Forums Latest Members
  1. Ed_G Mar 29, 2012

Hi, my grandpa gave me an old Omega watch before he passed away. I have a couple of questions which I hope someone can help me with.

1) I'm curious about how old this watch is. Does anyone know? (I've attached some photos of the watch)

2) I'm planning to send this watch for servicing as it doesn't keep time very well. However, I'm not sure if I should do anything to the dial. I like the "old" feel that this watch has. I read a couple of articles on the merits of refinishing a vintage watch and I'm inclined to keep the dial the way it is. However, is it possible to do some simple cleaning of the dial without affecting the "old" nature of the watch? Not really sure what my options are.

3) Would you recommend sending the watch to Bienne for servicing? I've read that vintage watches that go to Bienne get the "spa" treatment and come back as good as new. Not really sure if that's the best option for my watch.

Thanks for your suggestions!

IMG_5124.JPG IMG_5133.JPG IMG_5129.JPG IMG_5131.JPG IMG_5130.JPG

2. ulackfocus Mar 29, 2012

Hi Ed. That's a nice watch. It's very late 50's or very early 60's. To be sure we'd have to see the inside - the movement has a serial number which will date the watch to the year it was produced.

Yes, the dial can clean up a little, but it won't ever look like new again because the finish is starting to bubble. Don't have it refinished though - it ruins the character, never looks exactly the same, and will hurt the value of the watch. Bienne will replace the dial with one that was made at a later date with different fonts. They also are VERY expensive. There are several watchmakers who can do a great job on your watch without charging an arm & a leg, about half as much as Bienne would run. We have a couple here: omega564 (Jesse) and N2FHL (Steve). Contact them by looking them up on our member's list and starting a conversation with them. If you need help finding them on the list, just say so and we'll give you their info.

3. Ed_G Mar 31, 2012

Hi ulackfocus, thanks for your suggestions.

I don't think I will have the dial refinished or replaced. I'll probably just send it for simple cleaning. Just wondering, how would a simple cleaning affect the current look of the watch? Would it still have the brownish / yellowish look that it currently has? Also, is there anything I can get the watchmaker to do to prevent further deterioration of the dial?

I think I might send my watch to an independent watchmaker. However, would watch servicing typically involve the replacement of parts? If so, would an independent watchmaker be able to obtain original Omega parts for the replacement?

I think some of the parts might need to be replaced. My watch generally works well from 12am to 10:40pm. However, once it hits 10:40pm and the date mechanism starts to move (i.e., when the date starts to change), the minute/hour hands stop. I know the watch is still working because the second hand continues to move. Once I adjust the time past 12am (such that the date moves on to the number), the watch will work well again. Not sure if any parts need to be changed in order to fix this problem, so I'm concerned whether an independent watchmaker would be able to obtain original Omega parts.

Thanks very much!

4. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2012

Yes, it should. The scratches and dings on the case can be mostly fixed though.

No, it's going to keep aging.

If parts are necessary, it shouldn't be hard to source them. That watch has a post-500 series full rotor caliber in it (meaning the automatic winding system has a flat rounded semi circular weight that spins a full 360˚) that parts are available for.

That might be cured with a cleaning and lubrication.

5. Ed_G Apr 1, 2012

Thanks ulackfocus! I'll send my watch to an independent watchmaker for servicing. Probably won't do anything to the dial at the moment.