Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 23, 2014

I aquired this set of internals in early straight lug Speedmaster case.I was told the former owner only had it serviced by Omega, in Switzerland.

The 321 movement is 26m (1968 by the Roman Chart) and the dial quite incorrect. (I bought the entire project for the case). The dial has a painted logo, and short indices, and "short spaceing" on the lower dial.

1-P5230015.jpg

The owners beneficary sold it to me and assured me that the watch had only ever been serviced by Omega in the late 1960's - And yes I do have a a healthy sceptical attitude when told things like that.

My question is, can this possibly be an original Omega dial?

Could it be that Omega replaced the dial and movement in the factory?

Is it a legitmate service dial from 1968?

The dial looks legitimate, however the spaceing of the T SWISS MADE T markings is closer than on any other painted logo dial I have seen. Here is a comparison shot of an 861 painted logo dial on the left.

1-P5230017.jpg

Has anyone seen one like this?

2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 23, 2014

It is from an 1990's as the dial is not stepped and no longer R which existed until the end of the 80's.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 23, 2014

Mr Kringkily I appreciate your input.
    I am unfamilliar with 1990's dials, but the few I can find show the wider space T SWISS T.
    I accept your points on the script, however until I see that layout on a late dial I am as yet unsatisfied I have arrived at the truth!
    Dont forget the dial is fitted to a 321, and that would mean if it was a 1990's dial the feet would have been modified.
    I suppose I should have the dial off and see....

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 23, 2014

I have seen both types of dials through my sales and if you flip the dial you should probably see some sort of alteration to the legs if it is truly fitting on a cal 321.

watchyouwant likes this.
  5. JohnSteed May 23, 2014

Ok Thomas :whistling:

6. g-boac May 24, 2014

Just to offer a theory. . .and I don't know whether it's correct. . .I have seen several straight-lug pre-Professionals which have had the misfortune of being "serviced" by Omega in the 80's. These examples had printed-logo, Speedmaster Professional tritium dials. I wonder whether in the late 70's through some later point, Omega serviced ANY calibre 321 Speedmaster with a service dial as Spacefruit shows above.

I know that today, applied-logo, luminova service dials are available for 321 calibre Speedmaster Professionals. But prior to the time when these were developed by Omega, during the Dark Times, perhaps they received the dial Spacefruit shows above.

It would be interesting to see what the dial feet pattern on this dial is!

7. pascs May 24, 2014

If you look in the side of the movement you should be able to see the dial feet without removing the dial. If its a 321 dial then you can tell just by looking at the dial feet where they meet the dial. The 321 dial feet have a thick base at the dial, out of which the pin comes out, but the 861 dial feet are straight from the dial.

I havent seen a short T SWISS MADE T before on a latter 861 dial, I'm not sure what 861 model that comes from?

watchyouwant likes this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2014

Me too. Its the short SWISS markings bothering me.
    From looking I can see the feet are straight out, with a thicker end or sleeve, like the 861 dials.
    ...But its on a 321

9. pascs May 25, 2014

This is a good image that shows the difference between 861 (left) and 321 (right) dials

[​IMG]

I think a 861 dial can easily fit on a 321 movement as long as the feet as long enough to meet the securing screws

But all this seems strange if it was only serviced in the late 60's as the flat 861 dial must surely be from much later

watchyouwant likes this.
  10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 25, 2014

Agree with Kringkily here that it's a mid 90s dial - as pointed out everything about the dial is consistent with this with the exception of the tritium being closer to swiss made than what is typical. In my mind, that isn't enough to postulate it is much earlier than that. The alternative of course is that this is a clever fake or repaint which is less likely. And I would put little weight on the watch having been serviced only once by omega in the 1960s.

11. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 25, 2014

It's the dial fitted on Speedmasters from about 1991 to 1995 (type C5 for those who have Moonwatch Only)

red crowned likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 25, 2014

The current replacement dials for the Cal. 321 come with both applied and painted logos, and I feel as others have said this is a later replacement dial - maybe 90's and simply before they made the switch from tritium to luminova.

Cheers, Al

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  13. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 25, 2014

Sorry I replied too fast..,didn't see about the Ts. They are too close and the color of the markers is too dark for a dial of the 90's.
    then it's probably a service dial (=the dial fitted after 1996) withTs added and markers redone.

it is simple to test if this is tritim markets: leave the dial at leadt 24 hours in the dark, then go to a dark room. Tritium from the 90's should still bright in absence of light, whereas luminova dials need light

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 25, 2014

Yeah.....about that......Still waiting!!

At some point Ill have the dial off, but from viewing sideways, I see feet for an 861.

I'll stick in the safe for 24 hrs and let you know

15. atc100 Aug 18, 2017

Hi guys I need help on this also, found it on ebay seems like it is the same dial as @spacefruits.what is conclusion on this, the guy has put wrong description then or? If it is so can someone reported to ebay.tnx
    Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/302411037774Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network[​IMG][​IMG]

red crowned likes this.
  16. atc100 Aug 18, 2017

Pic[​IMG][​IMG]

red crowned likes this.