Forums Latest Members
  1. omegary Apr 1, 2012

I've been collecting Omegas for nearly a decade now so I thought I'd share a few. There's rather a lot so let me know if there's any restrictions on number of pics per post. I'll start with the Speedmasters and add to the this thread with other models later.

Speedmasters
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes I realise the last two are Speedsonics but they were considered part of the Speedmaster line up in their time.

If anyone wants to know more about any of the watches just yell.

Cheers,
    Gary

gippo, Jwit, Taddyangle and 7 others like this.
  2. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2012

Just out of curiosity, why did you let the racing dial go?

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Apr 1, 2012

Awesome photos :thumbsup:

4. omegary Apr 1, 2012

I was unfortunately made redundant about 6 months ago now. At the time I had about 30 vintage Omegas sitting in a box and a small mortgage so the vast majority of the Omegas were sold to pay off the remains of my mortgage. Obviously the higher end pieces like the Speedmasters commanded the best prices so they went first. It was a tough decision to make but I'm glad I did it and I'm now completely debt free :). Just need to find a job now and hopefully I can build up the collection again.

Cheers,
    Gary

5. ulackfocus Apr 1, 2012

A smart and responsible move. Good luck in your job search!

6. omegary Apr 1, 2012

Thanks Trev, my passion for watches rekindled my interest in photography, the two make very good bed fellows imho.

Cheers,
    Gary

neilfrancis likes this.
  7. omegary Apr 1, 2012

Thank you :). The job market here in the UK is going through a very lean patch at the mo (as is our economy) so it's taking a lot longer than I anticipated if I'm honest. Plus my age (47) seems to be counting against me. It's an odd thing really, when you're young it's difficult to get on the career ladder because you have no experience and when you're older you have too much :confused:

Anyway there's no point getting down about it, I'm sure something will come up even if it means moving away from my profession and/or retraining or taking a manual labour job. At the moment I'm really enjoying the time with my family, catching up with all those DIY jobs I've been promising to do for years and the lovely spring weather we're having :cool:

Cheers,
    Gary

8. omegary Apr 2, 2012

Next up some Constellations (in no particular order)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Again if anyone wants more details or pics of a specific model just ask.

Cheers,
    Gary

gippo, mikechi22, lando and 2 others like this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2012

Never even seen half of those!

10. ulackfocus Apr 2, 2012

Really. The C-case with the textured blue dial is cool, and so is the 102x with the smoked blue dial. Cool!

11. omegary Apr 2, 2012

As you've probably gathered I'm a big fan of some of the transient technology from the early 70's. I love the thinking that went behind the likes of the Beta 21, tuning fork movements and Megaquartz's. Unlike modern, mass produced ETA quartz movements they were built exceptionally well and to last. Plus at the time they were ridiculously expensive as they were seen as the future of horology but these days they don't command anything like the prices of their mechanical cousins.

As for accuracy my old cal.1510 equipped Constellation 'Stardust' lost a grand total of 2 seconds a year (yes you read that right, a year!), not too shabby for a 40 year old :)

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Gary

mikechi22 likes this.
  12. omegary Apr 2, 2012

A couple of close ups of that lovely dial for you my friend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Gary

mikechi22 likes this.
  13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2012

That is the most epic quartz watch I've ever seen in so many ways. I've even been looking at buying one in the Seamaster Marine Chronometer but I had NO IDEA they did dials like that. Or date wheels like that.

14. omegary Apr 2, 2012

It's epic in every way imaginable.
    Only 1,000 ever made
    The most expensive standard production dial ever made by Omega (the glitter is actually crushed and hand applied aventurine crystal so no two dials are ever the same).
    Advertised as accurate to 1 second a month although most were far more accurate.
    Still one of the most accurate quartz movements ever made 40 years later.
    Fantastic case with real wrist presence, of all my watches over the years this one got the most reaction.

Here's a link to a very interesting article written by a friend of mine (hope it's okay to link to other forums).
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/omega-megaquartz-f2-4-overview-204165.html

And a few more pics, just because I can ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not sure if this will work or not but here's a crappy little video I did of mine which shows of that fantastic dial far better than any still image. (Oops lets try that again)

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g...rdust MQ/?action=view&current=MQ24MHzvid2.mp4

Cheers,
    Gary

gippo, jaguar11 and mikechi22 like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 2, 2012

Not a problem at all linking to other forums Gary, we're also fine with eBay, or anything of that nature.

16. omegary Apr 2, 2012

Thanks Ashly, I don't want to be thrown out before I've got started :thumbsup:

17. aga79 Apr 2, 2012

amazing.....::bleh::
    Very Nice watches and very nice shoots.....!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    more Gary, more....;)

18. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 2, 2012

Gorgeous watches! I like this one...

[​IMG]

Have any bumpers? :)

19. omegary Apr 2, 2012

Thanks Kyle, might have had a couple of bumpers ;)
    I'll post my Seamasters tomorrow, don't want to spoil you lot too much :D

Cheers,
    Gary

STEELE likes this.
  20. omegary Apr 5, 2012

Oops almost forgot about my Seamasters, sorry about that :oops:

Again in no particular order and if you want more info about any of the watches just ask.

[​IMG]
    The Memomatic was officially part of the Seamaster line up back in the day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Think that's the lot but I may have missed a few, anyhow that little lot should keep you out of mischief for a while ;)

Cheers,
    Gary

gippo, chipsotoole and Ton67 like this.