant see a redial since purchasing (as I don't think the current owner refurbished the watch, and I think the first owner had been wearing it as a dress watch, without refurbishing)
    But that's purely the trust im getting out of my conversation with the current owner, and my thoughts, somehow sounds all fair

Wrapping this up: you guys think the bracelet might be original to this model, but a doubt on the dial?

7. ulackfocus Jun 16, 2013

Dials were frequently refinished when a watch was serviced - even if not requested by the owner. Nobody in the 70's was concerned with what a collector thought 30 or 40 years in the future. I hope it is original, but doubt it. Can't speak about the bracelet because they were often dealer options back then. It could have been bought later down the line at any time. Odds are better that the bracelet is original than that the dial has the original finish.