Forums Latest Members
  1. Menace Mar 4, 2013

I've just acquired a watch. Gifted to someone for long service in 1973. Its an omega automatic de ville. 10k f.g. bezel. S.s.back. the watch needs a full service and a new crystal. This piece has no sentimental value to me but I do find it neat as a vintage piece. Is it worth spending 200 bucks fixing this thing up? I'm thinking that 200 might be a lot seeings there's no original strap with it.
    What do you all think? I haven't found much info on the watch and haven't had the case cracked yet to check the serial but it doesn't seem like its a real valuable piece.
    Anything this watch might have that might add to its value that I should look for when I finally get the serial number?

Thanks

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2013

It would be helpful to post a couple photos, just the front and back for now.

3. Menace Mar 4, 2013

The front has all the markings it should have. Back is engraved with "25 years service 1973" with persons name, the company, etc. There are no omega markings on the back other than that 10 k gf and ss back that I mentioned above. It has the quick set date option.
    Don't mind the 40 years worth of grime and sweat between the crystal and the bezel.

IMG_20130301_165546.jpg
  4. Mathlar Mar 4, 2013

It looks like the gold filled version of my watch, probably reference LD 166.0033.

It should have a sturdy 565 calibre inside. You'd be able to tell by pulling the crown out - you'll probably find there are two positions. The 565 sets the time at the first position, and advances the date by a day (quickset) at the second.

The crystal is scratched up, but it still looks to have the same nice textured dial as mine:

devilledial.jpg

5. Mathlar Mar 4, 2013

On the other hand.. yours does look just slightly different. You might find the date works differently - that you can switch date forwards or backwards at crown position 1. That would indicate a 1012 calibre, and that you have the replacement for my watch; 166.0161.

The 1012 is a less desirable calibre; not as prettily decorated, although it's a higher beat rate.

Either way, your watch is a "unishell" meaning the back doesn't come off and the movement is accessed through the front. You'll need to get a watchmaker to take it apart to see the state of the movement.

6. Menace Mar 4, 2013

The picture of the stamping indicating 10k g.f. bezel s.s. back was taken through a magnifying glass with my phone. Probably won't be legible but it at least shows the placement of the markings. IMG_20130304_163549.jpg IMG_20130304_163158.jpg IMG_20130304_162648.jpg IMG_20130304_163129.jpg

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2013

The watch you have is essentially a Seamaster DE VILLE with a plain back. The same case design was used for the Seamaster (with AND without the monster back), Seamaster DE VILLE (with AND without the monster back) and the DE VILLE. Depending on what country the original owner resided this should have either a caliber 565, 24-jewels or 563, 17-jewels (US market). Both are fine movements and are exactly the same except for the jewel count.

Omega was at one time one of the largest suppliers of gift or retirement watches and made these plain back cases specifically for engraving.

The dial on your watch appears to be in good shape, an original dial is far more important than an original strap when it comes to value on these. Cleaned up I would say this should be a $300-$400 watch.

8. Menace Mar 4, 2013

Some further Info... Number on inside of back is 550153. Can't find ANYTHING on the Omega site for that number. Movement is 565 24 Jewel. The Serial Number is 33539979 which means it was made around 72 if I'm correct in the little info I have found.
    Here's another phone pic of the movement... sorry I know my phone doesn't have the clearest picture.....
    *EDIT* Thanks for the further info X350!

IMG_20130304_172348.jpg
  9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 4, 2013

There is more information NOT in the database than in it.

10. Menace Mar 4, 2013

Hah! doesn't surprise me! Unfortunately though this watch had been taken apart... crystal was loose.... can feel something shaking around inside when I shook it... so I popped it open with my finger-nail and yanked it apart (gently) for the pictures... now it's impossible to get the nob back on the stem when putting it back together... Oh well.... that's a job for the repair man/woman!

I dunno what's missing but there's NO WAY this watch will be water proof for a sprinkle of rain let alone 30 M. May end up not worth fixing in the end. Maybe if the movement pieces are in good enough shape the repair person will be willing to trade it for a cheaper watch and just keep it for parts. Who knows....