Forums Latest Members
  1. Y.S. Sep 10, 2014

Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

More than a year ago I posted here about a project I'm doing, of building a Constellation watch out of a 551 mechanism I found for a good price. Since then, I have found a 167.005 case (heavily polished, but still...), and came across 2 dials. The one above - I just won on eBay. I was not too sure about its authenticity, though the seller insured me that it is an original dial he bought from Omega. Regardless, I guess it's not identical to the one used originally in the 60's (font too bold, different "Omega" 'G' etc.).

I also came across this watch here, that seems to have a similar dial but with different characteristics. The dial is eggshell colored instead of a sunburst:

[​IMG]

I have also won another dial, eggshell colored, but I am afraid it is ruined beyond repair (this is my actual watch, minus the correct hands, crown and crystal):

[​IMG][​IMG]

Your thoughts? Is this repairable? Or should I use the sunburst dial in question? I don't want to make any more mistakes before I order yellow/white hands from ofrei... Desmond was already very helpful with giving me the correct measurements.

Thanks!

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 10, 2014

At the very least I'd say the first dial is a service (replacement) dial.

Seller is well known but not 100% reliable with their offerings.

Y.S. likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 10, 2014

The thing that worries me and it may just be a trick of the light, is the disparity between the width of the black stripes on the 12 o'clock marker.

4. Y.S. Sep 10, 2014

I hope it's only the camera angle. You may also notice that the Constellation star does not seem to be properly aligned, but I believe that is the case in some other photos of the "small" Constellation star dials... Hopefully.

5. ezinternet Sep 10, 2014

Hope doesn't enter it, Y.S., I think the star is "off". :-(

6. Y.S. Sep 10, 2014

Seems so...
    Well, I might try to fix the other dial, which is not a replacement dial but in very bad shape.
    Does anybody know if it is possible to extract the black onyxes from other dials and slide them on the empty markers?

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 10, 2014

People don't do it that way, they remove and change the whole marker

cicindela, Y.S. and watchyouwant like this.
  8. Y.S. Sep 16, 2014

Anyway, I have received the dial in question. It is not that bad, even though the star is not quite aligned. It is still a lot better than the one falling apart.
    Now I am waiting for a set of hands and a new crystal to complete the watch. The crystal I got with the case doesn't seem to fit quite well, even though it is an original Omega. Am I doing something wrong with the tension ring?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

<embed width="1280" hight="720" src="
    ">