Forums Latest Members

Some jewelers have some really unbelievable price expectations....

1. omegaaddict Mar 25, 2017

So took my vintage seamaster cosmic to the only store in Dubai that specialized in vintage (who shall remain unnamed) watches as a last local resort to get it fixed at hopefully not too insane a price.

Whilst there i noticed that they had a BNIB CK2998 for sale... I thought this was very interesting given that i have recently purchased one from the AD.

I inquired about the price.... was quoted $7883!!!!! Now these guys's watches prices have always been out of whack, but asking for over 50% more than what the AD is selling it for?? the AD that still has a few pieces in stock might i add?? The AD that has a shop a few feet away from their's in the same shopping center??

I get that this shops caters to the un-initiated, offers some value add services such as having the vintage watches serviced and give a warranty with it and peace of mind, even then the prices make me cry sometimes . But this is straight up highway robbery, that or they are possibly h*!#h on something.

Not sure if this is the right place to post, needed to vent to someone! Share your similar stories of jewelers with extremely unrealistic expectations, I'm sure we could all use a good laugh or cry!

2. Spy You know my name. Mar 25, 2017

It is highway robbery to the one that pays it. Hmm. That should be in a fortune cookie.

3. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 25, 2017

Yes but They are in the financial district - catering to international bankers
    Like Somlo in London
    More money than sense...

4. omegaaddict Mar 25, 2017

But the AD is literally around the corner. Selling it for so much less [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I get being able to pull the hood over someone when it comes to a vintage watch where the value might be harder to determine for someone who isn't a WIS. But a modern watch, where a 1 min walk will showcase the proper price? Even a cursory internet search will yield plenty of quick accurate results

5. akshayluc420 Mar 25, 2017

I know them, they do have some really crazy prices simply because there isn't really any other outfit that sells/services vintage watches. Bit of a monopoly basically.

Give your watch to Omega in Dubai Mall, they will make sure that the watch is taken care off.

I saw a CK2998 in Festival City, and another in MoE. Go for it!

6. omegaaddict Mar 25, 2017

I bought the one in festival city couple f weeks ago.

This is just pointing out how ridiculous they're being sometimes

7. akshayluc420 Mar 25, 2017

Yup, Don't even think about buying any sort of tools, straps or watch-winders there either. Most of that stuff can be found on Amazon and even after delivery it would come out cheaper. :whistling:

Congrats on the CK! Wear in good health! :)

8. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 25, 2017

I refer to my previous statement m'lud ;)

And they can tell their friends how MUCH it cost

9. omegaaddict Mar 25, 2017

I'm well aware. I'm no noob hahaha. You should see what I posted about the winder I got recently. Amazing deal!